Menu

need your fashion help!!

ProudGrandma

Unless it's a heather-y brown gray, I don't know if brown would look right.  If you're not averse to cheap shoes, you could probably pick up a thrift shop pair or a cheapy Walmart pair of casual black shoes for under $20 and test the waters :)  You might find that black shoes that go with jeans are more useful than you thought :)

B--

I have been informed by my fashion forward oldest dd that the old black vs brown shoe thing is over. Anything goes. I do see lots of brown boots with black leggings, etc so wear with pride.

I'd be reluctant to base my fashion choices on the opinions of one of my children, regardless of how fashion forward she might be, lol.

I think brown shoes are fairly neutral. Men wear brown shoes with jeans all the time, and it's not weird. I don't think anyone expects you to have shoes to match every top! I'd probably wear navy shoes with a gray sweater because I don't have brown. I vote way overthinking shoe choice. BUT, if you need an excuse to buy new shoes... ;)

Yes, you can wear brown shoes with a grey sweater. I don't know any adults outside of nursing homes that still follow those rules.

Black shoes are very practical so you might want to get some. But I have a black shoes and brown ones and I always choose my brown to wear with jeans, black shirt, and grey sweater.

I'd be reluctant to base my fashion choices on the opinions of one of my children, regardless of how fashion forward she might be, lol.

I very respectfully disagree. I love learning new stuff from my children. I've given my mother fashion tips through the years (many from these boards - bag length, etc.) and I'm always grateful when my dd gives me her thoughts also. My mother always reminds me that that is one of the many positives of having a daughter. She believes that you can often tell, if you know what I mean, who has a daughter being helpful and involved.

An example: an elderly dear friend of ours (recently widowed) does not have a daughter living nearby. She often leaves the house with her slip showing and other sorts of little mistakes like that. My mother reminded me how it's such a blessing to have a daughter nearby and that she is close to. She says that if our friend's lived here, she would remind her mother of these sorts of mistakes.

I know this sounds a bit weird, but I thought to share. I cherish the closeness that I have with my daughter and I absolutely love going shopping with her, or doing it online. 

I believe that in so many areas we can all learn from one another. It doesn't have to do with age or whatever. 

I very respectfully disagree. I love learning new stuff from my children. I've given my mother fashion tips through the years (many from these boards - bag length, etc.) and I'm always grateful when my dd gives me her thoughts also. My mother always reminds me that that is one of the many positives of having a daughter. She believes that you can often tell, if you know what I mean, who has a daughter being helpful and involved.

An example: an elderly dear friend of ours (recently widowed) does not have a daughter living nearby. She often leaves the house with her slip showing and other sorts of little mistakes like that. My mother reminded me how it's such a blessing to have a daughter nearby and that she is close to. She says that if our friend's lived here, she would remind her mother of these sorts of mistakes.

I know this sounds a bit weird, but I thought to share. I cherish the closeness that I have with my daughter and I absolutely love going shopping with her, or doing it online. 

I believe that in so many areas we can all learn from one another. It doesn't have to do with age or whatever. 

:iagree:

I learn from the younger set all the time, and though I don't adopt all their styles I certainly can incorporate some of them, when appropriate.

Also, reading Negin's comment, I feel :001_wub:. How sweet and dear to feel this way about your mom and your daughter. Such a blessing!

I learn from the younger set all the time, and though I don't adopt all their styles I certainly can incorporate some of them, when appropriate.

Also, reading Negin's comment, I feel :001_wub:. How sweet and dear to feel this way about your mom and your daughter. Such a blessing!

Gina, yes, maybe I was mistaken and what Ellie was trying to say is that she would not incorporate their styles. Neither would I, necessarily. I don't dress like a teenager and wouldn't dream of it. Not for me at all. To each their own. 

You are so sweet. Thank you for your very kind words.  :grouphug:  :)

Gina, yes, maybe I was mistaken and what Ellie was trying to say is that she would not incorporate their styles. Neither would I, necessarily. I don't dress like a teenager and wouldn't dream of it. Not for me at all. To each their own.

You are so sweet. Thank you for your very kind words. :grouphug: :)

I can see discounting a daughter's advice if she was trying to dress you like a teenager. However, some of us have daughters who are very good at putting looks together and wouldn't dream of dressing me like she dresses herself. I rely on my daughter quite a bit because she has a nice, conservative style and she's more interested in clothes and shoes than I am. I think caring about fashion skips a generation in my family. I like to look put together, I just don't want to have to organize it myself. It's nice to have a mother and daughter who enjoy that sort of thing.

My dd now goes to college across the country but she is home for Christmas break right now! :D 

If I put together something I haven't worn before, I always run it by her to see if it works. And, she's brutally honest! :lol: I sometimes even snap a selfie and send it to her for her input before I leave the house if I'm unsure if something looks good.

OP, brown is a neutral so it should work. I love red with gray so I'd slip on my red flats or my leopard print flats but I see brown with jeans and gray on top all the time.

Everyone needs a pair of black flats. ;) I just got this pair. Cute and comfy. They go with jeans, a skirt, slacks, etc.

I can see discounting a daughter's advice if she was trying to dress you like a teenager. However, some of us have daughters who are very good at putting looks together and wouldn't dream of dressing me like she dresses herself. I rely on my daughter quite a bit because she has a nice, conservative style and she's more interested in clothes and shoes than I am. I think caring about fashion skips a generation in my family. I like to look put together, I just don't want to have to organize it myself. It's nice to have a mother and daughter who enjoy that sort of thing.

:iagree:. My teenage daughter does not dress like a teenager and our tastes are quite similar. We're both fairly conservative. I agree that it's lovely to have something like this to enjoy together. :)

If I put together something I haven't worn before, I always run it by her to see if it works. And, she's brutally honest! I sometimes even snap a selfie and send it to her for her input before I leave the house if I'm unsure if something looks good.

This is me also. Those black flats are cute. I'm absolutely stunned that they've opened a Payless five minutes away from us. I haven't been in yet (too many people). The only franchises we have here are KFC, Subway, and now, Payless. If there was a B&N, Target, and a Costco, it would be perfect. :D Oh, a good coffee place would be nice also.  :lol: