Menu

What did you receive for Christmas?

OnTheBrink

I had a lot of surprises this Christmas. Dh got me a calendar (not a surprise--he always gets the same kind), and a cover for our Ikea loveseat. I'm just not sure what he was thinking...lol

He also got me a new tablet, as I had flipped mine off the bed and broken it some months ago. He included a padded cover this time.

Dd made cards for everyone--mine was a poinsettia out of folded paper--quite lovely.

Ds in Asheville very sweetly sent gifts to everyone this year, even the visiting grandparents. It's was completely thoughtful and even sacrificial, as he has little $. I got a journal, which I'll use to take sermon notes.

Other ds recently got a "real job." He was exceedingly generous to everyone. He bought me a laptop. I was stunned. My mom said, privately to me, that "he'll need to learn to save!" Well of course he will--but how dear and kind to give so outrageously--I was nearly in tears at his generous spirit, and so glad he had that experience of giving extravagant grace.

I was very seriously spoiled this year. 

DH: "What I Love About You" book that he filled out  :001_tt1:, a purse (that I picked out), and a Pandora charm that says "my wife". 

MIL: A purse, scarf, and hat

BIL: A 2015 planner

SIL: A beautiful necklace she picked up from a craft fair

Friends: Perfume, hot cocoa, Folgers caramel coffee, tea

Church Family: An icon of St. Stephen, a saints bracelet, a Keurig (a Christmas/housewarming gift), and an angel figurine. 

A cup from me to me that I had the kids pretend was from them  :D

Kid: A handmade ornament

$.50 (one of the kids LOL)

Dh: Two Walking Dead Compendiums

My Mom: A Verismo

Skyrim

A Dammit doll

iphone projector

My Mom went a wee bit nuts this year.  I only knew I was getting the mug!

MIL and GMILs: a pair of socks, a to-go mug, some candy, and some money.

So much awesomeness!!! I have 2 very generous in laws who love giving gifts so they tend to go overboard and my dh learned from them!

Fil and his partner got me; Rock Me Archimedes, Kitchen Table Math, another book of elementary math I can't remember the name

Mil got me; a zester, coat to get me through the next 5 weeks with this huge pregnant belly, Forbidden Island, 2 volumes of summa theologica, book of sudokus, Small Steps for Catholic moms

Dh got me; Agricola, book of expert level Sudoku, a 2 night stay away from the kids in 2 days

I got many more little things from my family and a bunch of cash. I used to have such a hard time receiving gifts but realized it's their love language so I had to find a way to be comfortable being showered with things twice a year.

From dh and kids: large stainless steel colander, ravioli attachment for my kitchen aid mixer (got the pasta attachment for Mother's Day), walking dead calendar, ghiradelli chocolates and hot cocoa mix.

For myself: a potato ricer and garlic press set. I was going to wrap it up for myself but since dh had gotten me so many things I wasn't expecting I didn't want to make them feel it wasn't enough so I just got it out to make mashed potatoes for dinner.

I have a birthday right before Christmas, so dh can be a bit hit or miss. If he gets one he usually trips over the other. 

Christmas: 

ds3: a note that his turtle Steve would give me hugs every night  :lol:

ds2: 3 surprise desserts, 2 of which he'd done before Christmas :001_smile:

dh: a hurriedly scribbled notebook with coupons...most of which deal with stuff he should do without my prompting and all needing 1-12 hours lead time before he will do them.  :001_huh:

However, my brother totally made up for it. He pulled my name in the exchange and got me:

4 books from my Amazon list

5 skeins of wool

2 sets of bamboo knitting needles

1 really nice springform pan

2 rolls of Haribo gummis

My SIL got me in the other exchange. I got more yarn and a tin of International House coffee (that cracked me up). 

DH: A Neato robotic vacuum (big surprise as he doesn't usually get such expensive items!), gift certificate to a restaurant we love at the coast (3 hrs drive) with promise of a day out without the bigger kids, a CD I picked out, some earrings and a couple other little items.

Kids: Cheetos, chocolates and 'Annie' (which I exchanged for a season of NCIS as I don't really prefer that movie

My parents: Shirt, new stainless trash can, Danielle Walker's "Meals Made Simple" cookbook

Sisters: earrings, Chapstick, skinny jeans and a top

MIL (exchange): Dominion, jewelry stand/hanger & earrings

Cousin (exchange): infinity scarf and $25 Target gc

Grandma: Sherlock tshirt from Hot Topic & $50 Amazon gc

From my MIL: Cabela's giftcard, some random clothes from Cabela's and a book on how to teach your kids Shakespeare, I'm going to take that last one as a sign she finally approves of homeschooling, which while not necessary is a welcome turn .

Hey! I got that book from my sweet sister. Can't wait to read it!

From dh and ds: Some of my favorite scented candles and two collage frames, one of which has different sizes and shapes. I've been dropping hints about wanting to get some photos printed so I can hang them on the wall. I love collage frames. 

From my adult niece who I wish would stop giving me gifts (she has 7 yo twins and needs the money for herself): A set of flameless candles (I like candles and my family knows it. Can you tell? lol)

From dss and ddil, who I also wish wouldn't spend money on me since they have 2 kids too: A $25 Visa gift card

With DH being in the hospital, most everyone gave us $$ this year.

My mom also gave me a fleece vest & the new Pioneer Woman cookbook. My dad contributed an IOU for some built-in shelving/cabinets that he will put in our master bathroom for us.

From my kids: some seriously tacky, bling-y bracelets that grandma bought and wrapped for them :D (which I told them were beautiful).

Quilting stuff. Tools and patterns and a quilt magazine subscription. I'll start dying my own fabric in the new year with the chemicals and dyes I got last Christmas. My dad gave me cash so I could join a local quilting guild chapter. They have activities 3 times a month for members.

Massage Envy gift card.

Lots of my favorite chocolates.

Earrings.

From my mum a new bag, a fountain pen, socks and undies. From the boys (5 and 7) Writing with a Thesis (I ordered from Better world books for free shipping and Lial's Pre Algebra and The Lively Add of Writing didn't make it yet). I haven't seen my father etc yet but I asked for bath mats as my secret Santa gift so I guess I will get bath mats.