Menu

What was your last **enjoyable** read aloud?

This is my perennial question I guess. We had to stop Black Beauty mid way as we found it tedious. So taking a break from animal narrations for a while. Before this, we had a good run with books featuring girl characters (Flora and Ulysses, Pollyana, Calpurnia), so would not mind a break from those either as I have a boy ;)

We are reading Beowolf as well as Nordic tales as read alouds at the same time, so I want something less schooly and more enjoyable, because by bedtime we are pretty fried.

Thinking of giving Sherlock another go. He did not understand every single thing in the first round so I put it aside...

We really enjoyed The Hound of the Baskervilles as a read aloud.  It's creepy enough to be fun!  

We liked The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken, too.  The first 3 books of that series were great, but we didn't like the rest and evenutally abandoned the series.

We loved reading The Hobbit aloud!

The girls adored Tom's Midnight Garden.

We all loved Thurber's 13 Clocks 

We really enjoyed The Hound of the Baskervilles as a read aloud.  It's creepy enough to be fun!  

We liked The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken, too.  The first 3 books of that series were great, but we didn't like the rest and evenutally abandoned the series.

We loved reading The Hobbit aloud!

The girls adored Tom's Midnight Garden.

We all loved Thurber's 13 Clocks 

Thanks, we did love the first of the Wolves but were not compelled to go on.

We read the Hobbit a couple of years ago and he is supposed to read it in Lit class this semester. Hound of Baskervilles is the one we started and stopped; I was enjoying it but I thought some of Holmes commentary was above DS's head...I think I will go back to it because then at least one of us is having fun, LOL.

Will look into Tom's midnight Garden, thanks!

My son loved The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald.  The main characters are a rough group of boys.  It's set in turn-of-the-century Utah (I'm pretty sure it was Utah).  It does have some dark content, though - one of the shopkeepers starves to death...the kids bring up a lot of religious issues (the community has Mormons, other Christians and one of the shopkeepers was Jewish)...there is a new school teacher in town that the boys hate (because he's hitting the boys at school), so they try to get him fired by framing him for something...  Just saying, it's not for everyone, but my son really enjoyed the book.  That was probably his favorite book this year. 

Anything in the Wings of Fire series . . . the newest one just arrived here yesterday, but we have to wait for a bit before starting because it is a birthday present for one of the kids.

Oh, and dd#2 & dd#3's short chapter book based on the characters in 8FilltheHeart's Treasured Conversations. ... But it was pretty short (only eight chapters).

The Potato Chip Puzzles by Eric Berlin. It's a sequel. We liked working the puzzles together. I often try to do read alouds that the kids can't quite tackle on their own yet or wouldn't, but this was one they could have done, we just did it read aloud anyway and it was fun. Good series.

Before that, we had a run of Chrestomanci books and we're back to another one, reading Conrad's Fate. The kids agreed that they liked The Lives of Christopher Chant the best of the bunch thus far (haven't done Pinhoe Egg or Magicians of Caprona yet - and only a little ways in on Conrad's Fate). You can read them in any order, which is nice. But I'm a Diana Wynne Jones nut, so there's that.

My son loved The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald.  The main characters are a rough group of boys.  It's set in turn-of-the-century Utah (I'm pretty sure it was Utah).  It does have some dark content, though - one of the shopkeepers starves to death...the kids bring up a lot of religious issues (the community has Mormons, other Christians and one of the shopkeepers was Jewish)...there is a new school teacher in town that the boys hate (because he's hitting the boys at school), so they try to get him fired by framing him for something...  Just saying, it's not for everyone, but my son really enjoyed the book.  That was probably his favorite book this year. 

My kids enjoyed this one as well

We just finished reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, and it was fun!

I've been reading The Horse and His Boy aloud and liking it.  It's a little tedious, and it's not, IMO (or my DD's opinion), the best of the Narnia books, but it's okay.  She knows that Prince Caspian and Dawn Treader are coming after, and they're exciting.

We are just finishing up the Chronicles of Prydain. We are about 50 pp. into the last book. The Welsh names presented a learning curve at the beginning but we all love the story.

For Christmas we enjoyed Madeleine L' Engle's The Twenty Four Days Christmas and The Gift of the Magi.

Farmer Boy was a hit here in the the fall.

The two we've enjoyed the most so far have been The Hobbit and The Wind in the Willows.

We also enjoyed Little Britches mentioned above but I don't consider it a read aloud as I got the kids the audiobooks. 8 books was too much for me and I wanted to read other things.

We are currently enjoying the annotated version of The Secret Garden very much but we're only 1/4 of the way through.

I personally really liked Heidi but I think my boys thought it was a bit slow at points

I am reading the Indian in the Cupboard right now and it's very fun to read.

The Oz books and some of the Chronicles of Narnia books were good.

We really liked The Rescuers and some of the sequels.

The Jungle Book was really good in parts and slow in others. Overall I liked it.

