Menu

If you own a high end bag...

Moxie

I've got a Brahmin, a Kate Spade, (just remembered these) a few Juicy Couture bags, and more Coach bags than I can count.  Oddly enough, my favorite bag is a 25 year old Coach black leather bag; plain, with no logos, no decorations, nor much detail.  Not only is it unfashionable, but it's looking pretty damned beat up after 25 years.  I love it because it's quality construction has held up so well (no frayed straps, no torn pockets, no ripped buckles), even if it looks beat up.  It embarrasses me to be seen with it because it's so beat up, but I try and carry it whenever I think it won't matter who catches me with it, LOL!  Anyone have any ideas for leather rejuvenation?

I've got a Brahmin, a Kate Spade, and more Coach bags than I can count.  Oddly enough, my favorite bag is a 25 year old Coach black leather bag; plain, with no logos, no decorations, nor much detail.  Not only is it unfashionable, but it's looking pretty damned beat up after 25 years.  I love it because it's quality construction has held up so well (no frayed straps, no torn pockets, no ripped buckles), even if it looks beat up.  It embarrasses me to be seen with it because it's so beat up, but I try and carry it whenever I think it won't matter who catches me with it, LOL!  Anyone have any ideas for leather rejuvenation?

People specifically buy those older Coach bags, especially if it's made in USA! You can probably refurbish it--wash it in a sink in soapy water, rinse, set out to dry. Stuff it with towels so it keeps the original shape. When it's dry, apply a good leather conditioner. Like Leather CPR. I have done this with several older, unlined Coach bags. You could just try the conditioner if the bag isn't dirty.

I have a Kate Spade in a bright cerise that I always get complements for. I have very much on purpose forgotten what I paid for it :D even though I bought it at the outlet during a Fourth of July sale. I adore it. It is just the right size and so sturdy that it stays standing. I would buy it again. I also have a matching wallet.

I also have a Vera Bradley tote that I use quite a lot if I need something bigger

I always wonder about places like TJMaxx. Do companies make lower end bags to sell cheaper?

And, how do you learn how to spot a fake? Just Google?

Yes to your first question. It is a few years old now, but the book Cheap:  The High Cost of Discount Culture related how Coach made their better bags in one location, discount store ones in China.  I don't know if any of their bags are still made in the US though.

If you frequent outlet type stores you'll probably see that there are styles manufactured specifically for the outlets.  Knock offs of their own products basically. 

No help in spotting fakes though.

People specifically buy those older Coach bags, especially if it's made in USA! You can probably refurbish it--wash it in a sink in soapy water, rinse, set out to dry. Stuff it with towels so it keeps the original shape. When it's dry, apply a good leather conditioner. Like Leather CPR. I have done this with several older, unlined Coach bags. You could just try the conditioner if the bag isn't dirty.

So is this good advice for any old leather bags?  The Brahmin I got for $5 is a beautiful bag (although HEAVY!) but it seems a little dried out even though it still looks okay.  I should treat it with leather conditioner, you think?  How often does one do that to a good bag?

thx

b

So is this good advice for any old leather bags?  The Brahmin I got for $5 is a beautiful bag (although HEAVY!) but it seems a little dried out even though it still looks okay.  I should treat it with leather conditioner, you think?  How often does one do that to a good bag?

thx

b

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Brahmin…I would only try washing an unlined bag. If the leather isn't embossed and it feels dry I would try the conditioner. Just keep applying it (and letting it soak in/buff, and dry) until the leather feels less dried out. I don't use it on new bags, just older ones as the leather starts to feel dry.

I use Leather CPR Cleaner and Conditioner but there are other similar brands that are fine too.

http://www.leathercpr.com/leather-care/leather-inverted-bottle-p-35.html?osCsid=jhmg3ou6o49us77t8heumf89c0

I'd love to see a picture of your bag!

