Menu

What's on the menu for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?

Laurie4b

We do finger foods on Christmas Eve. Meat, cheese, and cracker tray, deviled eggs, veggies, hot wings, chips. All these are pretty easy.

I don't cook a big meal on Christmas Day, so I can't help there. We will eat leftovers from Christmas Eve and spaghetti or something.

It's just us six for Christmas, so I'm going the easy route and making fondue!  We all love it and it's fun to eat.  For Christmas Eve it's just us as well and I'm having the kids help to make mini-pizzas. 

We're also watching Star Wars on Christmas day for the first time with the kids, so I'm not sure we're good role models... 

Perogies and cabbage rolls. That's it. No other sides. No turkey, etc. These are the "it's not Christmas without..." foods in our family. So we simplified and are making only those. ;)

Our only "it's not Christmas without" food is cinnamon buns for breakfast on Christmas morning. A lot of work, but I'm obligated...

I guess it's fortunate that there aren't more!

Christmas Eve we will probably have baked potato soup in the crock pot. Easy and filling.

Christmas Day we will have cinnamon rolls and quiche for brunch. For dinner, the kids have requested nachos. Yes, I said nachos. They figure that the red from the salsa and green from the guacamole make them festive. Fine with me. That is a super easy dinner.LOL.

For Christmas eve we are just having MIL, FIL, and DH's grandfather over.  I am making ham, mac & cheese, cauliflower, fondu, and still deciding on the dessert.  MIL is bring deviled eggs.  Christmas morning my kids expect cinnamon rolls.  Then we are going to my parent's house for brunch. I am taking Julecake.

We've only gotten as far as having dh order a lot of tamales for the 25th. We'll just have five people, but I've been on crutches for a month and still can't walk or drive, so I have to keep things simple too. I think we'll probably have pizza tomorrow night and red and green pancakes for breakfast on the 25th.

For Christmas eve we are just having MIL, FIL, and DH's grandfather over.  I am making ham, mac & cheese, cauliflower, fondu, and still deciding on the dessert.  MIL is bring deviled eggs.  Christmas morning my kids expect cinnamon rolls.  Then we are going to my parent's house for brunch. I am taking Julecake.

Ok, this is not meant to come off as critical or insulting or anything, I am just genuinely curious!!!  How does fondue fit into the meal?  Does it sit in the middle and people eat other foods and also eat fondue, is it an appetizer?  I don't understand.  LOL!!!!!!!

I only ask because I live in Switzerland and fondue is a completely stand-alone thing here.  The entire meal is just bread (occasionally potatoes for the daring) and the melted cheese/wine/garlic concoction of choice.  The only acceptable drink options are hot tea or white wine. 

I once made fondue for my DH's family and it felt so plain that I added a starter salad and also various pickled vegetables during  the meal (which are routinely served with the OTHER big melted cheese meal- raclette) and you'd think I was making everyone eat squid.  Hilarious. 

So I'm just curous how it works in your family! 

Ok, this is not meant to come off as critical or insulting or anything, I am just genuinely curious!!!  How does fondue fit into the meal?  Does it sit in the middle and people eat other foods and also eat fondue, is it an appetizer?  I don't understand.  LOL!!!!!!!

I only ask because I live in Switzerland and fondue is a completely stand-alone thing here.  The entire meal is just bread (occasionally potatoes for the daring) and the melted cheese/wine/garlic concoction of choice.  The only acceptable drink options are hot tea or white wine. 

I once made fondue for my DH's family and it felt so plain that I added a starter salad and also various pickled vegetables during  the meal (which are routinely served with the OTHER big melted cheese meal- raclette) and you'd think I was making everyone eat squid.  Hilarious. 

My husband's employer gave him a wedge of raclette for Christmas.  How do you prepare this without special gadgets?  We would like to eat it tomorrow evening.  

Christmas morning we are having cinnamon rolls.  Dinner will be baked potatoes and whatever dh brings home from his trip to Whole Foods tonight.  Dessert will be cookies and candy.

