Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW 52 Wrap it up with a bow

Robin M

Funny about the looking younger than you are thing....When I was pregnant with my first, I went to a yoga class with a friend who is the same age as myself and she is health nut.  The yoga instructor if I was her daughter.  That was awkward.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boxing Day! Jane, I should have known you'd wish us all a happy one. When I reflexively refer to the 26th this way I draw blank stares :lol:

Are you referring to the Crystal Palace in Brighton? I seem to recall as a child being taken to see some exhibit that was somehow associated with this structure. The line-ups snaked all along the building and I remember it was an impressive exhibit though I can't recall just exactly what it was for.

No, I was referring to the Crystal Palace that was erected in Hyde Park (London) for the 1851 expedition.  Later the building was moved but it burned to the ground in the 1930's.  The Crystal Palace contained miles of exhibits of culture and examples from the industrial revolution.  Millions flocked to the exhibition.  The admission fees collected funded the Natural History and Victoria and Albert Museums in London.

When my son was in elementary school, he adored the book The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins about the dino statues that were at the Crystal Palace. 

9780439566209_xlg.jpg

On his first trip to London, when he was 12, he insisted on going to the suburb of Bromley where there is now a park housing these statues. 

We are giving a thumbs up to the film The Imitation Game about mathematician Alan Turing and the team at Bletchley that cracked the Enigma machine code. 

Multiquotes doesn't seem to be working so.....

Angel, the family photo is lovely. Finally opened this morning.

Julia, I read Lovett's First Impressions recently and was amazed at how easy it was to read after all the bouncing that took place in Bookman's Tale.

Shukriyya, my ds received the d and d handbook for Cristmas a couple of years ago. Loved it. Unfortunately he never really found consistent people to play with. ;(

Robin, The Swan Thieves has been on my list for awhile. If you want to do a read along at some point that would be fun.

After a really lovely build up to Christmas our family came crashing down this morning. A dear friend died very unexpectedly, probably a heart attack. We had spent Christmas Eve with him and a group of bell ringers. He was my children's bell ringing mentor and was absolutely fabulous to both of them. My poor kids, he was their replacement grandpa. His wife is still living and we adore her, spent part of the day waiting with her for their daughter to arrive from her in laws. Very sad.

After a really lovely build up to Christmas our family came crashing down this morning. A dear friend died very unexpectedly, probably a heart attack. We had spent Christmas Eve with him and a group of bell ringers. He was my children's bell ringing mentor and was absolutely fabulous to both of them. My poor kids, he was their replacement grandpa. His wife is still living and we adore her, spent part of the day waiting with her for their daughter to arrive from her in laws. Very sad.

:grouphug:

I am so, so sorry for this loss.  Sending hugs to your children and all of the bell ringers.

Jane

Just wanted to say how much I love all of you. Your hugs mean a lot.

It was just such a shock. Another village friend had heard first and came to our door this morning. One look and we knew someone had died but we never expected it to be him. Dh and I are feeling very mortal right now.

I am enjoying reading about your Christmases and what books you all received! We met with family on Christmas Eve then spent a lazy Christmas at home. We played our new Ravensburger Labyrinth game and Just Dance 2015. I got The Making of a Story and Ted Hughes's Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow. I also got a word-a-day calendar and look forward to cleaning off my desk tomorrow so I have somewhere to put it.

No, I was referring to the Crystal Palace that was erected in Hyde Park (London) for the 1851 expedition.  Later the building was moved but it burned to the ground in the 1930's.  The Crystal Palace contained miles of exhibits of culture and examples from the industrial revolution.  Millions flocked to the exhibition.  The admission fees collected funded the Natural History and Victoria and Albert Museums in London.

When my son was in elementary school, he adored the book The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins about the dino statues that were at the Crystal Palace. 

9780439566209_xlg.jpg

On his first trip to London, when he was 12, he insisted on going to the suburb of Bromley where there is now a park housing these statues. 

