Menu

What do you do with Smoked Salmon

Jean in Newcastle

is it a filet?

slice thinly. enjoy with crackers, capers, thinly sliced purple onion & maybe a creamy mayo/mustard sauce.

Also good used in quiche or scrambled eggs.

probably would work well in pasta, also, although I haven't tried that since I usually use canned smoked salmon in pasta dishes.

Everything?

My son's favorite lunch or breakfast is a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

It works well with egg and pasta dishes. It makes a nice New Year's Day spread.

If you need help eating your smoked salmon, you can pitch it in a northwesterly direction over the lake and I will take care of it.

Most people slice a French baguette (or get out crackers or cucumber slices for the low carb set) and fix up little bowls of toppings: thinly sliced red onions, sour cream (and/or cream cheese), capers, dill, chives, hard boiled egg, caviar, cucumber, lemon wedges, tomatoes, radishes-you want everything thinly sliced and cut into smallish pieces so that it fits on the bread slices easily. You don't generally do all of these things, just 3-5 of them. You can also mix some like you could mix the dill into the cream cheese or the chives into the sour cream.

So, you might have a bowl with chives mixed with cream cheese, one with red onions, one with capers and one with boiled egg or some other combination that sounds good to you.

It may seem like a silly question based on where I live but I was given this huge smoked salmon for Christmas and have no idea what to do with it.  I've eaten smoked salmon at a buffet but this will just be for use in our family.  

You eat it:) Then when you have had your fill you let the rest of the family share whats left:)

Re: smoked salmon, what's everyone's preference related to the manner in which it's smoked? Dry-smoked or brine-smoked?

Growing up in Alaska, we ate obscene amounts of smoked salmon. But dry smoked only. I never even encountered the brine-smoked type until I moved out of state. To be honest, it kind of freaks me out.

My favorite way to eat it is on a Ritz cracker with cream cheese. Yum. Or just plain. But now that I have to buy my smoked salmon, I try to stretch it with cream cheese and crackers.

Growing up in Alaska, we ate obscene amounts of smoked salmon. But dry smoked only. I never even encountered the brine-smoked type until I moved out of state. To be honest, it kind of freaks me out.

My favorite way to eat it is on a Ritz cracker with cream cheese. Yum. Or just plain. But now that I have to buy my smoked salmon, I try to stretch it with cream cheese and crackers.

You just mentioned that to make me jealous, didn't you! LOL!

The go-to recipe in our home, is the soft burrito shell recipe, where you mix smoked salmon with cream cheese, spread evenly over inside of burrito shell, then roll tightly and slice into small wheels.

My Alaskan in-laws do both. The brine salmon ends up drained and mixed with cream cheese, garlic, and onion to eat on Ritz. The dry-smoked is my preference and I might just eat it with my fingers or a fork accompanied by other snacky foods (olives, sliced avocados, pickles, crackers). We traditionally eat it for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. We are blessed by a gift of smoked, canned, and frozen salmon each year from DH's parents!

You just mentioned that to make me jealous, didn't you! LOL!

The go-to recipe in our home, is the soft burrito shell recipe, where you mix smoked salmon with cream cheese, spread evenly over inside of burrito shell, then roll tightly and slice into small wheels.

I had no idea how lucky I was! I will have to try the tortilla roll-up!

I had no idea how lucky I was! I will have to try the tortilla roll-up!

LOL. Yeah, DH says he ate so much salmon that having chicken was a huge treat. My family thought he was insane ;). After a couple years out of Alaska he enjoyed the salmon again.

For our wedding reversal dinner we had a casual backyard BBQ with loads of salmon my in-laws brought down. Heavenly! Much better than a fancy expensive restaurant presentation of inferior fish. Plus we got to wear t-shirts and flip-flops instead of ties and heels :)

Jean, I'll be right over, lol!

My favorite way is simply sliced, fanned out on a plate, with lemon, capers, and black pepper. Or bagels and cream cheese. Normal chewy bagels, baked under rabbinical supervision, not puffy bagels with blueberry or everything, kwim. But that would a whole other thread.

