Menu

Catholic Curriculum Help Plz

Pixjen

Quick Background: I've been homeschooling for 15+ years, and I've burned out. Actually, I've probably been burned out for several years, because we've gone from TOG, to unschooling to basically no schooling. *sigh* It doesn't help that I have a very strong willed 10yr that turns everything school related into a battle if it isn't "fun." I've been seriously considering putting DS in public school just so that he gets SOME kind of education and structure.

So, he's 10yrs old and technically 5th grade. But although bright, he's behind where he could/should be (based on his abilities), because of our lack of regular schooling, esp in math. On top of that, we've recently converted to Catholicism, and I'd like to use homeschooling to help us continue to learn about our new faith.

I need an open and go curriculum. I don't mind it teacher involvment, but I need to be able to just open up a schedule and do what it says. I'm usually a "tweaker" and have been mixing and matching curriculum forever. I've been using TOG since before there was a Classic version, so I'd say I'm sort of a eclectic CMer. :lol:  I'm just so tired of trying to figure out a schedule for every little thing.

I'm looking at Kolbe, CHC and MODG. Any suggestion about which one might be a good fit? I'll prolly stick with our Math and Science program. If possible, I'd like a curriculum where the different subjects tie in together... so that our Lit Books match the same time frame as History, which matches Geography, etc. KWIM? Do any of these three do that? I'm not looking for rigorous at this point, just something easy to implement, that will help him catch up and move forward, and help us get back on track.

Thanks!!!

RC history is connecting with history. It is what you're describing for history, lit, and geography wrapped into one. There are lesson plans for the first 2 volumes, and they are in the works for the other volumes. The lesson plans schedule the readings, mapwork, timeline, and copywork. You will need to choose projects and writing assignments from those listed in the syllabus. The literature guides for volume 1 are purchased separately, but it is included in volume 2. The literature is scheduled in the lesson plans, but the lit guides are not. It should be obvious that each chapter summary would following the reading of that chapter so I wouldn't expect it to be difficult to schedule in the lit guides. We have only done beginner level so I can't review the lit guides yet. It is not 100% open and go since you have to schedule the projects and writing assignments, but I think it's a great program for someone new to the faith. The teacher background and overview sections are helpful. The recommended teacher books are good too. It's a really nice option if you are wanting to learn along with your ds. http://www.rchistory.com

If you think cwh might be too involved, you could look at the catholic school textbook project books. Chc has lesson plans for them and I *think* the tm has recommended corresponding literature. Hopefully someone else can give you more info on those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think MODG would be easy to jump in with. My kids have enjoyed the reading selections. The lesson manual breaks down all assignments into daily ones. It is a very gentle program, that encourages me when I look at it . I realize that even though it doesn't seem like much work per day, the consistency adds up and quite a lot can be accomplished in the planned 32 weeks. We kind of do our own thing for language arts and math.

One thing I don't like about the manual is that it is not set up to look at all of the day one assignments, it is not that big of deal, but you do have to turn to history section day one, religions section day one, ect. I think the history and lit books are the same, but don't have fifth grade handy. The other subjects aren't related. It is open and go for planning purposes, but I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. What does your son find fun? Is he a kid that loves hands on projects? Reading? Or maybe he just likes to check off school in the morning so he can do other stuff? One other thing about MODG is that Regina Caeli is opening new 2 day homeschool hybrid schools all the time. If there is one coming to your area, that could be an option in the future. Since the curriculm is same, it would be an easy transition. I've only been homeschooling 11 years, but I'm looking forward to going part time with homeschooling.

Just thought of this. If your son likes video based learning,

www.catholicconnectionsonline.com

At 10, he is probably a little young but I think they are going to have some recorded younger classes out in May. The American history middle school classes might work if he just watched a portion per day. My kids love anything with a screen, and oldest at home likes lectures. I am considering it for my youngers as I think they would love it.

Seton is very Catholic and have beautiful books but they are not classical. They're workbook style typical Catholic school but it is very get it done and go on with your life. You will learn so much about your faith with Seton. The counselors are very helpful and friendly and you don't have to enroll unless you want the lesson plans. I was using Catholic Heritage Curriculum for my 11 yr old wiggly son but have switched over to a more eclectic approach with a CM bent and some traditional workbooks using Seton ( which he likes...who knew?) and Time4Learning and will add in IEW. We also have CM tendencies. I recently read a thread about Our Lady of Victory school in which the ladies rave about it and you can buy lesson plans from them and pretty inexpensive curriculum. If you have a Facebook account, join Catholic Homeschool Moms and Catholic Relaxed Homeschoolers....lots of great helpful ladies. HTH. Good luck.

I'm very much in the same position. I really want a good program that's enjoyable, with a very strong history component, and where lit, history, geography, art and music all tie in together. I can't find that except to make my own, and I really do want something where I can open and go. We use RC History but I regularly add books. I'm failing at other classical tie in's like poetry and memorization right now, and I'm trying to get back on track. Im still considering Kolbe and Seton and MODG and maybe even Memoria Press. But really I'll prob stick to this plan - Seton English, reading, and religion, enrolled. RC History, CHC science, math, memoria press Latin, throwing in my own poetry and lit selections or maybe following another lit program like from memoria or somewhere else. I really do like RC History but I would like to have something to actually plan my day. I understand they have lesson plans now fir vols 1 and 2, but we are in 3 and will be in 4 next year. 

There is something like Classical Conversations but it is Catholic......let me find it.

Found it: Classically Catholic Memory. http://ccmemory.com

Classically Catholic Memory…A Catholic homeschool memory work program, classical in nature, that guides parents and children in mastering challenging and inspiring material in eight subjects: Religion, Latin, History, Science, Math, Timeline, Geography, and Great Words.

I have used a variety of curricula over the years.  As a Catholic that likes student workbooks but doesn't like Seton, I'm leaning more and more to Memoria Press.  I like the DVDs that come with the courses, because I don't have to teach as much.  I am still going to use some MODG, but I will be getting more from them next year.

Memoria Press courses come with dvds? Does it do the teaching?

Not all the courses have DVDs.Latin through Fourth form has DVDs, Classical Composition through Refutation/Confirmation, and Logic also has them. There may be more of which I am unaware, and there are likely more being produced - I am pretty sure they plan to complete the Classical Composition series. I have not seen the logic DVDs, but Latin and Classical Composition do teach the lessons, although I still like to reinforce what is taught.

So far we have Prima Latina, First Form, and Classical Comp: Fables.  I will add LC1 and more Classical Comp in the future.  I don't know what else they have, but I will always be eyeing them, because they are so helpful.  We use Art Reed teaches Saxon DVDs for math and Simply Drawing DVDs for art.  They have been so helpful for me this year.  I also plan on mixing in IEW SWI with Classical Comp, too.