It is just the six of us and usually is just the six of us.  We do a big special meal on Christmas Eve and have it for leftovers on Christmas Day.  In the past, it has usually been a ham or turkey dinner with all of the fixings but last year we decided to change it up a bit.  When I was growing up, we always had fondue for Christmas Eve and the kids really wanted to try it.  We did have it last year but two of our kids were sick and did not get to enjoy it so they requested that I do it again and I am happy to.  I cube up the beef and cook it before hand.  I then place it in a large crockpot with a little bit of beef broth to keep it warm and moist.  We have a mustard dip, garlic butter dip, horseradish sourcream dip, and a spicy tomato dip for the meat.  There a a cheese dip for vegetables.  Our dessert is a variety of fruits, marshmallows, and pretzels to dip in hot caramel and hot fudge dip.  I make enough for us to have for leftovers on Christmas.

I always make homemade cinnamon rolls for Christmas Day.  I set out warm cinnamon rolls, muffins, bacon, and fruit for everyone to eat when they feel like it.  I will have the leftover meat in the crockpot so everyone can serve themselves throughout the day.  There will also be a variety of cookies, candy, and drinks available for us to enjoy thoughout the day.

For Christmas Eve, I'll put a roast in the crock pot and serve it with steamed potatoes (put whole potatoes in an inch or so of water and bake, covered, in the oven for an hour or two at 350) and microwaved frozen veggies. For Christmas Day, we will have deli meat, sliced sausage, crackers, cheese, rolls, etc. for sandwiches. For Christmas breakfast I will bake a coffee cake today, freeze it, and let it thaw while we open presents. I also bought sugar cereal as a special Christmas breakfast treat (I never buy it regularly).

our family of seven, and dd's fiance.

christmas cookies and frudge out and around.

appetizers:

• norwegian style smoked salmon
  • brie  (can't get good havarti at costco anymore. grr.)
  • dates
  • french bread and crackers
  • pea pods and carrot sticks

Dinner:

• standing rib roast,
  • potatoes (ds wants mashed w/gravy and new)
  • vegetables (green beans and vichy carrots)
  • homemade rolls  (and jams)

dessert

• chocolate hazelnut christmas tree stump
  • white fruit cake

egg nog and hot chocolate for after dinner.

christmas day: (family, fiance, and friend who lives in switzerland flying in christmas eve)  much more laid back

• panettone
  • bacon?
  • sausage?
  • waffles?
  • dutch babies?
  • orange juice?
  • leftovers from dinner

We've only gotten as far as having dh order a lot of tamales for the 25th. We'll just have five people, but I've been on crutches for a month and still can't walk or drive, so I have to keep things simple too. I think we'll probably have pizza tomorrow night and red and green pancakes for breakfast on the 25th.

I'm sad that since moving away from the SW I no longer have a place to order tamales for Christmas.  It's just not the same if I have to make them myself  :tongue_smilie:

You were not asking me but I hope that you won't mind my commenting.

Our Christmas Eve tradition for years was cheese fondue served with bread cubes, then to appease my ham loving father who was visiting we would have ham, smoked turkey, lettuce, tomato and rye for sandwiches. My parents have passed away which gave my son the courage to confess that he really does not care for cheese fondue.  (Heresy!) So there are other options.  My husband grew up eating fondue that consisted of cubes of beef cooked in oil.  But neither he nor I eat beef anymore so we have found a new option appreciated by all:  spicy shrimp fondue.  The pot contains a mixture of olive oil, beer and spices.  We dip shrimp, cauliflower and bread cubes in the pot.  On the side there will still be smoked turkey, rye, lettuce for those wanting sandwiches.

That clunking noise was the sound of Monica fainting at the thought of such blasphemy!

My husband's employer gave him a wedge of raclette for Christmas.  How do you prepare this without special gadgets?  We would like to eat it tomorrow evening.  

Christmas morning we are having cinnamon rolls.  Dinner will be baked potatoes and whatever dh brings home from his trip to Whole Foods tonight.  Dessert will be cookies and candy.