My favorite way is simply sliced, fanned out on a plate, with lemon, capers, and black pepper. Or bagels and cream cheese. Normal chewy bagels, baked under rabbinical supervision, not puffy bagels with blueberry or everything, kwim. But that would a whole other thread.

The lemon and pepper sounds delightful!

The other day we had this on eggs over easy, toasted bread, with homemade hollandaise sauce and capers. Holy carp that was good.

Smoked salmon chowder.

Smoked salmon fettucini alfredo.

Smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese.

Smoked salmon salad (like tuna salad, i.e. stirred into a paste with mayo) on a sandwich with lettuce.

Salmon dip as described above (mixed with cream cheese, minced onions, etc.) on crackers.

Smoked salmon shoved in your mouth.

We live in WA, the second home of salmon, and it's really lucky because I'm not a fan of chicken!

LOL. Yeah, DH says he ate so much salmon that having chicken was a huge treat. My family thought he was insane ;). After a couple years out of Alaska he enjoyed the salmon again.

DH and I have been out of Alaska for three years now, and he is, just barely, interested in salmon again.

I like to eat it on a plate with a little bit of wasabi.  I guess I pretend it is sashimi, LOL.

I buy mine at Costco, Kirkland brand.  The regular grocery has it too, but Costco is cheaper (Costco also has several brands).  Instant lunch.  I do NOT like the type that has some sort of dill coating around the edges.

SING IT.

If someone gave me a huge smoked salmon, I'd throw a brunch party.  Sliced bagels, cream cheese, sliced tomato, capers, and red onion.  

I like to eat it on a plate with a little bit of wasabi.  I guess I pretend it is sashimi, LOL.

I buy mine at Costco, Kirkland brand.  The regular grocery has it too, but Costco is cheaper (Costco also has several brands).  Instant lunch.  I do NOT like the type that has some sort of dill coating around the edges.

The Kirkland brand is pretty good, but I think Acme (which Costco also carries) is better.  Costco definitely has the best prices, though.  

My local (southern) Costco has also intermittently stocked Acme brand whitefish salad, which is excellent.  Tragically, they haven't carried it for the past few months; I'm trying not to think about the possibility that it might not be coming back at all.  But I digress.  

SING IT

If someone gave me a huge smoked salmon, I'd throw a brunch party.  Sliced bagels, cream cheese, sliced tomato, capers, and red onion.  

I'm sick.  I'm not quite up to throwing a brunch party :)

I've also noticed that most of these suggestions pair it with wheat products.  I don't like most gf breads etc.  But you all have given me some ideas to think about!

Oh, I almost forget -- smoked salmon canapés. Thinly sliced pumpernickel bread, spread with dill butter, topped with the smoked salmon. Dill butter is just a big bunch of fresh dill leaves (discard the thick stems) put in a food processor with sweet butter. Garnish with a teeny sprig of dill.

My make ahead tip so canapés do not dry out. Cover the serving plate with a piece of waxed paper topped by a damp paper towel. Some people like to add a very thin slice of cucumber under the salmon. Cucumber, salmon and dill is a classic combo.

ETA. Oops, just saw your post about breads.

I'm not sure I can be of help here.  In past years one or two coworkers and I stood over the buffet table snarfing (yes, that elegantly) quickly until the smoked salmon was all gone.  We only tolerated each other's presence and competition because we found that:

1. we didn't look antisocial if there were others with us
  2. people tended to move around our group and hit the other parts of the buffet, leaving more salmon for us
  3. we didn't feel quite so greedy since we were "letting" someone else (each other) have some salmon, too.

Honestly, I never stopped to think about what to eat smoked salmon with, or what to put it on!  What to do with it?  Eat it before anyone else!

Or ship it to me!

Everything?

My son's favorite lunch or breakfast is a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

It works well with egg and pasta dishes. It makes a nice New Year's Day spread.

If you need help eating your smoked salmon, you can pitch it in a northwesterly direction over the lake and I will take care of it.

Okay, to seem like a snooty know-it-all here:  There are 2 kinds of smoked salmon.  There is the smoked salmon typically given as gifts and/or put on buffets, which is cooked thoroughly to a flakey doneness.  There is also "raw" smoked salmon, and when this is sliced thinly it is commonly called "lox".

