Menu

What are you reading right now?

Luanne

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished rereading Persuasion by Jane Austen.

Good Omens by Pratchett & Gaiman

And listening to My Antonia by Willa Cather when I happen to be alone in the car. Except I'm currently sidetracked by the Serial podcast.

Did you listen to the BBC Good Omens (or is that what you ment you were sidetracked by)?

Just in case any Good Omens lovers missed it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knt4h

I got Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good by Jan Karon for christmas I'm about 3/4 of the way through. I have loved this series, but this isn't the best one.

I've read this series.  My daughter and mother have as well.  We have this book on hold at the library.

Some religion books. I read The First Paul (Marcus Borg) the other day and liked it very much. I finished James Tabor's Paul and Jesus today, and it was also interesting, but I thought the material at the end should have been at the beginning. Next I'm going to read No God But God (Reza Aslan)--I thought Zealot was fascinating.

Just finished: What I Remember Most by Cathy Lamb

Just starting: Emperor by Stephen Baxter

Read alouds:

Just finished: The Grimm Conclusion by Adam Gidwitz

Just starting: The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley (at DS's request - he saw me reading the most recent in the series, and once he knew what it was about, insisted on the series as read alouds.  He wants a chem lab just like Flavia's.)

I'm currently reading quite a few books. Balancing which one to read when has been tricky.

The Luminaries - for book club. We meet Tuesday and I'm hoping I can finish by then.

The Brothers Karamazov - reading with a goodreads group

On the Origin of the Species - also with a goodreads group

Paragon Walk - an historical mystery. The library loan expired yesterday, so I can't turn on wifi on my Kindle until I finish. :D

Vanity Fair - listening on the audible app on my phone when I work around the house

I don't think I missed any. I have way too many going at once, and need to finish a few. I'm getting ready to try and tackle Ulysses with a goodreads group (I'm also in too many goodreads groups lol).

How are you liking it? I've been going back and forth on deciding to read this one.

Not Word Nerd, but I read Station Eleven recently, and loved it. It was such a different way to look at the apocalypse theme. Lovely is the best word I can think of to describe it.

I am about a quarter of the way through The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. This is the first of his that I have read and I'm not sure it's for me. I keep setting it aside. I am going to keep trying though.

I just finished re-reading Mockingjay last night. DH and I saw part one of the movie and I couldn't remember what happened at the end. I originally read the series in 2011.

I'm listening to In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides. Just barely started, 42 minutes in, out of 17 hours.

I am also re-reading The Giver and am going to read the rest of the series.

To the kiddos I am reading The Boxcar Children and The Cabin Faced West.

I'm about 150 pages from the end of The Bone Clocks.  It IS very slow... but picks up at about the last 1/4.  It's probably the slowest of the books I've read of his.  Definitely much slower than Cloud Atlas., which I loved.

You'll find that at the end of each of those big chapters that something interesting happens...and then it's pretty gripping throughout "Horologist's Labyrinth" (I'm almost done with that one).

it's the only book I'm currently reading.  I tried a book on tape at the new year, but it was awful and I gave up after several chapters.

For myself,

The Map Thief: The Gripping Story of an Esteemed Rare-Map Dealer Who Made Millions Stealing Priceless Maps by Michael Blanding.    This is on the recommendation from a friend.  Having trouble getting into it, but she raved about it so I am giving it time.  Perhaps I could get into it more if I picked up well before bedtime:). 

With Dd

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.  This is a book club selection.  I've read it before and am loving it again. 

I'll have to add to the list with some of the great selections here.

I'm about 150 pages from the end of The Bone Clocks. It IS very slow... but picks up at about the last 1/4. It's probably the slowest of the books I've read of his. Definitely much slower than Cloud Atlas., which I loved.

You'll find that at the end of each of those big chapters that something interesting happens...and then it's pretty gripping throughout "Horologist's Labyrinth" (I'm almost done with that one).

it's the only book I'm currently reading. I tried a book on tape at the new year, but it was awful and I gave up after several chapters.

Thank you! I just read another 60 pages or so this afternoon. I liked the first chapter, but the second one drug on until Hugo met up with Holly. I'm a bit into "The Wedding Bash" now. Thank you for the encouragement!

I didn't read The Cloud Atlas, but saw the movie.

I am trying to read for enjoyment more... but my house isn't very quiet...

I am reading and loving Pigs In Heaven, by Barbara Kingsolver. It is the sequel to The Bean Trees (which I loved). I have also read Animal Dreams, loved it as well.

