Menu

If you own a high end bag...

Moxie

I have a Brahmin and a Dooney and Bourke from the thrift shop--I think the Brahmin was $5 and the Dooney and Bourke was (gasp) $25.  The lady at checkout said, "You know that bag is $25, right?"  Most purses are $3-$5.

They are not current models though, so I'm sure they probably aren't as stylish as I think they are.

I have several Liz Claiborne and Nine West and other nice bags that probably cost more than $40 new, but $5 is (generally) my limit.  I'm glad to let someone else pay the big bucks, then pass it on to me when they tire of it--

I don't think this was the answer you were looking for :)

B

Not high end. I have Louis Vuitton and Longchamp leather handbags that are still made in France. I like classic petite bags. My LV clutch bag was from 1993 and still in good condition. I also have a Braun Buffel leather clutch that is made in Germany since I was in high school.

My Furla tote is my "dump the kitchen sink in" tote because that's my workhorse and I don't mind if it gets damaged. It's made in Romania and so far the seams are surviving.

Burberry and Prada are now made in China so seems over price for over the shelf bags.

ETA:

Hubby check the zipper pulls. If the bag is expensive and the zipper pulls say YKK, he isn't interested. He prefer the zipper pulls to be embossed with the brand name/logo.

My MIL loves handbags, the more the merrier. Hubby is good at checking for quality/workmanship.

ETA:

I have a suede Cole Haan laptop bag that may not survive my laptop :lol: I bought it only because I like suede stuff.

Longchamp is my favorite right now. The leather bags, so lightweight and no over the top logos.

I also carry Marc Jacobs and have a few vintage Coach bags (wonderful thick leather)

Even if I could afford them I wouldn't buy Chanel, Hermes, Prada, etc because I don't think they are worth the price. Crazy!

I have a Fossil that I have had since Dec. 2011 and it has been used daily. Right now it is being cleaned because a waiter dropped cole slaw on it. I can't wait to get it back! 

ETA: I also have two Coach purses. One is purple suede and is a handbag. I stopped carrying it when ds was born because I needed my hands free. I take it out occasionally for special occasions. The other one is a basic purse that I purchased at a Coach outlet. Although it has a strap, it doesn't hold much, so I don't often carry it. I prefer my fossil because it is big enough for my iPad and I can also put small purchases in it. It is also a cross body, which I love because I can have my hands free when I need them.

I have a really nice black leather B. Makowski bag that I got from a yard sale.   It was late in the yard sale day and it hadn't sold because the wife wanted a high price for it (retail $280).  Once she left, she turned to her husband and said, "Just sell the rest of this stuff!" and walked away.

I quickly picked up the bag and a few other items and when I went over I asked if I could get the bag for $8.  He said, "SURE!  My wife is gone, she will never know!"  

hahaha!

Not high end. I have Louis Vuitton and Longchamp leather handbags that are still made in France. I like classic petite bags. My LV clutch bag was from 1993 and still in good condition. I also have a Braun Buffel leather clutch that is made in Germany since I was in high school.

My Furla tote is my "dump the kitchen sink in" tote because that's my workhorse and I don't mind if it gets damaged. It's made in Romania and so far the seams are surviving.

Burberry and Prada are now made in China so seems over price for over the shelf bags.

ETA:

Hubby check the zipper pulls. If the bag is expensive and the zipper pulls say YKK, he isn't interested. He prefer the zipper pulls to be embossed with the brand name/logo.

My MIL loves handbags, the more the merrier. Hubby is good at checking for quality/workmanship.

So funny about the zipper pulls!

I have a Brighton bag and 2 Coach bags.  Both the Coach bags are well over 20 years old, and they make their appearance every once in awhile.  Thing is, they are heavy and I am ... older and that combination isn't good.  The Brighton is my favorite.  

All of them are out of style...and they all look great.  I love quality accoutrements.  :0)  

But the way to go is thrift stores.  Totally. 

I'm not very hard on handbags or shoes.  My sister, on the other hand...oy!  I gave her a couple of my "used" Coach bags and she wore them out completely in 2 years.  Go figure.  :0)

The hilarious part is that 90% of the time I carry a Bagallini, because it is so light and because I can stuff it in my camera bag if I am out on a shoot.  I miss the leather feel though.  

I have a chocolate brown Gucci briefcase that looks something like this: http://www.men-bags.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Gucci-dark-brown-guccissima-leather-briefcase-2.jpgI generally used it for court appearances or depositions.