I love both kinds, but I like them in different foods.  For any bagel-ly or sandwich creation (especially with cream cheese, capers, onions, tomatoes, and lettuce) I prefer lox.  But for straight nibbling, eating with fingers, dotting through omelets and other cooked dishes, adding to salads, and generally (and very grudgingly) sharing with others I prefer the "cooked" flakey smoked salmon.

OP, taste it.  Nibble it, alone and with some crackers, with some salad greens, with spreadable cheeses.  Once you have tasted it in several different ways you might think of ways to incorporate it into your cooking.  Talk to your family and have them taste and sample alongside you, and see what they might think of to try adding the smoked salmon to.

Think of this as the opportunity to experiment!  To make the sample last longer you can portion it out into smaller allotments and bag and freeze what you aren't going to use right away.

Hmm, frozen smoked salmon.  I wonder what kind of ice cream or frozen concoction that would make?....

Oooo, I remembered a favorite accompaniment: wild rice casserole!

Get some whole grain wild rice (nicer texture if you can find it, but you can use broken if that's all that is available), rinse it well, and cook it in a pot with 1 part wild rice to 4 parts cooking liquid.  Use something flavorful, if you can, instead of plain water for the cooking liquid (I use chicken stock most of the time but will use vegetable stock occasionally, and maybe season it with whatever I feel like, often sage, thyme, or poultry seasonings).  When cooked most of the grains should be split along the side, but NOT CURLED.  Curled wile rice is overcooked, and most of the flavor and nutrients have been lost.  The texture when cooked should be chewy, like a firm al dente spagetti.  I usually find that 2 cups of wild rice (cooking in 8 cups of liquid) will usually be done in about 45 minutes here near sea level (boil the liquid in a sturdy pot, add the rinsed wild rice, stir, bring back to a boil, put the lid on, and turn down to a simmer until done).

Once the wild rice is done cooking drain it and set it aside momentarily.  Meanwhile, in a pan saute some chopped onion, celery, and seasonings in butter or oil.  For the 2 cups of dry wild rice I usually do I usually cut up one medium onion and a similar amount of celery.  Depending upon who might be eating the wild rice I might also cook and chop up some bacon, too -- if I add the bacon I will saute the vegetables in the bacon fat for more flavor.

Once your veggies (and perhaps bacon) are cooked stir them into the wild rice.  You can eat this right away, though if you do the flavors will not have time to meld.  You can also put it in an ovenproof casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so, or chill and store in the fridge (up to two days) or the freezer (for a couple of months), then pull it out, thaw if needed, and proceed to bake.

This is very much a Minnesota treat, though wild rice is more commonly available elsewhere in the U.S. now.  It goes great with most any fish, poultry, or meat, and I like to eat the leftovers for breakfast, too.  When cooking it as an accompaniment I usually season it with the same seasonings my main protein receives, and that works quite well.

Now I'll have to get some smoked salmon to try mixing into wild rice, and see if that will make a nice cold salad for summer!

AMJ, I live in the Seattle area and have for most of my life. Odds are good I have smoked salmon in my fridge basically every week unless the grocery budget is too stretched :P. We usually buy it from a shop where that is all they do/sell.

I like all kinds. My sons prefer the hot smoked types to the cold smoked ("lox"), even on bagel sandwiches.

I am assuming Jean's large gift is probably the hot smoked variety and she probably knows that.

AMJ, I live in the Seattle area and have for most of my life. Odds are good I have smoked salmon in my fridge basically every week unless the grocery budget is too stretched :p. We usually buy it from a shop where that is all they do/sell.

I like all kinds. My sons prefer the hot smoked types to the cold smoked ("lox"), even on bagel sandwiches.

I am assuming Jean's large gift is probably the hot smoked variety and she probably knows that.

Yeah, I'm sure it is hot smoked.  It is Copper River Seafoods, Smoked Sockeye Wild Alaska Salmon fillet.  We eat a lot of grilled salmon but never (until now) have had the smoked salmon at home.  But as I typed that out, I just remembered that dh was complaining lately that salmon made him feel gouty.   Bummer.  More for me then!