We are giving a thumbs up to the film The Imitation Game about mathematician Alan Turing and the team at Bletchley that cracked the Enigma machine code. 

Same one. I mistakenly located it in Brighton but that's where we saw the exhibit that was somehow related to the original Crystal Palace. I can't remember what the correlation was and will have to ask my aunt next time I speak to her.

I'm sorry for your loss, Mumto2. 

I have a question:
I liked reading the history of Congo that much, that I wondered if comparable books are available about other countries.
I think I would like to start with other African countries.
My English is average or even a little below that to my standards so 'a book for the general public' would be nice.

I haven't read the Dutch book on the Congo, so it's hard to gauge what would be like it. I read King Leopold's Ghost, which was about the Congo, but after a general history perhaps you want to move on to other things. Ryszard Kapuscinski has some interesting books on Africa. The Shadow of the Sun. The Soccer War. The Emperor. Travels with Herodotus. After you read him you may want to look up something of his detractors online. Especially with the Ethopian book, his sources may have had their own agendas, but I still think he's worth reading. I have Congo Solo on a to-read list too. 

I am now reading Stella Gibbons'  Comfort Farm but I am not sure if I want to continue on with it.

I read Cold Comfort last year (or the year before) and felt the same about 1/3 of the way through. It pushed through until it was more plotted out, but it will never be a favorite. 

I love my brother. He's the only one who ever orders off my Amazon list and so gets me lots of books whenever he gets my name in the exchange. 

He got me: 

Libraries of the Ancient World

The Birth of the West: Rome, Germany, France and the Creation of Europe in the 10th Century

Escape Velocity: a Charles Portis Miscellanae

1177 BC: the year civilization collapsed

I'm so psyched right now. I'm reading The Innovators aloud to dh in the car during our long Christmas journeys (which is a very interesting book about innovators of the computer science revolution...including finally finding out exactly what Ada Lovelace did) and 1177 BC (about the first Dark Age, where successful empires like the Egyptians and Minoans faded or died off, but really about various people groups, trade, and interdependence during this era) to myself in my quiet moments. It's nice to start the year with some history. Maybe I can clear off some of the shelf when I'm done with these. 

I just finished a Laura Florand novella 

Sun-Kissed: A Novel (Amour et Chocolat Book 7).  (Hmm, novel or novella?  My copy has some 186 pages; I imagine the Amazon page count of 213 includes the author blurb, list of other works, and the snippets from the two of the author's other works.)

"They called her the Ice Queen.

Anne Winters. Self-made billionaire. Household name. Divorced single mom. Convicted felon. She didn’t let anyone or anything get to her. No one was allowed to breach the walls around her heart except for her own son. She had only one trusted friend: her vacation house neighbor. They’d been walking the beach together for twenty years. Not that this gave him access to her heart, of course…

They called him a man who got what he wanted.

Mack Corey. Self-made billionaire. Dominant world player. Widowed father of the bride. No felony convictions yet, although his daughters had come close. He’d transformed his family company into one of the top 500 by the age of thirty. He’d raised two daughters who dumped him for idiot arrogant French chocolatiers and went off to live in Paris. Hell, he even managed to tolerate his dad. But that Ice Queen act Anne Winters had going was really starting to get to him…

They’d been best friends for twenty years. Could they become lovers?
Could a frozen heart be kissed by the sun?"

One aspect of this romance that I enjoyed is that the hero and heroine were in their early fifties; I read a lot of romances but it's uncommon to encounter characters older than their thirties. 

Regards,

Kareni

Spent the day with my dad,sister, bil and family. We played miniature golf and then went to see Into The Woods. Good movie and just when I expected the happy ever after, it turned south and had a dark ending just like the old fairy tales. Also wasn't sure if they couldn't decide on whether going for play between secular character or christian morality. Very emotional movie and the music was well done.

[quote name="mumto2" post="6098574" timestamp="1419631817

:hug:

So very sorry for you and your family.

