Menu

Readers to go with VP ancients

3girls4me

Hi ladies!

I am trying to start compiling a list of readers to use along with our ancients study next year. One child will be doing VP self paced history. The other will be doing HOD Creation to Christ. Obviously there are books with HOD and we will use the literature pack with VP, but they read a lot so I would like to supplement. Any suggestions of books for this time period? The one doing HOD is 10 1/2. The one doing VP is 7 1/2.

Thanks!!

I used the VP Omnibus reading lists, but I hit up the children's section of our library.  Many of the books exist in kid form (simplified of course).  The other thing was to pull in lots of various mythology from the different places.  So Egypt has The Book of the Dead (again, kid version), Greek/Roman Myths, Babylon had some really great mythology as well with Ishtar (pronounced Easter and the iconography are bunnies and eggs).  Northern Africa has some wonderful animal/mystical stuff going on.

We did a bunch of National Geographic books so my son could get an idea of what the places looked like where Canaan, Goshen, Indus River Valley, etc.  I am sure a lot is not exactly the same, but much is similar and could give him a mental image of the place.