Raclette here is served two ways- In a chalet, or in the home of someone who is an insane fan of raclette, they have a huge device where the entire half-wheel or quarter wheel or whatever is heated, then the bubbly/crispy/melty portion is scraped off ("raclé" = scraped) onto a plate containing boiled potatoes.  You then can sprinkle with various seasoninigs- usually paprika, pepper, or other speciality raclette seasoning blends. 

For less enthusiastic raclette fans, there is usually still a special table top broiler oven thingy.  The wedge is cut into little square shaped slices that fit onto these special ittle rimmed spatula thingies that each person can then slide under the table top broiler and toast to their desired meltiness/crispiness.  There is then a little tiny individual spatula that fits inside the toasting spatula to scrape the cheese onto your potatoes.  You then pop another peice of cheese under the broiler while you eat the first piece. 

Assuming you have neither option, for something resembling an authentic raclette I would boil potatoes until done, then place them on a foil lined baking sheet and lightly smash them with a potato masher.  Then put a slice of the raclette cheese on top and pop it under the broiler until bubbly and golden.  Serve those with various seasoning options.  Sides should include pickes and other pickkled veggies like those little corn cobs (my kids' favorite) or little picked onions (my favorite). 

White wine is always the recommended beverage with melted cheese.  :laugh:

I mentioned spicy shrimp fondue as our meal on Christmas Eve.

On Christmas morning we have Moravian Sugarcake (a yeast risen coffee cake) and a potato/onion/smoked fish frittata.

Christmas dinner is not a fixed thing.  Last year we had Bang Bang Chicken (with a nod to Terry Pratchett's story The Hogfather).  This year we are having Cornish Hens cooked on the rotisserie unit of the grill, a rice pilaf, green salad or cooked greens and sweet potato pie for dessert. Not that we need dessert with the number of sweets that usually find their way into our home this time of year!

In our tradition (and local practice), Christmas eve dinner doesn't exist so that's easy.  :)

Christmas day we do our own family in the morning, so no one else bringing anything (cinnamon rolls, hams, sausage, eggs). We're hosting a dinner at our house in the evening and are having Papa Murphy's pizza, salad, and ice cream.  Others are bringing pizzas and salad; we're providing pizza and ice cream. 

I did a meal this past weekend.  I did a standing prime rib roast, a twice baked potato casserole, green beans with carmelized shallots, and a green salad with gorgonzola, pears, pomegranate, and toasted walnuts w/champagne vinagerette.  All we had for dessert was Christmas cookies. 

A day ahead, I put together the potatoes ahead of time in a casserole and they baked with the roast at the end.  I par cooked the green beans.  I made salad dressing and toasted walnuts.  A few hours ahead, I carmelized the shallots, and put together the salad except for the pear and dressing.  Last minute, I did the beans and shallots together for like 8 minutes stove top, cut the pear and tossed the salad, set the potatoes on the table, cut the meat.  Pre-prep felt pretty minimal for a fancy meal (for us anyway!). 

Raclette here is served two ways- In a chalet, or in the home of someone who is an insane fan of raclette, they have a huge device where the entire half-wheel or quarter wheel or whatever is heated, then the bubbly/crispy/melty portion is scraped off ("raclé" = scraped) onto a plate containing boiled potatoes.  You then can sprinkle with various seasoninigs- usually paprika, pepper, or other speciality raclette seasoning blends. 

For less enthusiastic raclette fans, there is usually still a special table top broiler oven thingy.  The wedge is cut into little square shaped slices that fit onto these special ittle rimmed spatula thingies that each person can then slide under the table top broiler and toast to their desired meltiness/crispiness.  There is then a little tiny individual spatula that fits inside the toasting spatula to scrape the cheese onto your potatoes.  You then pop another peice of cheese under the broiler while you eat the first piece. 

Assuming you have neither option, for something resembling an authentic raclette I would boil potatoes until done, then place them on a foil lined baking sheet and lightly smash them with a potato masher.  Then put a slice of the raclette cheese on top and pop it under the broiler until bubbly and golden.  Serve those with various seasoning options.  Sides should include pickes and other pickkled veggies like those little corn cobs (my kids' favorite) or little picked onions (my favorite). 

