Menu

Need science recs...

SparklyUnicorn

For a 9 year old.  Any topic.  Must be secular.

I've used NOEO, RS4K, R.E.A.L., Mr. Q, Exploration Education, Sassafras, and I have two levels of BFSU.  I don't care for BFSU.  I didn't like R.E.A.L. at all.  Sassafras we completed, but there were a ton of typos.  The others I listed I liked, but I want to know what else is out there. 

Please tell me there is something new and shiny and fun out there!

Another vote for an Ellen McHenry program. The Brain is also cool. Nine is a good age for Elements or The Brain, I think. Or maybe Botony, though I haven't used that one.

I sort of like the TOPS experiments, but there's no text. I'm also big on get a pile of books and videos and use those. Like, if you just watched a bunch of David Attenborough Life of... series all year, I feel like there's so much in there you could call it good at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Seconding or thirding or whatever the Ellen McHenry stuff. For get-'er-done, textbook science there's Galore Park. 

Oh, have you looked at Exploration Education or Supercharged Science? Supercharged is super-pricey, but those that have used it give it rave reviews. 

Ellen McHenry!!!  Her units don't cover a broad range of topics, but they are so engaging and indepth.  She doesn't over-simplify scientific concepts like many elementary science programs.  Instead, she makes complex concepts understandable for young children.  Lots of videos, hands-on, songs, games, etc  so you can pick and choose which activities would work well for your child.