I also have a black leather Gucci bag. It is similar to this one: http://www.gucci.com/images/ecommerce/styles_new/201301/web_zoomin/277520_ANK0G_1000_001_web_zoomin.jpg

I bought them when my sister worked at Gucci, so I got a nice discount, and I was a single, practicing attorney, so I had money to blow.

I also have a small Louis Vuitton wallet and a Coach clutch. These days, I mostly buy my purses at Marshalls.

I found a Prada clutch at a Plato's Closet for $10. I only get to carry that on date nights (which are few and far between). MIL likes to give nice bags as gifts so I have a big leather Prada bag from her and a smallish- medium Cole Haan. I love how soft the leather is on the Prada and I love the shade of blue of the Cole Haan. Like dusty midnight. Not as dark as navy. Hard to describe but beautiful.

My everyday big workhorse bag is a Nine West. I'm on my 2nd one in 13 years. Not too shabby for $40.

I would be careful about buying designer bags from thrift stores. There are so many fakes.

:iagree:   And some thrift stores charge a relative fortune for them, even when they're obvious fakes, thinking people won't know the difference.  I had to become an expert when I started sorting through the purse piles at thrift stores.  Now I can spot a fake from a mile away.

I have a Michael Kors purse that I got at TJ Maxx with my birthday money.  I never thought I would ever have an expensive bag like that because I'm kind of frugal, and even though I try to dress nicely, I'm not into brand names.  I even let it sit in my room with the tags on for a month while I debated about taking it back. Now that I'm using it, I really love it!  It's so soft and just the perfect shape.  Hopefully it will last a long time. 

Mine aren't super high end, but I like them. :) I have a red pebbled leather Brighton bag that I love, a Kate Spade purse, a black Etienne Aigner purse, and a few other cheaper ones sitting in my closet that I never use.

My everyday bag is a brown leather Anne Klein bag.  It isn't as "fancy" as some of my other purses, but it fits everything so well I can't bear to part with it.

I used to have a leather Coach bag, but I didn't like it and I sold it.  The newer Coach bags don't seem to hold up as well as some other brands.  

I'd love to have a Birkin bag, but I can't comprehend spending 10k to 20k for one used purse.  I can dream, though.

I got a satchel from Saddleback Leather this Christmas from dh! It cost $300 but has a lifetime warranty, which is good, because I plan to use it right up to the end.

The company motto is "They'll fight over it when you're dead." That's my kind of bag!

Why did you post this?! OMWord. Those are fantastic. Totally my style. Which one did you get? I am lusting over the leather tote in carbon. . .

Yeah I'd be fine with a knock off purse for $5. 

I hope we're talking about different things.

I can understand not wanting to spend more than a few dollars on an item. I am that way about many things!

But saying that you're fine buying an item that was illegally made and sold in the first place just doesn't seem ethically right.

We're talking about EXTREMELY different thing, IMO. 

I agree about not supporting the knock-off industry.

But when I pay my money to the thrift shop, 100% of the money is going to support the charity of my choice--I shop at our Humane Society thrift store and at a store that supports a particular local community.

The dirty deed was done if the original purchaser bought the knock-off.  I personally feel like I am turning that bad into good if I am buying it at the thrift store, in a small way.

And status-wise--all my friends know I shop thrift--they'd be happy for me if the purse was real (and the ones I have are real, but I have bought a knock-off Prada before--I took the metal label-thing off because it was so obviously fake, but it's a cute purse).  And if i happened to be sporting a fake, they wouldn't think I was ripped off--they'd know I just thought it was cute and found it at the thrift shop.

B

In general because the counterfeit industry is illegal.

I can understand not wanting to spend more than a few dollars on an item. I am that way about many things!

But saying that you're fine buying an item that was illegally made and sold in the first place just doesn't seem ethically right.

I have a Rioni bag my IL's gave me for my birthday (I have no clue if that actually is considered high end, but the price seems to be in line with some of what I've seen mentioned on this thread). They gave me the matching wallet ($70) for Christmas.

I'm a little baffled as to what to do with them, to be honest. I'm not the high-end bag type, nor is it the style of bag I normally use.

Never thought about buying fakes at the thrift store. I would imagine most fakes fall apart long before they are donated. But still would not want to buy a fake even for $5. When I was younger, I was fooled; I paid a lot more than $5 for a fake. It broke in about 2 weeks. I was dumb and young. 