Here's a Rosemary Sutcliff title that is free to Kindle readers.  I believe this is one of her adult titles.

The Rider of the White Horse by Rosemary Sutcliff

"This is the story of a marriage.

Yet is also the story of England's civil war, as seen through the eyes of Sir Thomas Fairfax and his indomitable wife Anne, who trailed in the wake of her husband's army for three exhausting years, so that she could be with him when he needed her.

Sir Thomas Fairfax, who was to become commander-in-chief of Cromwell's Army, is the stirring hero of this dramatic historical novel.

A frail man with a lion's heart and a puritan's conscience, his exploits on the battlefield became as legendary as the name by which he was known to the weavers and farmers who made up his army.

'Black Tom', riding his famous stallion White Surrey, became a symbol of hope for the northern towns of England.

With him in their midst men discovered courage which led them to accomplish such things as the raising of the siege of Leeds and the capture of Wakefield, described by historians of the time as 'more a miracle than a victory'.

And always behind him 'like any draggle-tailed camp follower' came his dauntless wife Anne, leaving the softness of her life as a gentle-woman to brave the bitter comforts of any army on the march because she believed her husband needed her.

Rosemary Sutcliff has recaptured the very essence of this bloodthirsty period of England's history. The acrid smell of gunshot, the snorting of terrified horses, and the cries of wounded men are as vivid as the scent of Provence roses in the garden at Nun Appleton, or the smell of Anne's cherry conserve corning from the still room on a peaceful summer's day."

Regards,

Kareni

I finished what should be my second last book of the year, 'Root Cellaring' by Mike and Nancy Bubel. My aunt has a habit of buying books, not wanting to bother reading them, and telling me to read them for her. This was one of those. Quite a good book if one lives somewhere the ground freezes over winter, still a fun read though we don't.

Christmas books!

I do the book gifting (because I know what everyone wants!) so there were none for me. Middle Girl is at that age when they devour books at lightning speed and beg for more, so she really cleaned up.

Dh:

Wilkie Collins: A Rogue's Life; The Haunted Hotel

Nabokov: The Luzhin Defense

Great Girl:

Maria Montessori: The Montessori Method; Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook

Middle Girl:

J. Henri Fabre: The Insect World

Paul Gallico: The Abandoned

Leon Garfield: The Complete Bostock and Harris

Ottfried Preussler: Krabat & the Sorcerer's Mill

James Cloyd Bowman: Pecos Bill, The Greatest Cowboy of All Time

Gerald Durrell: Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons

T. S. Eliot: Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Wee Girl:

Paddington Marches On

Paddington Takes the Air

Paddington Abroad

Paddington Goes to Town

I finished what should be my second last book of the year, 'Root Cellaring' by Mike and Nancy Bubel. My aunt has a habit of buying books, not wanting to bother reading them, and telling me to read them for her. This was one of those. Quite a good book if one lives somewhere the ground freezes over winter, still a fun read though we don't.

Interesting book. :) The Bubels have a few good ones. I have that one and their Seed Starter's Handbook. It was intended for our latitudinal zone, but props to your aunt and yourself for buying/reading it. Quirky reading is the best. Weren't native Australians the first to bury or "cellar" their food? Sometimes it's just a matter of doing what works for your zone, even if the bloody Americans act like winter should have snow and ice. 

Christmas books!

I do the book gifting (because I know what everyone wants!) so there were none for me. Middle Girl is at that age when they devour books at lightning speed and beg for more, so she really cleaned up.

Dh:

Wilkie Collins: A Rogue's Life; The Haunted Hotel

Nabokov: The Luzhin Defense

Great Girl:

Maria Montessori: The Montessori Method; Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook

Middle Girl:

J. Henri Fabre: The Insect World

Paul Gallico: The Abandoned

Leon Garfield: The Complete Bostock and Harris

Ottfried Preussler: Krabat & the Sorcerer's Mill

James Cloyd Bowman: Pecos Bill, The Greatest Cowboy of All Time

Gerald Durrell: Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons

T. S. Eliot: Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Wee Girl:

Paddington Marches On

Paddington Takes the Air

Paddington Abroad

Paddington Goes to Town

Such fun choices. I added a few from here.