White wine is always the recommended beverage with melted cheese.  :laugh:

Thanks.  Potatoes I can do.   

I'm sad that since moving away from the SW I no longer have a place to order tamales for Christmas.  It's just not the same if I have to make them myself  :tongue_smilie:

I've been practicing making them so we'll be able to eat them when we're in Saudi Arabia.  Because Christmas without tamales is just sad, even if the ones I make are never fluffy enough.

This our veganized menu for the two days. I'm hosting both days. My parents come on the 24th & then dh's family and my parents again on the 25th.

Christmas Eve:
-borscht
-pierogi with potato
-pierogi with sauerkraut & mushroom
-Gardein 'fish'
-boiled young potato
-hot sauerkraut
-cold cabbage salad

Christmas Day:
-Gardein 'scallopini'
-mushroom gravy

-cranberry sauce
-lemon roasted potatoes
-mashed garlic potatoes

-hot grated beets

-steamed green beans
-stuffed mushroom caps
-another veg: creamed spinach or roast cauliflower (haven't decided yet)

-pickle

Deserts
-vegan cheesecake
-almond cake

-yeast baba w/ lemon glaze
-apple crimble crumble with non dairy ice cream

-various cookies & snickerdoodles

-poppyseed 'pudding'

I've been practicing making them so we'll be able to eat them when we're in Saudi Arabia.  Because Christmas without tamales is just sad, even if the ones I make are never fluffy enough.

AGREED!!!!!

I do have a friend here from Mexico City, and we have made tamales together, but I'm not very good at it, and it would take me for.ev.er

ETA, we were supposed to spend Christmas with an expat family from Russia, but dh has flu so our plans have been scrapped.  I was looking forward to learning about some new traditions :)

Christmas Eve, we are going out to O'Charley's for dinner.  Woohoo!!  Come home and eat some cookies.

Christmas Day breakfast, it's sausage pinwheels, eggnog pancakes, and cinnamon sticky rolls.

Dinner, it's turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, corn, fresh-made rolls, pecan pie, and lemon meringue pie.  We didn't have Thanksgiving food on Thanksgiving (don't get me started  :glare: ), so we're having it for Christmas.

But if I was sick, it would be a lot smaller and simpler!

Inspired by fraidycat, I'm going to try to make potato and cheese pierogis!  DH has requested the garlic rosemary crockpot potatoes I made for Thanksgiving, so I'm thinking I should throw some sort of vegetable in there as well, and I'll call it done.

Oh man, this is our first year where there is nowhere near us that sells Moravian sugarcake.  Off to look up recipes to see how ridiculous it would be to make it....

Inspired by fraidycat, I'm going to try to make potato and cheese pierogis!  DH has requested the garlic rosemary crockpot potatoes I made for Thanksgiving, so I'm thinking I should throw some sort of vegetable in there as well, and I'll call it done.

Oh man, this is our first year where there is nowhere near us that sells Moravian sugarcake.  Off to look up recipes to see how ridiculous it would be to make it....

See, you can't just SAY something like that without sharing a recipe!   :laugh:

Christmas Eve-- finger foods, cheese and crackers and cookies

Christmas Day--breakfast is Farmers Casserole, Land of Nods--monkey bread and a huge fruit salad

--dinner is Ham, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, green beans, deviled eggs,  relish tray, salad and rolls 

Eve is crab cakes for hubby, self and our one son who loves crab, and also we order in pizza for everyone, too.  After mass in the late afternoon I am not coming home to cook anything but crabbie patties!

Christmas Day, after homemade cinnamon rolls (making today so can have them tomorrow too.):

A couple appetizers from T.J., fennel (hubby has to have raw fennel), brie and crackers

Beef tenderloin (I love how it oven roasts in 45 minutes!)

mashed taters

wild rice pilaf

oven roasted beets and squash

steamed broccoli

white rice

pop n fresh crescent rolls

canned beef gravy (since no one wants it but me)

salad

red/green jello

Yule Log

Toffee Pudding (from the Dec. Saveur magazine)

too many cookies

the jello and white rice and plain broccoli are mostly for my adult son with autism since he has a very self-restricted diet.

