Menu

Do you have a 'must have' dessert for Christmas?

Annie G

We do not, so I'm looking for inspiration.  Just four of us here this year, and we're pretty low key. But I'd like to make something yummy for dessert.  We made cookies over the weekend, but I want something different. 

So what is your Christmas dessert? Something that will be good for a few days would be excellent since we'll all be here (no work for any of us!) from tomorrow through the weekend. 

No traditions, but I can tell you what I'm making this year, as I'm in charge of dessert at two different dinners. (Christmas Eve and Christmas Day)

English Trifle (my husband's request, his late mother made this often)

Mini Pies in muffin tins - mincemeat, pecan, maybe pumpkin

mini gingerbread whoopie pies

cupcakes - some decorated with a reindeer decorating kit I got at walmart, some decorated with min christmas trees

My mom makes this peppermint/chocolate icecream cake with crushed Oreo crust that is to die for. I have no idea what her recipe is, but it's got two layers of peppermint icecream, crushed candy canes, chocolate syrup, and as I said, an Oreo crust, and she makes it in a Springform pan.

Cranberry Christmas Pie!  It's really more of a cake with cranberries and walnuts, and sooo good with vanilla ice cream.  The sweet/tart/buttery/nutty combo is more than the sum of its parts, plus the cranberries make it look festive.  Below is my mom's recipe.  The past couple years I've just bought a golden cake mix to pour over the cranberries, walnuts and sugar in a deep dish pie plate, and it's just as good.  

Cranberry Christmas Pie

Grease 10 " pie plate.  Completely cover bottom with cranberries.  Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup walnuts.  Beat 2 eggs and 1 cup sugar.  Beat again and add 1 cup flour and 1 stick melted butter.  Beat, then pour overcranberries.  Bake 325 degrees for 45-60 min.  

Amy

I know you're not looking for cookies...but my kids have to make peanut butter blossoms every year (peanut butter cookie with a Hersheys kiss in the middle). That's the only real constant in this house. :)

That's what we made Sunday- there are three cookies that we must make and those are #1. The other two are the Andes cookies and jamborees made with apricot preserves.  We love those peanut butter blossoms!!!

Cranberry Christmas Pie!  It's really more of a cake with cranberries and walnuts, and sooo good with vanilla ice cream.  The sweet/tart/buttery/nutty combo is more than the sum of its parts, plus the cranberries make it look festive.  Below is my mom's recipe.  The past couple years I've just bought a golden cake mix to pour over the cranberries, walnuts and sugar in a deep dish pie plate, and it's just as good.  

Cranberry Christmas Pie

Grease 10 " pie plate.  Completely cover bottom with cranberries.  Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup walnuts.  Beat 2 eggs and 1 cup sugar.  Beat again and add 1 cup flour and 1 stick melted butter.  Beat, then pour overcranberries.  Bake 325 degrees for 45-60 min.  

Amy

Oh my, I MUST make this. If not this week, then when dd comes to visit next month with the grands.  I've never heard of this- sounds like something I would LOVE!

I am no help. Our family just does cookies...lots and lots of cookies. I have crisp graham cookies (PB, M&Ms, and graham cracker crumbs), peppermint eggwhite cookies, another peppermint cookie, molasses cookies, chocolate chip cookie dough truffles, and I might be missing some. My mom and sister have about the same number of varieties. 

Christmas dessert is cookies galore in our family! 

Christmas pudding of course!  Something like this.

I would love to make this if I thought my clan would even try it.  I love traditional recipes and we've been playing with some lately. Lefse and potato pancakes made from scratch...both were winners. I think they might taste the Christmas puddling, but not sure they would appreciate the effort. Wow- that list of ingredients would take some time to locate in our small town. 

I wish we had some special Christmas tradition like this, but alas, the kids are grown and we never found a special favorite. 

My extended family grew up with Yule log cakes and brandy fruit cakes for Christmas. I like tiramisu so sometimes we get the tiramisu log cake. There was a Harrods as well as a Marks & Spencer back home.

Christmas pudding of course! Something like this.

A male ex-colleague does the traditional Christmas pudding and brings to office. He went to Bath, UK for BEng.

For us it's what DH calls four-layer dessert. I know is goes by other names as well. Basically, it is a walnut, flour, butter crust. Then a layer of cream cheese, sugar and cool whip. Next a layer of butterscotch pudding and lastly a topping of cool whip.

This is DH very favorite thing ever and it's really grown on me too. The only thing is, I wish I could make it more from scratch. But, apparently, it MUST be made with box pudding and Cool Whip. Sigh.

For us it's what DH calls four-layer dessert. I know is goes by other names as well. Basically, it is a walnut, flour, butter crust. Then a layer of cream cheese, sugar and cool whip. Next a layer of butterscotch pudding and lastly a topping of cool whip.

Can you share this recipe?  It sounds like something my dh would LOVE!

You guys have some really good ideas!  I think I'm going to play around with that four layer dessert thing for dh's birthday in February. He likes to take a dessert to work to share and this would be perfect.  But I also think making it from scratch is worth a try, especially since nobody here is hung ho on Cool Whip. 

The chocolate cake with more than a cup of peppermint schnapps? Oh, if my extended family was here that would be so yummy!!

I've made this a number of times for christmas dinner in the last 13 years.  I'm making it this year too.  it has trumped every other dessert we've ever done.  (including dh's chocolate cheesecake - for which he gets raves, and a niece and nephew used as their wedding cakes - seems ordinary.)

chocolate hazelnut christmas tree stump.  ('cause it's too fat to be a yule log)  from Celebrate with Chocolate" by Marcel  Desaulniers

don't let the name decieve you.  it's extremely rich - and will easily serve 20.

sorry I can't find a picture of it (though pictures of other stuff comes up when doing an image search, they're not it.)

here's a picture of mine - I finished it so it can chill overnight.  we eat christmas eve.

post-21762-0-59677100-1419400712_thumb.jpg

You guys have some really good ideas!  I think I'm going to play around with that four layer dessert thing for dh's birthday in February. He likes to take a dessert to work to share and this would be perfect.  But I also think making it from scratch is worth a try, especially since nobody here is hung ho on Cool Whip. 

The chocolate cake with more than a cup of peppermint schnapps? Oh, if my extended family was here that would be so yummy!!

It really is! And it's just one of many variations on "booze soaked cakes" that I've tried! :)

Really quick...hopefully I'll be back to copy that cranberry cake recipe! Yum!

No consistent tradition. But I've made carrot cake in a 13 x 9 pan that holds up well in the refrigerator for days.

And I've heard the 4 layer thing called "Slush Cake" but I've only had it with chocolate pudding. I've wanted to try it with pistachio pudding, though.

Thank you. I'm going to make this for a party next week. I think it would be too much for our smaller gathering on Christmas Day.

allow yourself time to make it.  I never make the bark the same day as the rest.  (you can make the syrup ahead, but it's really fast.)

Can you share this recipe? It sounds like something my dh would LOVE!

Of course!

Layer 1:

1cup flour

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (I always use walnuts)

Combine ingredients and press into 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Cool completely. (I tend to up this mixture by half, so 1 1/2 cups flours,1 cup butter and 1 cup nuts. I like crust:) )

Layer 2:

1 8oz brick of cream cheese, softened

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup Cool Whip

Beat cream cheese and sugar. Stir in Cool Whip. Spread on crust.

Layer 3:

2 3oz boxes instant butterscotch pudding (can use other flavors)

3 cups cold milk

1 tsp vanilla

Whisk and spread over layer 2. It is easiest to pour the pudding before it starts to thicken. Chill well, at least an hour.

Layer 4:

Spread with remaining Cool Whip and sprinkle with a few chopped nuts. Keep and serve chilled.

I made the mistake of making a Yule Log one year - and now it is expected!

We buy ours from hotel bakeries. Part of my childhood fun was grabbing the reindeer and Santa ornaments off the top of the Yule logs. My extended family are big cake eaters. I forgot how many we end up buying every year. We have strawberry filled, durian filled, chocolate filled, the tiramisu kind. We bought some with the chocolate frostings and some with white frostings.

