Menu

Dr Hive cramps

Melissa in Australia

Calling Dr Hive

I need some suggestions for DS17. He is about 6 foot 2 inches and very slim. He rides his bike around 20 km a day, plus walks 10 km plus swims in the ocean for about 40 minutes plus a bit of jogging. He is getting really bad lag cramps. Is there something that anyone can recommend that would help? he drinks lots of milk and has a very healthy diet.

I'm envious of his daily activities! I've been sick for weeks and I miss being active.

If that is his normal activity level you may want to look at electrolyte supplements that include salt. They don't require adjusting your cooking or choking down quarts of Gatorade. My dd really likes SaltStick capsules bc they are easy to swallow and do the job.

I get constant muscle cramps just as part of my health situation.  

I always take magnesium (the biggest thing I need to do for my health condition).

I get enough calcium from my food.

But if my cramps get worse, I always add a banana.  

And I'll add an electrolyte solution to water to make an electrolyte drink.  The thing about electrolytes is that it can include trace minerals that can have a big effect.  It also includes sodium but our body often loses other minerals along with sodium when we sweat so doing a mix can help with that. 

A lot of bikers swear by mustard--some carry a little pack in their bike bag. DH occasionally gets leg cramps at night but they subside quickly if I can get a bit of mustard in him quickly enough. No idea why it works, but it might be worth a try in addition to the other tips.

I would try magnesium

I was talking to one guy who said during his nutrition section, it came out that coconut WATER (NOT coconut milk) has the same electrolyte balance as people are supposed to have.  so, it's a good source if your electrolytes are out of balance.

Tammyla, on 01 Jan 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

I had a friend who always pushed bananas  for cramps.   They're a healthy snack, so they became and easy little something to add. 

bananas are a good source of potassium - which is an electrolyte mineral.

thank you everyone.

we will try the magnesium and perhaps a little more salt. I will let him know about the mustard.

We only have bananas for a few days a month. they are very expensive locally ( well over $4kg) so we only buy them when I do a big shop at the Aldi ( over 100 km away)

He has a huge amount of fresh fruit and veggies every day. We live self sufficiently and have a garden bigger than a tennis court plus a huge orchard.

We don't do sports drink ( poison)