My Side of the Mountain--I think it would have been better a bit later but I loved it 

Some that we didn't like too much due to length mostly: Swiss Family Robinson (just too long for their age and some very difficult vocabulary)

DS1 (almost 5) and I both loved just loved a book called Caroline and Her Kettle Named Maud by Miriam E. Mason. It's like a old-fashioned frontier feminist fable suitable for kindergarteners, which sounds nuts, but somehow it works. 

We have enjoyed these as recent read alouds:

Charlotte's Web (July/August) -- absolutely wonderful to read aloud, especially if you use different voices for the various characters ;)

Farmer Boy (September) -- all of us enjoyed this book again (they have listened to it on AB many times)

The Cricket in Times Square (October) -- my personal favorite recent RA, I'm glad to have read this to my girls

The Horse & His Boy (November) -- this was a bit slow in some places; not my favorite Narnia book

Betsy-Tacy; Betsy-Tacy & Tib (December) -- we're not quite done yet; these books are easy to read and fun for girls

Next we will be reading:

Mr. Popper's Penguins (January)

Caddie Woodlawn (February/March)

Tales from Beatrix Potter (April)

Peter Pan (May/June)

Alice in Wonderland (June/July)

My girls are in 2nd, 2nd, and 4th Grades. I choose what I think will appeal to all of them, not just the oldest. I have to want to read it myself, too. We also read aloud children's classic stories (even-numbered weeks) and poetry (odd-numbered weeks). We have a basket for each of these, plus the Chapter Books basket. HTH.

I don't think we've had a bad read aloud. They have particularly liked recently: the Mysterious Benedict Society, True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, the Silver Chair (Narnia), Caddie Woodlawn. Right now we are reading Treasures in the Snow. It's a sweet story, but a little too.... something. The good characters are too good and the bad character is too bad and you know there's a lesson in there just waiting for you. But the kids seem to like it.

I forgot to add that they seemed to like "Understood Betsy", too. There was a book a while back.... I can't remember what it was, somehow I think it was Rosemary Suttcliffe's version of The Odessey and I was reading it aloud to my oldest boy and we were at the end and he literally would not let me quit reading. I think read 5 chapters that morning, just because it was so exciting. I admit to having been sucked in, too, so I wasn't too hard to convince to keep reading. But that one was pretty exciting.

At that age my boys absolutely loved The Indian in the Cupboard series.  I did, too.  

Right now I'm reading Watership Down to my nine year old and we're both enjoying it.  I keep hearing about people who didn't like it at all so I'm a little worried about the second half of the book, but so far so good.

I'm also reading The Road to my older boys (12 and 14).  It's definitely not a typical read-aloud, but I love the language and the intensity of emotion in it and the boys and I are having some fantastic discussions about the various scenarios in the book.

Recently my kids have enjoyed:

Johnny Tremain

The Mysterious Benedict Society

Carry On Mr. Bowditch

The Mysterious Benedict Society was the book that turned my reluctant reader into an avid reader.  He got it for Christmas when he was ten and never looked back.  

We are just finishing up the Chronicles of Prydain. We are about 50 pp. into the last book. The Welsh names presented a learning curve at the beginning but we all love the story.

I read those as a kid and they stuck with me more than any other books.  I haven't read them to my kids yet, but maybe that's what we'll do next.

My best friend and I wrote a song and a poem about the series and I think I can still recite them both by memory today :)

Our favorite ever was Momo by Michael Ende.

Our LAST enjoyable read-aloud was The Rescuers. Typically, I don't keep reading a book neither of us enjoy. Some of our other favorites have been:

Nurse Matilda

At the Back of the North Wind

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Because of Winn-Dixie

A Bear Called Paddington

Coraline (a little creepy, good for around Halloween)

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

We're in the middle of The Lost Princess and enjoying it. Bomb, which we're reading for school has been surprisingly enjoyable, especially considering the subject matter.

Interestingly, The Moffats.

I would not have predicted that my boys would like it as well as they did.  We are currently reading The MIddle Moffat.

ETA to add more info.

We recently finished Farmer Boy. It was about 50 pages too long for us.

Another big favorite was The Hobbit.

John Bellairs books have all been big hits as read-alouds. Very well written and spooky!

The Princess Bride is an excellent read aloud. There's a super long introduction and you can feel free to skip that if you want to. It's fun if you've seen the movie, it's fun if you haven't. It's fun to read parts of it and then watch the parts in the movie, then read more, watch more, etc.

I'm reading A Little Princess to the boys right now (same author as The Secret Garden) and they love it.

My son loved The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald. The main characters are a rough group of boys. It's set in turn-of-the-century Utah (I'm pretty sure it was Utah). It does have some dark content, though - one of the shopkeepers starves to death...the kids bring up a lot of religious issues (the community has Mormons, other Christians and one of the shopkeepers was Jewish)...there is a new school teacher in town that the boys hate (because he's hitting the boys at school), so they try to get him fired by framing him for something... Just saying, it's not for everyone, but my son really enjoyed the book. That was probably his favorite book this year.

My sensitive 7 yo girl loved it too, as did I.