Isn't it fun to match books to people? My boys are so diverse, a book for one won't work for another. 

Mumto2, I'm sorry. 

After the norovirus spreading through my house like a flood from an erupted dam, I'm finally feeling almost completely human again. I still can't eat anything other than applesauce and pretzels. One of my sons is still sick, but hey, at least now I don't have to fanatically wipe everything with Lysol cause we've all had it now. I always try to find the silver lining.

I was too sick to read for a few days and then I read some book on Kindle that I didn't enjoy. Um, let me look it up cause I can't remember the title. Oh yeah, The Three Graces. Eh, just didn't feel it. Maybe it was because I was only semi-aware of anything due to being sick, but to me it was sloppy writing. Bad editing with quite a few grammatical errors. Sorry, but English aristocracy do not speak with incorrect grammar. There were spelling errors. The plot was lacking. None of the characters developed. The main character was too naive and simple.

I finished it because it was an easy read, but I gave it one star on Goodreads.

As for Christmas (which we postponed due to being so sick....and the kids did not complain but in fact were all in favor if that gives you an indication of how sick they were) I didn't get any books. As I posted before a bit ago, I never do. My family just doesn't gift books. I do. I think I already posted the books I gave to my kids.

So, I'm thinking maybe, as a little pick me up for having been so sick AND having to care for all my sick family, that I deserve to buy myself a book. Looking at my Amazon wishlist I can't decide. I need suggestions picking a book.   

Oh dear. Apologies to your older dd on my part. The main thing is y'all look lovely.

No apologies necessary!  :laugh:  She really does look young, and with a little sister who just keeps on growing, well, she's going to have to put up with it for quite a while I'm afraid.

Angel, the family photo is lovely. Finally opened this morning.

Thanks!  And  :grouphug:  to all your family!  I'm so sorry for your loss.

After the norovirus spreading through my house like a flood from an erupted dam, I'm finally feeling almost completely human again. I still can't eat anything other than applesauce and pretzels. One of my sons is still sick, but hey, at least now I don't have to fanatically wipe everything with Lysol cause we've all had it now. I always try to find the silver lining.

I was too sick to read for a few days and then I read some book on Kindle that I didn't enjoy. Um, let me look it up cause I can't remember the title. 

As for Christmas (which we postponed due to being so sick....and the kids did not complain but in fact were all in favor if that gives you an indication of how sick they were) I didn't get any books. As I posted before a bit ago, I never do. My family just doesn't gift books. I do. I think I already posted the books I gave to my kids.

So, I'm thinking maybe, as a little pick me up for having been so sick AND having to care for all my sick family, that I deserve to buy myself a book. Looking at my Amazon wishlist I can't decide. I need suggestions picking a book.   

:grouphug:  I hope that recovery goes quick for you all!  And I definitely think that you deserve a book!!

Last night we had the first snow of the year. Probably 5 inches in all. The shops were already closed in the village for Christmas but the snow made everything very quiet. Lots of snow shovelling. Potential for more tonight. yuck!

One good thing to come out of that last day is I have had it reaffirmed what a kind and responsible young man my son is. Since Dh and I are not bell ringers he is coordinating that side of the funeral arrangements. Action seems to be helping him.

I did actually finish a book during the night, Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs. It was enjoyable if you are a fan of the series but constantly discussed another book in the series. so not the best choice as a first in the series to read.

I just finished Moriah Densley's historical romance  Song for Sophia (A Rougemont Novel)  which I enjoyed.  This is the first book by this author that I've read, though I see she has several other historical romances as well as a contemporary novel in print.  I'd be happy to read more by this author.

