Menu

pleurisy

fourcatmom

I'm pretty certain I am dealing with pleurisy now on top of everything else. I was prescribe a PEP therapy device and started using it on the 10th. Within a day I didn't feel right. Tired, intense back pain, nausea and overall not well. Symtomps seemed to subside and then came back on Sunday. Woke up with unbelievable pain mostly on the left upper back but radiating around to the front. It hurt to breathe and by afternoon my chest hurt and was tight and breathing in was really painful. My dh thought it was a pulmonary embolism so he called for an ambulance. I have had tests that show I am risk for one. After CT scan verified it wasn't doc said pleurisy and wanted me to follow up with pulmonary and prescribed tramadol. Any insights on pleurisy and what to expect? I see my primary doc tomorrow.

Thanks

I had the same thing happen when I was pregnant, except no ambulance ride. It was THE single most painful experience ever and I have had unmedicated childbirth and naturally passed kidney stones. So I've dealt with pain. There was nothing like pleurisy. It's been over two years and my ob/gym who saw me first in the hospital still asks me about it. He said he had never been so worried and he is close to retirement age.

I am so, so sorry that you are dealing with it. My heart rate was extremely elevated and I was vomiting because of the pain. At the worst of the pain I couldn't really focus to make medical decisions so I was given massive amounts of pain medicine. It didn't help much. But, it took my mind off of it for a few minutes. Ice packs helped more. Once I knew I wasn't dying and that the baby was ok, I started using focused breathing and continued using ice packs. I was more in control then. The pain lasted for months but became more bearable each day, until one morning I took a breath and it didn't hurt anymore.

If I had not been pregnant, I would have consistently taken any pain medicine prescribed. Rest. Fluids. Stay in bed. Stay calm. Relax your breathing. Ice packs. Time.

Edited to add: I hope that you have a quick recovery and are feeling better soon. Sorry that you have to go through this. I'm sure everyone has a different experience so maybe your will be better.

I hope that your doctor is able to help. For me, everyone was just so glad I wasn't dying that all I got was a pat on the back and a prescription for pain medicine. The doctor wanted to admit me for a while, but I thought I would rest better at home. I was still crying as the nurse wheeled me to my car and she kept asking why I was so upset when everything turned out fine. I can laugh now, but I wanted to kill her then. Please take care and keep us posted on how you are feeling.

I had it years ago and I would also say it is one of the most painful illnesses (gallbladder, old school style with 8 inch scar, was worse but internist said worst he'd seen in 20 years and couldn't understand how I was still standing).  The worst part, besides the pain, was that I couldn't breathe.  I went to the ER got meds was better in a few days. Lots of pain and it's scary not being able to breathe.  I did better when I laid in a particular position so try to adjust and see if that helps.  If it gets too bad go to the ER. From what I understand Pleurisy itself isn't dangerous but the underlying condition should be watched.   

DH got it when we were first married. He wound up missing too much of his culinary school program and not graduating because he couldn't pay for make up courses. He described it as the worst pain he'd ever experienced (at the time; I haven't asked him how it compared to the kidney stones he passed last year). I know he was utterly miserable. I was in Japan at the time so couldn't help him. He was supposed to stay in bed but kept having to do things like get food. Not fun times.

My advice is to follow Dr's orders to a T. This is a good reason/time to have children and husband waiting on you hand and foot. Forget about holiday plans--just rest!

I've had chronic pleurisy as part of my lupus struggle. It's been almost a decade since the last attack, thank God, but I've had it four or five times and have permanent scarring from it.  The #1 thing, for me, is to rest. Obviously, it's taking all your effort to breathe and endure the pain, so don't be trying to spend energy on much of anything else. One Christmas DH moved my bed into the front room so I wouldn't miss anything; my boys were really little and it was just not OK with me to be suffering in the other room alone while they did Christmas. But rest is paramount.

If you are at risk for PE, does that mean you are also at risk for DVT? If so, ask your doctor if you need blood thinners, if you are liable to be on bedrest for awhile.