I enjoy Kingsolver. I enjoyed The Lacuna and The Prodigal Summer. I haven't read her newest novel. I should add it to my list.

Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life, by Margaret Kim Peterson.  It's like a theology of housework.  I'm really enjoying it.

God the Holy Spirit, by Martyn Lloyd-Jones.  This is my current Kindle book.

And I just received How to Read and Do Proofs, by Daniel Solow, through interlibrary loan.  I know I read about this one here, don't remember who mentioned it.  Gotta read it quickly - it's due back in less than two weeks, with no renewals!

how did you like it?  I started that earlier this year, but it was slow and I gave up.  I loved "Father Elijah".  Is it worth it to try this one again?

I'm only about 3/4 of the way through but so far it's one of those books keeping me up late at night. I don't want to give too much away in case anyone wants to read this in the future but it is a difficult read. A real sucker punch to the gut kind of book but I keep reading because of the high points and because I want to see how Jopin's life evolves. Overall I give it a thumbs up and hopefully I will still feel this way when it's over.

For myself,

The Map Thief: The Gripping Story of an Esteemed Rare-Map Dealer Who Made Millions Stealing Priceless Maps by Michael Blanding.    

With Dd

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.  This is a book club selection.  I've read it before and am loving it again. 

The Map Thief looks interesting. I know from experience though that an interesting subject doesn't always make a good book.

I read The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan and liked it. I've been meaning to read The Joy Luck Club but just keep forgetting about it.

For me:

Snap: Making the Most of First Impressions, Body Language, and Charisma (Patti Wood)

The Imaginary World of ______  (Keri Smith)

To DD:

Bomb: The Race to Make, and Steal, the World's Most Dangerous Weapon (Steve Sheinkin)

The Lost Princess (George MacDonald)

I'm only about 3/4 of the way through but so far it's one of those books keeping me up late at night. I don't want to give too much away in case anyone wants to read this in the future but it is a difficult read. A real sucker punch to the gut kind of book but I keep reading because of the high points and because I want to see how Jopin's life evolves. Overall I give it a thumbs up and hopefully I will still feel this way when it's over.

I had that sinking feeling it may be that kind of book when I started it.  I may wait until after the winter blues to start it.  I had a friend who read it in less than a week!! So loved it.

The kids and I are reading through the Attack on Titan books while waiting for the next season of the anime and the live-action movie to come out.

On my own:  Hikaru No Go   which is about the game of Go or Baduk which is quite fascinating.  That you can become a pro-player while still in Jr. High and make a career of it that pays good money.  It's a very interesting game all about strategy.

Plus, I'm studying seed catalogs and chickens in preparation for our spring hobbies.

I just finished The Throne of Glass by Sarah Mass.  It is sort of eh.  Maybe 3 stars.  Maybe 2.5.  Not really bad, but sort of silly.  It seemed like the author added little bits here and there to make it more...something...exciting..or romantic... but it didn't quite work.  Oh well.  YA fiction that my dd got for Christmas.

I am currently reading Grandma Gatewoods Walk - the story of a 67 year old woman who just one day decided to walk the Appalachian trail.  Alone.  With a small backpack, wearing Keds.  Hoping to do a little Appalachian hiking this spring (but maybe just for a day - not a thru hike!)

I'm also reading A Prayer For Owen Meany.  Thanks to this thread.  And Steelheart (Reckoners Book 1).  Also thanks to this thread, I think.  I love it when overdrive has a book that one of you guys recommends!

Dh and I watched the short-lived series. I keep meaning to read the books - or at least try the first few to see if I like them. The tv show was campy and fun. Are the books like that too?

I am a die hard fan and still can't bring myself to watch the travesty that the series was.  If you liked it, then there is no doubt you'd love the books.  The first one isn't great in comparison to the rest but hang in there with it.  They are fun, witty, gritty, full of fun references, adventure, loyalty, friendship, hope, and they can also be very dark.  Harry Dresden is one of my all time favorite characters.

I am a die hard fan and still can't bring myself to watch the travesty that the series was.  If you liked it, then there is no doubt you'd love the books.  The first one isn't great in comparison to the rest but hang in there with it.  They are fun, witty, gritty, full of fun references, adventure, loyalty, friendship, hope, and they can also be very dark.  Harry Dresden is one of my all time favorite characters.

I watched some of the series and loved the premise and the lead actor but some of it was to silly or just didn't make sense.  Glad to know there are books and that they are better, off to search Overdrive and Library Cat.