2012 National Reader's Choice Award Winner
2012 Golden Heart Finalist

"To win a man's heart, a woman must have the mind of a diplomat, a general, and Cleopatra, all in one.

Desperation has led Anne-Sophia Duncombe to a life of exile. Still, she is always just one mistake away from capture and a marriage she would rather die than endure. As a last resort to remain hidden from her former life, Sophia attempts a radical scheme; a life of humility and disguise.

Rumor has it Wilhelm Montegue, the Earl of Devon, is insane. A tormented war hero haunted by scandal, he is only tolerated because of his brilliant mind and swarthy good looks. His unmentionable “condition,†which keeps him confined to his country home, is also the source of his talent for composing music.

When a new housemaid is hired at Rougemont, Lord Devon is perplexed to find himself fascinated by her. He knows the exquisite beauty is keeping secrets but her siren’s voice draws him ever closer, and he can’t resist the intoxicating scent of danger surrounding her."

There is a comprehensive review here.

Regards,

Kareni

Sitting here thinking about my inspirational read for 2015 and musing on the one year bible read I did this year. Mixed feeling to be honest because didn't really like the Old Testament. My dad once said he didn't like God in the Old Testament, but loved him in the New Testament. Having never fully read the old, I can now see what he means. Anecdotal - Dad had planned on being a priest until he reached his late teens and decided he liked sex. Tmi but grateful or I wouldn't be here. Anyway, it lead him to a lifetime of theological studies and fun and educational discussions with the family and our parish priests.  So for those who said their least favorite book of the year was the bible, I totally understand. 

So for 2015 I'm going to stick with the New Testament, plus I want to do a concentrated or Lectio divina of Luke. Has anyone ever read Michael Card's Biblical Imagination?  I'm considered getting his book on Luke. 

I usually don't get involved in other threads that could be considered controversial but had to stick my nose into The Misunderstood and Translated bible discussion.  50 lashes with a wet noodle for that as it was probably stupid.  However, the article mentioned was interesting and I like this quote at the end of the article.

"No. This examination is not an attack on the Bible or Christianity. Instead, Christians seeking greater understanding of their religion should view it as an attempt to save the Bible from the ignorance, hatred and bias that has been heaped upon it. If Christians truly want to treat the New Testament as the foundation of the religion, they have to know it. Too many of them seem to read John Grisham novels with greater care than they apply to the book they consider to be the most important document in the world."

Not even going to try to multiquote tonight. Hopefully on my way to a good nights sleep but want to send a couple of messages I forgot earlier.

Mom Ninja -- Glad everyone is on the mend at your house. You definitely deserve a new book for all the work you have done while ill. :grouphug:

Angel -- Great to be mistaken for your dd. You deserved it. Dd and I both did readings at arecent service wear head to toe black. Hairstyle that night similar. A somewhat blind friend asked dd why she had to read twice. I loved it but dd was a bit miffed, I weigh at least 50 pounds more than she does. Maybe the motivation for a super diet in the New Year.

Violet Crown, Just wanted to send hugs to you and Wee Girl. Hope all is well!

I am thoroughly enjoying I am Livia! The story moves along quickly with lots of interesting domestic details but what I'm most enjoying is the uniquely female lens, a wonderful counterpart to such a barbaric period of time. I'd like to read all afternoon but we are about to sit down to a family viewing of 'Willow' which ds got as a gift being just the kind of quest adventure he loves. Teapot is full, chocolate at the ready...

Our flight home was delayed 9 hours!!  Nine! But we didn't have it bad at all as we spent the extra time eating, drinking and laughing with family.  I really felt for the tourists who must have spent most of those hours at the airport after checking out of hotels and turning in rental cars.  The plane didn't take off til almost 2 in the morning and after shivering through the coldest flight in memory, we finally got home around 10 this morning.  I don't think any of us have warmed up since...

Mom Ninja -- worst Christmas ever with a family flu.  So very, very sorry!