I don't think it needs cleaning, but I'll look for some leather cleaner/conditioner, get it spiffied up, and take a pic :)

thx--

b

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Brahmin…I would only try washing an unlined bag. If the leather isn't embossed and it feels dry I would try the conditioner. Just keep applying it (and letting it soak in/buff, and dry) until the leather feels less dried out. I don't use it on new bags, just older ones as the leather starts to feel dry.

I use Leather CPR Cleaner and Conditioner but there are other similar brands that are fine too.

http://www.leathercpr.com/leather-care/leather-inverted-bottle-p-35.html?osCsid=jhmg3ou6o49us77t8heumf89c0

I'd love to see a picture of your bag!

My Furla tote is my "dump the kitchen sink in" tote because that's my workhorse and I don't mind if it gets damaged. It's made in Romania and so far the seams are surviving.

I've had one of the furla "shoppers" (i.e not at all stylish but big leather tote-type bag) since law school. I actually carried bar review books in it. I carry it to this day, everyday. It is amazingly well-made. it has no logos other than a metal half sphere that can hang outside (but which doesn't ;) and I prefer it that way ;)

I have a couple of Coach things and a couple of Bric bags, all gifts from my boss over the years.  I assume they are high end, but I don't follow these things.  I usually carry a backpack, because it's big enough to hold all of my "necessary junk."  This year's Bric bag is indeed large enough, though, so I am succumbing to my boss's efforts to help me look more like a lady than a broke college student!

I had no idea purses etc. go out of style.  The whole world of fashion befuddles me.

It is amazingly well-made. it has no logos other than a metal half sphere that can hang outside (but which doesn't ;) and I prefer it that way ;)

Mine is this one in link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KLNB50U

The shoulder straps are slim so hopefully they don't detach. Looks well sewn though. I like that it is a hard bottom with studs bag so I can put it on the ground or rough surface to get things out.

The High Cost of Discount Culture[/i] related how Coach made their better bags in one location, discount store ones in China. I don't know if any of their bags are still made in the US though.

If you frequent outlet type stores you'll probably see that there are styles manufactured specifically for the outlets. Knock offs of their own products basically.

The bags at the Coach store are made in China as well. The Coach outlet here carries two types; the majority is the made for outlet line, a small bin near the cashier has the rejects/showcase bags from the main stores. If someone likes reconditioning leather bags, that bin is fun to look through. There are many Coach stores here though and some are near the Coach outlet stores.

I was told by friends that Bloomingdale outlets get the leftovers from the main stores. I do see the Bloomingdale truck at the unloading bay sometimes and we have plenty of Bloomingdale stores too.

No way will I part with that bag, LOL!

I'll have to try this refurbishing technique.  I added some leather conditioner a few years ago, but it didn't make a difference, so maybe I'll try your cleaning method and several coats of leather conditioner and see how that works.

Fakes can be tricky to sleuth out.  But you can check the fabric (sometimes the "C" will be askew or crooked, the seams don't match up straight, or the two "C" letters aren't perfectly touching as they are on authentic bags), the stitching is sloppy and of variable length, if the seller has a lot of the same bag for sale should raise a warning flag, fakes are often fabric because authentic leather is hard to duplicate and knock-offs are more obvious with leather, most bags have a serial number *embossed* on the inside of the bag and not simply printed (although some of the smaller models do not have a serial number), the zipper itself is usually embossed with the letters "YKK" which indicates a top-of-the-line zipper (not always true, however, especially in colored fabric bags, but the Coach bags I have all have "YKK" on the zipper), Coach bags do not have the Coach logo on both the outside and lining  - just on one or the other.

I always wonder about places like TJMaxx. Do companies make lower end bags to sell cheaper?

For Coach, there are some online guides on ebay by Salearea that are pretty good. A lot of info.

Some online guides are inaccurate.

I think unless you are very familiar with a certain brand, or the bag is obviously fake (fake plasticky leather, crooked/loose stitching, lack of attention to detail) it can be very hard to tell. You can get a bag authenticated online for a few dollars but most people won't go to that effort.