We buy ours from hotel bakeries. Part of my childhood fun was grabbing the reindeer and Santa ornaments off the top of the Yule logs. My extended family are big cake eaters. I forgot how many we end up buying every year. We have strawberry filled, durian filled, chocolate filled, the tiramisu kind. We bought some with the chocolate frostings and some with white frostings.

Shoot, no nice hotels with bakeries around here, and the local bakeries and stores just do not make nice yule logs.

Durian filled? Does durian filling smell better than fresh durian? 

Durian filled? Does durian filling smell better than fresh durian?

No. I won't be able to smuggle a durian filled Yule log or any durian filled pastries into a hotel lobby.

Malaysia's durian has a stronger smell compare to Thailand's durian. The ones sold at chinese supermarket is from Thailand.

We don't have a specific must-have recipe, but I do require that Christmas dessert be special and not the same old cookies we've been eating for days.  (Not that there's anything wrong with cookies.)

Whenever we would visit my in-laws, the entire 5-7 days of the visit she'd bring out the cookie tins after every lunch and dinner.  Oh that drove me crazy.  One year I suggested she leave one kind set aside for Christmas - oh my word, the scandal!  :lol:

So, this year my daughter and I are making chocolate layer cake with ganache filling and orange buttercream frosting.  This probably doesn't seem like a very traditional Christmas dessert but everyone agrees we should do it, so we will. 

Now, I would never object to cookies as Christmas dessert - it's the repeat of the same dang cookies over and over that bugs me.  One year we had a knock-off of Starbucks cranberry bliss bars.  Yum (and surprisingly easy to make). 

What the heck is a Yule log, and durian? What in the world? These must be Yankee desserts. My constants are banana pudding and apple pie. Proper desserts that are in no way similar to a tree or any part thereof.

a yule log** cake is a sponge cake that is rolled up around a filling to get a long log, and laid on it's side lengthwise.  it is then frosted to look like a log. sometimes decorated with sprigs of holly (or candies to look like holly)  it is of french origin, also known as "bûche de Noël", the earliest recipes date to the 1600's.

I make a 'stump' 'cause it's too fat to lay on it's side! it uses four kinds of chocolate.  it has a chocolate ganache buttercream filling/frosting.  the bark is made from three kinds of chocolate and roasted hazelnuts.  the recipe is upthread.  and it is very yummy.  (and very rich - so small pieces are very satisfying.)

** a yule *log* is a log that was decorated with cones/holly/etc. and sometimes sprinkled with salt and burned at the winter solstice. some records indicate the custom was in practice in parts of europe before the medieval period.

Yule log is a European tradition. Long explanation and photo in link

http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/the-delicious-history-of-the-yule-log

Durian is a thorny fruit with strong smelling flesh from SE Asia.

I think those are imported here.  we have a large asian population - and the pictures look familiar.  just never knew what it was.

butter tarts!

You must be from Canada.

My extended family grew up with Yule log cakes and brandy fruit cakes for Christmas. I like tiramisu so sometimes we get the tiramisu log cake. There was a Harrods as well as a Marks & Spencer back home.

A male ex-colleague does the traditional Christmas pudding and brings to office. He went to Bath, UK for BEng.

These were our traditions growing up also along with mince tarts. The fruitcake would be baked in October and soaked with brandy for a couple of months. Then it would be iced with marzipan and royal icing and decorated with little skiing and tobogganing figures, some fir trees and animals. The whole thing would then be wrapped in a red silk ribbon around the outside edge. It was magical and also delicious, dark and rich and redolent with brandy and love.

Nowadays I often serve a rich vanilla bean ice cream sprinkled with crushed peppermint. Along with that is a plate of clementines, dark chocolates and shortbread. After a big meal the peppermint is refreshing.

This is DH very favorite thing ever and it's really grown on me too. The only thing is, I wish I could make it more from scratch. But, apparently, it MUST be made with box pudding and Cool Whip. Sigh.

We have 4 layer too, but ours is with chocolate pudding.

I am also making cheesecake, probably mini ones so I can make different kinds, peanut clusters, and dairy free fudge for DD.