Menu

Looking for a good poetry collection (8 and 6 year old audience)

TheAttachedMama

We have been reading through the poetry of A.A. Milne:  When We Were Very Young, and Now We Are Six.  Both have resonated with my 5, 6 and 7-year-olds.  They beg for more, and for their favorites to be read many times.  The illustrations in my copies are by Ernest Shepard, and one is in color.  

I also like A Child's Book of Poems by Gyo Fujikawa.  The illustrations are gorgeous, and the collection contains many of the classic children's poems.

I second the recommendations for the AA Milne poetry and A Child's Book of Poems by Fujikawa. When ds was 7, he cried at the last page of the Fujikawa book because he wanted the book to last forever. We are planning to reread it as a family again now that dd is 6. There is a poem at the end of the Milne's "Now we are Six" book called "The End" that ds memorized when he was 6 and dd memorized now that she is 6. It is a short, cute recitation for a 6 year old.

Favorite Poems Old and New is my other read aloud recommendation. It is thick and will last for 2 or more years of poetry read alouds. We have this as an end table book and just pick it up once in a while to read when we have a few minutes to spare. I have selected several pieces for poetry memorization from that collection as well.

Thanks everyone!  We have read through A.A. Milne already as well as a lot of Stevenson.  We own Favorite poems old and new, but my kids don't really like me reading from it for some reason.   We use it more to FIND poems when we want something to copy into our nature notebook.  

HOWEVER---  I bet my kids would love Shel Silverstein though. 

Hi Everyone,  Just an update.....

I just purchased The Barefoot Book of Classic Poetry and Where the Sidewalk Ends.   These should last us awhile (and be a good mix).  I'm thinking I am just going to keep them in the kitchen and read through them when we break for snacks and stuff.   (Feed their bellies with food and their souls with some poetry at the same time. ;) )

Thanks so much for the ideas!   (I can't believe I haven't read the kids Shel Silverstein yet.   I am excited to share it with them.)   :) 

I was going to suggest The Barefoot Book of Classic Poetry, so I'm glad you found it. :)

The others I love are the Caroline Kennedy collections with the illustrations by Jon Muth. They're lovely and well chosen and a little more modern than the Barefoot selections.

I really find that poetry is one of the best things to get from the library. We have a few books, but we always get a pile from the library. In addition to Shel Silverstein, look for Jack Prelutsky, Marilyn Singer, Judith Viorst, Jane Yolen, and Lee Bennett Hopkins...