I love buying purses!  The more expensive ones are from Dooney and Bourke, and I have some Coach bags that my husband gave me.  He also gave me a cute Anuschka bag with a cat on it.

I like Libaire leather backpacks...these are made in the USA!    I used to be able to find them at Nordstrom many years ago.  www.libaire.net

I LOVE purses! I have a few Coach and Oroton bags from before kids (15+ years) that have held up well. I have a Gucci and Louis Vuitton that I got in China, that I carry only occasionally because they are too small for real life. More recently I bought a new Coach for a BIG birthday. I did buy some Vera Bradley bags at an outlet for 70% off. I like them, but I won't pay that kind of money for a cloth bag. I'm all about the leather!

My all time favorite bag is an antique purse I have that looks like a rolled up magazine. It is a hard plastic, not sure what it so worth, but I love carrying it.

It's not antique, it's VINTAGE. ;) I'm the antique. LoL

I don't have a costly purse; I carry a Jansport lightweight computer bag as an everyday bag.  I do however have a wonderful red leather wallet that my husband bought me from Levenger's some fifteen or so years ago.  It was called something like a train conductor's wallet due to its many partitions.  It seems they no longer sell that style which is too bad as this one will probably only last another five or ten years ....

Regards,

Kareni

What do you have?? I'll never own a bag over $40 so I like to live through other people. Please share what you carry!

My high-end bag of choice is Aigner, which is good quality but not nearly as expensive as Dooney & Bourke or Coach. The one I use at the moment is a small, cross-body type, which I purposely use to keep from being able to put a kitchen sink in it. :laugh: D&B doesn't usually have the colors I prefer, and right now, they're all too big.

I love buying purses!  The more expensive ones are from Dooney and Bourke, and I have some Coach bags that my husband gave me.  He also gave me a cute Anuschka bag with a cat on it.

I like Libaire leather backpacks...these are made in the USA!    I used to be able to find them at Nordstrom many years ago.  www.libaire.net

I just looked at Libaire's website and their bags look nice! I like that you can choose hardware colors and strap lengths on some bags.

I have a Prada, a bunch of Vera Bradley, a Coach, a Fossil, probably a few other wallets and bags.  Dh usually gets me purses when he travels to China, but I bought the Vera's locally and the Fossil was a gift from dd.

I'm currently using a black leather Prada but I'm probably going to switch soon.  I've been using a couple of cloth bags that my mother made the most lately.   I need something big enough to hold what I need for work but not so big it hurts my back.

I got a satchel from Saddleback Leather this Christmas from dh! It cost $300 but has a lifetime warranty, which is good, because I plan to use it right up to the end.

The company motto is "They'll fight over it when you're dead."  That's my kind of bag!

I  :001_wub:  Saddleback Leather. I have a messenger bag and the pouch in Tobacco. My dream is the small satchel. I'd use my messenger more, but it's almost too heavy. I have the bible cover I use for a planner cover and it's just beautiful. They really will last forever. 

Why did you post this?! OMWord. Those are fantastic. Totally my style. Which one did you get? I am lusting over the leather tote in carbon. . .

I drool over their site. Their other site love41.com has designs done by the wife.

I guess it's "high end". It's a Coach bag, but not the typical Coach that has the "C" all over it (I can't stand those); it's simple, but nice, black leather, with several nice little nooks in there for my crap, lol. I don't recall how much it was (dollar-wise), because DH just took me inside Macy's and told me to pick something out.

It's held up well. I'd always heard that good bags hold up better, but I didn't understand it until I had one, lol. I've had the same bag now for about 6 years, and it's still in great condition... and I'm tough on my bags, lol.

More of a low-high end brand.....I adore Hobo bags.  I have a few and and they are my loves!  The bad thing about Hobo is that the leather is buttery soft, but they are painted so the color only lasts me about half a year for everyday use.  A clutch size is $100-150 and doesn't last a year so it is less of a  value than buying a classic Coach or LV that will last 10+ :0( 

I have a solid black coach leather bag that only has a metal nameplate that I am using right now.  I don't like any bags that are heavily logo'd so I lean toward bags that are a nice leather and look cute and fun. My Hobo bags are fun colors like pink, apple green and red.  My favorite winter coat right now is teal. The only bag that really looks decent with the teal is my black one, so that is in the rotation for now. 

Well look I was singing the praises of a plastic bag so...