Mum to 2, I'm sorry for the sudden loss and touched to hear about your boy's response.

Violet Crown -- how's Wee Girl doing?

May I bring back up Christmas Crackers again?  We had a new set of musical crackers this year that Mum to 2's family would love.  There was a set of 8 little handbells that make up a scale so we made music -- of a sort -- with those bells after dinner Christmas night while wearing our silly paper crowns.  And Rosie, my son laughed and laughed when I told him your comment that Australia not only got all the convicts but the dud crackers, too!  

We are having Christmas 2.0 next weekend when my oldest son finally has a couple of days off from work.  Working for the Mouse means working long hours during the holidays -- he put in a 13 hour day on Christmas Day.  But next weekend it's family time with more presents, roast beef, yorkshire pudding and Christmas Crackers.

As for books, I got a couple (so far -- my boys usually buy books for me).  One particularly fun title is cookbook based on all the meals depicted in The Master and Commander series called Lobscouse and Spotted Dog, and indeed there are recipes for Spotted Dog, Pigeon Pie, articles on how to "dress" turtle and properly make toasted cheese.  It even has music for some of the sea chanties and tunes mentioned in the novels.  

I also got a recent book on Hawaiian Quilting.

I've almost finished what I assume is the first in the Maisie Dobbs series, the book titled Maisie Dobbs, a very enjoyable read. 

Belated winter holiday wishes to my fellow BaWers! The last three books I read were

â–  Still Alice (Lisa Genova; 2009. 292 pages. Fiction.)
â–  Saga, Volume 4 (Brian K. Vaughan; 2014. 144 pages. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Charm & Strange (Stephanie Kuehn ; 2013. 224 pages. Fiction.)

This puts me at 103. Are we beginning the 2015 program tomorrow?

Jenn, got your postcard today! Thank you :D I wonder if it was in transit as you were? Hope you're warmed up and rested by now.

'Willow' was a big hit here with the battle-loving part of the family. And there were just enough strong female roles to keep things resonant for the feminine matrix ;)

Mom-Ninja :grouphug: hoping things are on the upswing for you all health-wise now.

Okay, back to my current book and after that Book of Ages for an IRL book club I'm thinking of participating in.

Belated winter holiday wishes to my fellow BaWers! The last three books I read were

â–  Still Alice (Lisa Genova; 2009. 292 pages. Fiction.)

â–  Saga, Volume 4 (Brian K. Vaughan; 2014. 144 pages. Graphic fiction.)

â–  Charm & Strange (Stephanie Kuehn ; 2013. 224 pages. Fiction.)

This puts me at 103. Are we beginning the 2015 program tomorrow?

Ack no. I'm not ready yet. You have til the 31st to finish off the years reading.

Figured we'd go with week one going from the 1st Thursday to the 10th. Last week of the year works out long enough for wraps.

mumto2,  :grouphug: I am so sorry.

My eldest is home ( :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: ) and we've been making the family rounds, and I have been too ashamed to dip into this thread because I am not ready to wrap it all up with a bow... 

... but tomorrow is another day; perhaps then.  Thank you, Robin, for giving us 'til the 31st (I'm afraid I'm a Just In Time kind of gal)... and thank you soooo much for hosting this marvelous space.

Sitting here thinking about my inspirational read for 2015 and musing on the one year bible read I did this year. Mixed feeling to be honest because didn't really like the Old Testament. My dad once said he didn't like God in the Old Testament, but loved him in the New Testament. Having never fully read the old, I can now see what he means. Anecdotal - Dad had planned on being a priest until he reached his late teens and decided he liked sex. Tmi but grateful or I wouldn't be here. Anyway, it lead him to a lifetime of theological studies and fun and educational discussions with the family and our parish priests.  So for those who said their least favorite book of the year was the bible, I totally understand. 

So for 2015 I'm going to stick with the New Testament, plus I want to do a concentrated or Lectio divina of Luke. Has anyone ever read Michael Card's Biblical Imagination?  I'm considered getting his book on Luke. 

