Menu

Guess what is being reprinted...

Ok, now I know there are a few book geeks who are going to be doing a happy dance with me... Guess what is finally going to be in print again...A book I learned about here....That I had to get from ILL and we loved and I can't wait to own....

The Chestry Oak by Kate Seredy!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

We only have a month to wait!

• Like 13

I have several cloth copies of that book. It is the best.book.ever. If you want to know what integrity, honor, and self-sacrifice look like, read that book.

I have read the Good Master--in fact, I own a copy--but it did not affect me the way the Chestry Oak does. I cry the ugly cry through the whole book. I am not making that up, lol.

I read it for the first time when I was in high school, and I enjoyed it, but it didn't live in my heart until I read it as an adult. I read it aloud to each of my daughters when they were about 9yo; we'd sit on the sofa, I with a big cloth napkin in hand, and I'd say, "Dear, Mommy is going to cry in this chapter." "Dear, Mommy is going to cry big sobs in this chapter." They cried with me, but I don't know if it was because they really got it or if they were crying with me, lol.

• Like 9

I have several cloth copies of that book. It is the best.book.ever. If you want to know what integrity, honor, and self-sacrifice look like, read that book.

I have read the Good Master--in fact, I own a copy--but it did not affect me the way the Chestry Oak does. I cry the ugly cry through the whole book. I am not making that up, lol.

I read it for the first time when I was in high school, and I enjoyed it, but it didn't live in my heart until I read it as an adult. I read it aloud to each of my daughters when they were about 9yo; we'd sit on the sofa, I with a big cloth napkin in hand, and I'd say, "Dear, Mommy is going to cry in this chapter." "Dear, Mommy is going to cry big sobs in this chapter." They cried with me, but I don't know if it was because they really got it or if they were crying with me, lol.

You were the one that recommended it to me. :D I can't wait until it's ready to ship from Amazon. 

• Like 1

What's the reading level?

I'm not sure the actual reading difficulty level, but my DD enjoyed it as a read-aloud at age 9, and it didn't strike me as an overly difficult book -- I recall thinking I could have given it to her to read herself at that time...not that I would have wanted to, because I enjoyed reading it aloud so much.  But I think it could be an interesting book for older kids as well (and clearly some of us adults enjoy it too!)  :-) 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Uh-oh! I just ordered the Chestry Oak and am planning on it being a read-aloud. Mental note: do NOT read this book at certain times of the month!

• Like 1

And. . .you've sold me on buying it. I love reading books that make me cry.

• Like 1

Wow! I'm so glad to learn about this book. One of my dc read The White Stag because he was reading through all of the Newberry Medal book, but I haven't read any other books by this author. We need some great read alouds this year! This is going on my to-read list. 

Thank you Kirsten!

Wow! I'm so glad to learn about this book. One of my dc read The White Stag because he was reading through all of the Newberry Medal book, but I haven't read any other books by this author. We need some great read alouds this year! This is going on my to-read list. 

Thank you Kirsten!

Oh if you liked The White Stag, definitely get The Good Master. 

...and if you like The Good Master, definitely get The Singing Tree (1939). Talk about a crying book: to read it with the knowledge (that the characters and even the author didn't have) of what was coming up next in European history is just crushing. The setting is World War I, but I don't know if it's better for kids to read this before or after studying World War II. Maybe before and then let them come back to it when they are older.

I also wonder about reading certain of Seredy's works in some kind of sequence, starting with The White Stag (1937). She kind of does a prefiguring of that stuff in a chapter of The Good Master (1935), but if one were following a chronological path, The White Stag would come first and The Chestry Oak (1955) would come after The Open Gate (1943), which would follow the two Jancsi books. The Singing Tree is the only one that is truly a sequel.

Anyway you do it, Seredy is a master storyteller - and a wonderful artist, too! She contributed so much to children's literature in that area alone: collaborations with Carol Ryrie Brink, Ruth Sawyer, Elizabeth Janet Gray, Margery Bianco, Doris Gates, Andre Norton, and more.

• Like 2

My daughter brought it as one of her book club suggestions this past week (the girls each bring three books and everyone votes to pick one book from each girls' suggestions). She couldn't talk them into it though - Mr. Lemoncello's Library was more their speed. I think those girls don't know what they are missing! ;-). I am really eager for my boys to get just a bit older so I can share it with them. :-)

• Like 1