The only other thing I can think of is to stay very hydrated, and do try to eat small, nutritious meals like homemade soup if somebody can cook it for you. When you are paralyzed by pain 24/7 you forget to drink or eat, but your body is using up reserves faster than usual due to the stress. So vitamins with C and zinc if your doctor approves, since you burn through those quickly during pain, and lots to drink. This will also help a little to prevent PE or DVT.

The worst of it will be over soon. The super intense pain at the beginning doesn't last for the duration of the illness; it will start to subside a little soon. But watch for pneumonia symptoms or increased pain - if it's getting worse, there are things they can do to relieve the pressure. They can drain the fluid, or splint your chest, or several other things. If you're able to breathe deeply and cough if you need to (I know, that sounds insane and impossible) it really will help keep it from going to pneumonia.

Praying for you.

*disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or nurse.as always, please check any internet advice with your doc before following it*

Thank you everyone. I have not done much at all, barely even taking showers since this whole thing started around the 10th. The back pain and frontal pain didn't start until around the 12th but the searing pain came on this weekend. I have had small breaks and the tramadol helps but just really knocks me out so I am doing that when i cant stand it and need to sleep. My kids have really been helping and DH too since I have sort of planted myself on the couch unable to move or breathe too deeply. I am just wondering if they will prescribe anything else. I don't think I have an infection since it seemed to start with the therapy but who knows with me.

I've had chronic pleurisy as part of my lupus struggle. It's been almost a decade since the last attack, thank God, but I've had it four or five times and have permanent scarring from it.  The #1 thing, for me, is to rest. Obviously, it's taking all your effort to breathe and endure the pain, so don't be trying to spend energy on much of anything else. One Christmas DH moved my bed into the front room so I wouldn't miss anything; my boys were really little and it was just not OK with me to be suffering in the other room alone while they did Christmas. But rest is paramount.

If you are at risk for PE, does that mean you are also at risk for DVT? If so, ask your doctor if you need blood thinners, if you are liable to be on bedrest for awhile.

The only other thing I can think of is to stay very hydrated, and do try to eat small, nutritious meals like homemade soup if somebody can cook it for you. When you are paralyzed by pain 24/7 you forget to drink or eat, but your body is using up reserves faster than usual due to the stress. So vitamins with C and zinc if your doctor approves, since you burn through those quickly during pain, and lots to drink. This will also help a little to prevent PE or DVT.

The worst of it will be over soon. The super intense pain at the beginning doesn't last for the duration of the illness; it will start to subside a little soon. But watch for pneumonia symptoms or increased pain - if it's getting worse, there are things they can do to relieve the pressure. They can drain the fluid, or splint your chest, or several other things. If you're able to breathe deeply and cough if you need to (I know, that sounds insane and impossible) it really will help keep it from going to pneumonia.

Praying for you.

*disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or nurse.as always, please check any internet advice with your doc before following it*

I don't know what DVT is. I had a blood test that said I was at risk for blood clots and I am suppose to take an aspirin a day. I have lung disease and small airway disease and cough for 3+ years. Whooping cough 3 times in 4 years (was just treated with my 3rd case in November). They are also treating me for ABPA (allergic broncho pulmonary aspergillosis).

DVT - I know what this is. I had to do several ultrasounds this summer on my legs since I was having join pain but that came back okay.

I don't know what DVT is. I had a blood test that said I was at risk for blood clots and I am suppose to take an aspirin a day. I have lung disease and small airway disease and cough for 3+ years. Whooping cough 3 times in 4 years (was just treated with my 3rd case in November). They are also treating me for ABPA (allergic broncho pulmonary aspergillosis).

DVT is "deep vein thrombosis" which is blood clots. Maybe remind the dr of your risk at your appt tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks everyone. So he diagnosed me with Pleuritis, which I guess is just another term for Pleurisy.  He prescribed Prednisone and Naproxen. Basically said to rest, try heat and hopefully it will resolve quickly with the meds. When he touched my back to check me, I just about jumped off the table it hurt so bad.

Thanks for all the input, I feel better just confirming that is what it is and I wont be using the PEP therapy device anymore.