I usually don't get involved in other threads that could be considered controversial but had to stick my nose into The Misunderstood and Translated bible discussion.  50 lashes with a wet noodle for that as it was probably stupid.  However, the article mentioned was interesting and I like this quote at the end of the article.

For what it's worth: My appreciation of the Old Testament increased significantly with the Jacob Wright Coursera course.  I've always struggled reading the Old Testament.

Today, we listened to "War With Troy: The Story of Achilles" from the University of Cambridge.  Despite being marketed for children, it is surprisingly racey and very gorey.  It's also very well done and I am thankful Santa thought to give it to me.  This version of the Iliad really emphasises how destructive pride and the pursuit of glory can be.

I am sorry Momto2.

Just discovered Kindle Daily deals has 6 Kristen Hannah books for 1.99 each.  I've read Night Road which was very poignant and sold me on her writing.  Purchased Winter Garden and True Colors.  Just couldn't resist.  Also have 5 military memoirs and contemporary romance series by Barbara Freethy. Decided to try out the first one in her Callaways series.

I think this is the third book I've commented on today -- can you tell I'm home alone?

I just finished Sandy Hall's A Little Something Different.  This was an entertaining young adult novel that is told from fourteen viewpoints including those of friends, a bus driver, a waitress, a barista, a squirrel, and a bench.  It read very quickly.

"...an irresistibly sweet romance between two college students told from 14 different viewpoints.

The creative writing teacher, the delivery guy, the local Starbucks baristas, his best friend, her roommate, and the squirrel in the park all have one thing in common—they believe that Gabe and Lea should get together.

Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the same places. Unfortunately, Lea is reserved, Gabe has issues, and despite their initial mutual crush, it looks like they are never going to work things out.

But somehow even when nothing is going on, something is happening between them, and everyone can see it. You'll be rooting for Gabe and Lea too..."

As a follow up to my most recent post about Fighting Redemption, I see that the author has a different one of her titles (that I haven't read) available free to Kindle readers.  That book is Kate McCarthy's Give Me Love.

"Book #1 in the Give Me series.

Evie Jamieson, a former wild child, is not only a headstrong, smart-mouthed trouble magnet, she is also a lead singer with a plan. That plan involves uprooting her band, including her two best friends guitarist Henry and band manager Mac, to Sydney to kick off their dreams of hitting the big time.

Jared Valentine is the older brother of Evie's best friend Mac and also the man determined to make Evie his. They strike up a long distance friendship which suits Evie because she's determined to avoid the distraction of love, not only because it doesn't fit in with her plan, but because twice in the past it has left her for dead. Moving to Sydney, however, has put her directly in Jared's path and he has decided it's the perfect opportunity to make his play.

Unfortunately Jared, co-owner in a business that 'consults' in dangerous hostage and kidnapping situations, makes an enemy who's determined to enact revenge. When his enemy puts Evie in his sights, Jared not only has a fight on his hands to make her his own, but also to keep her alive.

Is accepting the love he's so desperate to give worth the risk to both her heart, and her life?"

Regards,

Kareni

Haven't read pages 3 and 4 of this thread yet, but I think I'm ready to sum up my reading year.