Christmas it's just us.   This year for Christmas Eve we are girilling steak, shrimp and having roasted asparagus, baked beans for sides, rolls and red velvet cake for dessert

Christmas morning will be  monkey bread

Christmas dinner if we don't go to waffle house we will have manicotti and garlic bread.

Christmas Eve and Christmas are just the 10 of us (we add in ds's girlfriend). Eve is chili, cornbread and ice cream cake. Christmas morning is my homemade cinnamon rolls, bacon and mimosas. Christmas dinner will be buffet style with fruit and veg tray, ham, mac&cheese, rolls, cheeses and crackers and a cookie tray. Our family Christmas on Saturday will be pizza, Arizona dips, sausage balls, fruit and veg and treat trays with cookies and candies served buffet style. A sit down dinner just isn't possible due to space. All events are at our home.

Christmas Eve is simple potato soup in bread bowls at my Sister's house.  Ice cream for dessert

Christmas day is Ã†bleskivers, eggs, bacon for breakfast.  Dinner is ham, funeral potatoes, rolls, bacon wrapped green beans. Pie for dessert. Sister and family will come to our house for Christmas dinner.  This is our first Christmas ever living by family.  It is so fun!!

It will be an appetizer before the meal.  Something to snack on while I am getting the last minute stuff done.  We are just doing cheese fondue with bread and pretzels.  It also keeps people out of the kitchen and from getting in the way.

I don't cook on Christmas Eve. Well, I do, but I'm cooking food for Christmas Day. We'll have leftovers and more or less clean out the fridge. My mother used to serve antipasto on Christmas Eve but I think that's as much work as cooking if it's done right.

Christmas Day will be cheese ravioli with meatballs and my mother's sauce recipe (which isn't really a recipe), and a big tossed salad. We'll eat around noon. My FIL is putting some steaks on the grill later in the day. This is no one's idea of a Christmas meal, but it's his first Christmas without MIL so we're all just going along with him. I'll bring some of the meatballs and sauce for nibbling.

Christmas Eve (7 people)

Prawn cocktails (prawns, lettuce, lemon wedges, thousand island dressing)

Cold ham, cold chicken, new potatoes (with butter), lettuce salad, tomatoes

Lemon Merigue Pie with sorbet

Beer/Wine/Sparkling apple juice

Christmas Breakfast (4 people)

Whitebait patties

sparkling grapejuice

Christmas Lunch (16ish people)

Cold meats: ham, chicken, lamb, turkey, pork, corned beef

salads: cucumber, lettuce, tomato, carrot

other: boiled eggs (some stuffed, some plain), peas, potatoes

condiments: mint sauce, mayonnaise, tomato sauce, apple sauce

dessrt: ambrosia, chocolate cream log, ice cream, berry fruit, fruit salad

Christmas dinner (30 ish people)

Much the same as lunch except the ham will be hot, and the desserts will be sans dairy. 

editing because I forgot the pavlova, trifle and cheesecake.  How could I forget the pav??

I cook all of Thanksgiving. Christmas is a collaborative event :)

Christmas Eve at my sister-in-law's:

--whatever she cooks, usually Italian

--whatever my inlaws bring, usually a ham

--my desserts: chocolate chip cheesecake, layered pumpkin pie (pumpkin mousse sandwiching hm whipped cream)

Christmas brunch at my sister's:

--two egg bake casseroles (cheddar and sausage, Swiss and ham)

--a very rich coffeecake that we call the "evil coffeecake"

--traditional German stollen (me)

--bacon

--scrapple

--blackberries

--cantaloupe

--mimosas for the adults

--fizzy juice for the kids

Christmas dinner also at my sister's:

--shrimp

--crab dip w baguette slices (me)

--veggie tray w hm onion dip soy-allergic dd can eat (me)

--taco dip w tortilla chips (me)

--Italian meats, cheeses, marinated stuff, etc

--any sweet or salty treats we make