Menu

CLE for all subjects....and/or all the way through....

stm4him

Jennifer,

Again, thanks for the input!  Your encouragement and details are so helpful to me (in more than just practical ways.....but the emotional and intellectual parts of switching.)  Hunter has also been really helpful to me many times which I find so interesting since she lives in a completely different world now, but somehow over and over I find us researching the same things or discovering the same concepts and I think somehow our minds work in similar ways (although we're both a bit quirky I think :-))

I just love your signature.  So simple.  I want mine to look that simple and uncluttered.  CLE, Greek N' Stuff, and Beautiful Feet.  Or something like that.  It helps me feel calm to know that there is a road laid out ahead of us.  They can walk it differently according to how God has wired each of them, but the road is clear.  

I had a talk with my oldest last night about motivation and the idea of starting younger to lay foundational skills vs. being super relaxed until they are 8ish and she agreed that they should be starting young, but gently with breaks in the day so that when they get her age they are missing big skills.  Her situation isn't typical because of her learning struggles (she also kind of shut down when she was young), but I still value her input and suggestions.  I was leaning more towards better late than early, but I think I am swinging back to earlier is better as long as it is developmentally appropriate for that individual child (which should be obvious from their willingness and motor skills).  

Did you do the ABC series with K 2 at the same time or do ABC DEF then K2, then GHIJK?  I am thinking about skipping the ABC series since they are getting rid of it, but I am going to start with the little four book series with my 5 year old (Nov birthday, so really still in preschool) and move her into either A, K2 (or K1 if it is out), or Before We Read (which they sell as a supplemental thing).  I'm not in a big hurry and can go at her pace.  I'm more concerned with getting my 6 year old's reading skills where they should be.....

I was debating who to start with, older or younger.  I think I may get the older ones started and then pull my 6 year old for one session, then the 5 year old, then the 6 year old (if she needs 2 sessions), then the 7 year old (he's almost 8), then the 10 year old, then the 13 year old with a check in period for answering questions between each kiddo so that they aren't allowed to interrupt my meeting but know that there will soon be a chance for questions.  I'm not sure if I will check work in meetings or in the evenings or between kiddos check what was done or what.  I still need to read over Teri's tips on that.  I know I need to stay on top of checking because I have seen what happens when I don't.

I love the Teacher Manuals.  They give just a little bit of helps for conversations or easy activities for the little ones and I love that because it is not overwhelming and it is just enough to make sure they are conversing with me about what they are learning and verbally processing it (sort of like narration).  I can't wait to start!

If only we had money to order now!  I am in holding for a bit until our next check.

I don't know if you saw my post today, but I actually think I am going to like the science and social studies.  Here's why:

-In 1st and 2nd grade there are only 5 units each so they only have to do one of those at a time.  Even if they did them both the lessons are very short and reasonable.

-In 3rd-6th it is more like geography than history, but I can add Beautiful Feet in the evening and I still think they will enjoy geography and it sets the stage well for history later.

-In 7th-8th they get a nice overview of world and American history.

-High school looks pretty typical in its scope.

-3rd grade has only 6 units, which leaves time for a state study.

-3rd-7th grade science looks like just booklets and a nice lab set you buy (except 5th grade which seems a little more teacher intensive in science for some reason).  It doesn't have additional teacher info to cover.  

-8th-12th grade gives Apologia as an option so I can always use that instead (or even in 7th if I want), which is what I was planning to use anyway most likely.  But I may have them do CLE and supplement with Apologia reading to give them an extra strong science basis for college (if they decide to go).  

My problem is that as soon as I start piece-mealing it becomes a complicated mess. I overcomplicate things unnecessarily. If I force myself to stick to basic rules to keep my eyes from wandering I do better.

Following this thread with interest....

The above quote describes me well! We started with CLE, but then started swapping out parts of the LA: a different spelling, adding a writing program, extra phonics for my oldest Dd, etc, etc...and it all just fell apart. It was too much and wasn't sustainable for me. I've taken out all the extra stuff and we're going to give JUST CLE a go for LA, Math, and Reading. I've not found a science program I love yet, though next year we will probably pick up Veritas self-paced for History. For now, I'm just using the Core Knowledge books to add in bits of art, music, history, literature.

I really do like having a simple, consistent, overall plan in place for the children. I think, it's important to be realistic, and I sometimes do get distracted and have to pull myself back in mentally. With a bunch of children it really isn't possible for me to get life done and provide an idealized, custom learning style etc. education for each one and keep my sanity :). Solid and consistent will just have to be good enough for me :). In the long run, it's better than any/all of my idealized plans that fell through/didn't happen!

We have been better late folks for my first two, but I'm really happy with the gentle, appropriate, earlier start we had with our third. We do take it easy, 1st graders always get my priority time. KII is the better program, but wouldn't have been enough as far as volume goes- it took us around 3 months at a pretty relaxed pace, slower than what they recommend. We did A-F, KII, and some of G-K, we didn't finish because I was more impressed with KII than the R&S (it's more spiral, has review built in, R&S is a bit more random). We did really like their Bible story/coloring book combo for K (B book) my first grader still remembers it fondly. We didn't do Before We Read so I can't say much about it :). My 4-yo has also done some of their small coloring books to help keep her busy :).

Glad to help you think things through!

I'm going to try the 7th and 5th grade science (non-sunrise) and the 1st and 2nd grade science (sunrise).  I'll let you know how it goes in our house.  But we probably won't get to the 1st grade science until this summer or so.  

I'm thinking I may do the preschool books, and then either A-F or Before We Read (unless K1 is out by then).  After that we'll do K2 and then either Helping Yourself or go right into LTR.  G-K are cute, but I'm not sure they are necessary between K2 and LTR.  To me, if they can do the work of K2 they are probably ready for learning to read.  If not, one can always back up and fill in.  We got bogged down in G and decided to move on.  But that was with my 2nd or 3rd (who are boys).  A girl might like more of that kind of work.

Where are the coloring books?  In their regular catalog?

The reason my children love the units probably has to do with all the farm connections. My father in law will go over math with my oldest son at times and he will tell him how lucky his is that his word problems are about things that they actually enjoy. Today was one on tomatoes and the varities listed my son knew, when they talk about canning it makes sense because we do that all the time. Same with livestock, maple syrup, measuring logs, etc. I think for us that is why it helps motivate them.

My father in law was laughing at how he would have done better in math if they had problems like those rather than abstract ones that would never be encountered in real life. It made my son excited.