Menu

What are you reading right now?

Luanne

I am reading Plato: All that Matters ... and thoroughly enjoying it.  I am also reading Prince Caspian and started reading Gateway to the Great Books.  It was very enjoyable to read about John Stuart Mill's education.  I just finished a book about Count Zinzendorf.

So, tell me, what are you in the process of reading currently?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Nurse Voices: Doctors (not sure if that's the actual title, I put the library bag in the car and don't want to brave the cold to go out there and look). I'm starting my review of Anatomy and Physiology (I still need to take the classes though for prereqs since the one I took wasn't very in depth and no lab)

For fun: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

Personal Religious Study: Old Testament Verse by Verse, Volume 1 (and so also the Old Testament)

Out loud to the boys: The Librarian: Unhappily Ever After

I'm about to start Dante's Inferno (along with the 14 year old) and The Well-Trained Mind (re-read it every so often).

I am about a quarter of the way through The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. This is the first of his that I have read and I'm not sure it's for me. I keep setting it aside. I am going to keep trying though.

I just finished re-reading Mockingjay last night. DH and I saw part one of the movie and I couldn't remember what happened at the end. I originally read the series in 2011.

I'm listening to In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides. Just barely started, 42 minutes in, out of 17 hours.

I am also re-reading The Giver and am going to read the rest of the series.

To the kiddos I am reading The Boxcar Children and The Cabin Faced West.

The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto

Naomi: a Novel by Junichiro

1177 BC: the year civilization collapsed by Cline

in the car to dh: 

The Innovators by Isaacson

and random knitting books I'm picking up and putting down: 

Knitting Around by Elizabeth Zimmermann

and 

something about circular needles 

I recently finished The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace (which I highly recommend) and A Fighting Chance by Elizabeth Warren. I started Doris Kearns Goodwin's The Bully Pulpit but got waylaid by Starvation Heights popping up on my library holds.

Starvation Heights is really good, it's facinating non-fiction about a quack doctor in the early 20th century from my state who was sent to prison for starving her patients to death.

I also have been reading a bunch of different things on the history of marriage, domestic history and wives.

The Last Passenger- Manel Loureiro

Watership Down- I recently was having a conversation with friends about books we read as children that stuck with us. Watership Down came up and from the convo, I realized I'd never finished it! Whoops!

When Children Love to Learn

Together with dd: The Long Winter

Nothing. I started "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" one evening and then dreamed about sea monsters all night. Really! I really need to pick up the Illiad again and finish it.

I ordered "Rubicon:The Last years of the Roman Republic" by Tom Holland and it came today and I started it. It looks really good.

Reading Funny in Farsi to dd. She hasn't wanted me to read to her since 4th grade, but she wants me to read it, has been sick, and invited me to read it to her aloud. It's hilarious.

I am a lot of picture books to prepare for January preschool, too. :laugh:

ETA: Oh, totally forgot, I'm reading The Daniel Plan and the accompanying cookbook, as well as my reading for my class, which is Theology for a Troubled Believer.

Currently:

The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (also known as the "Jefferson Bible")

Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina, Michaela De Prince

I just finished listening to the audio versions of the Parasol Protectorate series (Gail Carriger). I had read the first three in paperback as they were published, but then kind of petered out with them. The first book in the new series is being released in February, though, and I wanted to catch up. So, I listened to all five in a row. 

Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art (Madeleine L'Engle).

I'm reading 2-3 of L'Engle's collected poems in "The Ordering of Love" each morning.

Anne Perry's "A Christmas Promise."

I'm reading aloud "Frightful's Mountain" by Jean Craighead George to DS.  

I started The Prince of Tides--huge book, don't know if I'll ever finish.  Most of my reading time right now has been dedicated to books about homeschooling.  Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire is waiting for me to pick up at the library, and I just finished a couple others.  I did just finish the audio book "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.  Also recently read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.  I highly recommend it to other Christians.  And we will be starting The Hobbit on Monday for school. 

Oh, I am also listening to Rogues on audible during my morning walk/jogs. It is a collection of short stories mostly by fantasy authors and compiled by George RR Martin. I wound up skipping a couple of the stories because they were too...well...dirty for *me* to listen to out loud. But, it is a pretty long book, most of them have been fine.