• How many books did you read and did you meet your own personal goal?  I read 64 books this year which exceeds my goal. I don't really care if I fall short of 52, just want to keep reading. Female:Male authorship 37:26. Fiction:NF 53:11. 5 classics. Totally failed HOTAW and not feeling guilty at all!
  • Most thrilling, oh my goodness, I want to read it again, unputdownable book? Going to choose a series here, the one I just ended the year with and can't get out of my head, Andrea Höst's Touchstone series (Stray, Lab Rat One, Caszandra, Gratuitous Epilogue). Not going to pretend it's high literature--just an excellent story and characters, great love story included, and first books in awhile that so successfully pulled me out of the real world and into the world of the book. 
  • Top 5 favorite stories? Touchstone series, All the Light We Cannot See, The Fault in Our Stars, The Martian
  • Least favorite book? I could list several that didn't do much for me but will go with The Goldfinch since it had the lowest payoff per page (thanks to being way too long and not really fitting what I like in a book).
  • New author discovery?  New genre discovery? Several great new-to-me authors: Höst, Pratchett, Heyer, Walton. For genre, got totally sucked in by a SF series (Touchstone) which hasn't happened in a long time.
  • What countries or centuries did you explore?
  • Share a favorite character, story, quote or cover 
  • One book that touched you - made you laugh, cry, sing or dance.
  • Favorite mini challenges?
  • Are you ready to do it all over again? Absolutely
  • Do you have any goals to check out different genres or authors, read translated books or stories in another language for 2015?  I had been toying with trying a 5/5 challenge for next year, but the Touchstone series has changed my mind. I want to just read for the pleasure of reading. Probably need more fluff and YA books in my life. I don't want to be bogged down trying to read 5 books on tuberculosis instead of getting caught up in a feel-good romance. There are enough chores in real-life--I just want to read whatever strikes my fancy at the time. I'm happy with my mix of fiction/non-fiction, male/female authors, new/classics, etc, so I'll just keep reading good stuff I hear about here and elsewhere. That said, I do want to read some of the books I adopted from my mom's house after she died in 2007. Would generally like to get some "dusty" books read and passed on to the library book sale--make more room on my shelves!

We bombarded her with a slew of 99 cent Kindle books

Stray: Touchstone (Part 1) by Andrea K Höst  (this one is free on Kindle)  

Lab Rat One: Touchstone Part 2 by Andrea K Höst  

Caszandra: Touchstone by Andrea K Höst  

If she loves these, you will have to pony up another 99 cents for the Gratuitous Epilogue just to see what happens next for these characters!

Thinking this morning about this thread. I appreciate all the people who read and talk about fluff. I know there can be a strong pull to talk about only intellectual stuff or things everyone else is reading. Kudos to everyone who posts romance, chick lit, cozy mysteries, and paranormal, especially when no one else suggested or discusses it. 

If you enjoy urban fantasy, you might like the short novel that I read last night ~

Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles) by Ilona Andrews.

"On the outside, Dina Demille is the epitome of normal. She runs a quaint Victorian Bed and Breakfast in a small Texas town, owns a Shih Tzu named Beast, and is a perfect neighbor, whose biggest problem should be what to serve her guests for breakfast. But Dina is...different: Her broom is a deadly weapon; her Inn is magic and thinks for itself. Meant to be a lodging for otherworldly visitors, the only permanent guest is a retired Galactic aristocrat who can’t leave the grounds because she’s responsible for the deaths of millions and someone might shoot her on sight. Under the circumstances, "normal" is a bit of a stretch for Dina.

And now, something with wicked claws and deepwater teeth has begun to hunt at night....Feeling responsible for her neighbors, Dina decides to get involved. Before long, she has to juggle dealing with the annoyingly attractive, ex-military, new neighbor, Sean Evans—an alpha-strain werewolf—and the equally arresting cosmic vampire soldier, Arland, while trying to keep her inn and its guests safe. But the enemy she’s facing is unlike anything she’s ever encountered before. It’s smart, vicious, and lethal, and putting herself between this creature and her neighbors might just cost her everything."

It was a fun read with an interesting premise.  I look forward to the next in the series.

ETA: The second book is actually a work in progress whose chapters are being posted as completed on the authors' (there are two) website.  Readers are free to comment.  The link is here.

Regards,

Kareni

• How many books did you read and did you meet your own personal goal?   141 as of today...not sure I will hit my goal of 156 but that is ok

• Are you ready to do it all over again? YES!!! maybe I will make it longer than June with the thread this year

Do you have any goals to check out different genres or authors, read translated books or stories in another language for 2015?  I plan to try for 152 book again this year!