Menu

What's with the ads?

heartosunshine

Bullet Journals for 2015

Are there any changes you plan for your 2015 Bullet Journal? What has worked or not worked for 2014? Any questions for others?

(Related threads: Original, Updates, Tasks & design ideas)

Best for me:

• Medical Notes section -  At a recent appointment, I was able to go through the history of what we've tried, tests, etc. It was a huge help!
  • Dream Collage 2 page spread - Helps me visualize my long term goals especially when I get discouraged by the daily grind.
  • Record of events & conversations on the daily pages - I refer back to these often.
  • Vacation - Yes, I wrote in it on vacation! I recorded what we did, when, where, etc. Now, I'm making a photo book from vacation photos and have a reference and can add journaling to the photo pages.
  • Books I've read list - I'm an avid reader but have never kept track before. Love this!
  • I could go on & on. Obviously, I'm a fan of the bullet journal method!

Struggles for me:

• Monthly calendars - As a family, we use Google Calendar, a wall calendar (which will be obsolete at the end of this month), and the Bullet Journal calendar. Inevitably, things would get mixed up & I would have two different days/times for the same appointment, etc. Now, I just use Google Calendar and I think I'll keep it that way for 2015.

Questions:

• I'd love tips on overall organization. I'm thinking of having a section at the front or back just for the "Collections" rather than starting a page in the midst of my daily pages.
  • Anybody find a way to combine the GTD system with their bullet journal?
  • Like 2

Because I refer to previous pages so often, I decided not to start a new bullet journal until I've used up all the pages in the current one. I do want to start separating my daily home/personal items from my work ones instead of listing all daily items together. One thing I began doing recently is keeping a separate page to list items I have delegated to others or that I can't take any further action on until someone else does. I don't mind having collections in the middle of my daily pages. I just add the page number to my index, and if it's something I refer to frequently, I add a tab with washi tape.

• Like 1

Bullet Journal "Hits"

• I loved the size of my Moleskine. 
  • I loved the graph squares.
  • Loved the freedom of just writing on the next page
  • Love that each of the 3 kids had their own page so I could write down milestones (funny quotes, first lost tooth, first ER visit)

Misses:

• The lack of a gridded calendar did me in. At first I drew my own in, but then I found myself avoiding my journal for weeks at a time procrastinating creating my monthly calendar. So then I pasted one in, but it was only a 1 page & I hated having those pages glued in.
  • The index. I just didn't keep up with it. I did ok without it.

For 2015:

• I switched to a Staples Arc journal in junior size. I had an Etsy seller make gridded pages for me (she did an awesome job! Probably my best Etsy experience ever). She made 2 versions, one just plain grids & one with a spot for a title. I also purchased her monthly calendar (love that they start on Monday). The Arc journal is bulkier (I upgraded to 1.5" discs) and I'm trying to allow myself to get used to it. I think that I'm going to put the original discs back in to reduce bulk & that should fix it.
  • With the Arc I'll be able to rearrange pages, but I'll probably continue to just write on the next available page & then move it later. Maybe. There's probably a few things that will naturally get their own section; sewing projects is really the only thing that comes to mind. LOL
  • I'm going to include a gratitude journal of sorts. My goal is to list one thing a day that brings joy to my life. My word for 2015 is "Joy" and I hope to incorporate that in many ways.

I also have gridded cards from Project Life & I hole punched those & I'm going to use those for weekly to do lists or inspirational quotes.

Since I took this picture, the Etsy seller adjusted the grids to be lighter. :)

16013317351_6a6640a5f4.jpg

• Like 2

I've decided my journals will be used for six months, so two a year. I bought the Picadilly brand from B&N, so they're lined, not graphed, but that has worked well for the later half of 2014. 

I also found all my old journals in a box, so many systems. I have back to 2000 I think. So I like that this system will be more compact for storing. 

I'm not changing much, I need to set up my planner for January. I'm trying to be more aware of writing those random notes in the planner as I'll have some pages left over at the end of each term. 

I do need a medication tracker, not sure if I need to do that on a separate page. I'm on thyroid medication and I keep forgetting to take it, then some days I'm not sure, so something to checkoff would be good. 

I also need to find a place to keep it open on my desk. It just kind of randomly moves around and I'd like to have a dedicated space, but I don't want to take up much more room on my desk. 

• Like 3

Are there any changes you plan for your 2015 Bullet Journal? What has worked or not worked for 2014? Any questions for others?

(Related threads: Original, Updates, Tasks & design ideas)

Best for me:

• Medical Notes section -  At a recent appointment, I was able to go through the history of what we've tried, tests, etc. It was a huge help!
  • Dream Collage 2 page spread - Helps me visualize my long term goals especially when I get discouraged by the daily grind.
  • Record of events & conversations on the daily pages - I refer back to these often.
  • Vacation - Yes, I wrote in it on vacation! I recorded what we did, when, where, etc. Now, I'm making a photo book from vacation photos and have a reference and can add journaling to the photo pages.
  • Books I've read list - I'm an avid reader but have never kept track before. Love this!
  • I could go on & on. Obviously, I'm a fan of the bullet journal method!

Struggles for me:

• Monthly calendars - As a family, we use Google Calendar, a wall calendar (which will be obsolete at the end of this month), and the Bullet Journal calendar. Inevitably, things would get mixed up & I would have two different days/times for the same appointment, etc. Now, I just use Google Calendar and I think I'll keep it that way for 2015.

Questions:

• I'd love tips on overall organization. I'm thinking of having a section at the front or back just for the "Collections" rather than starting a page in the midst of my daily pages.
  • Anybody find a way to combine the GTD system with their bullet journal?

I love your idea for keeping a list of books you've read.  I'm adding that for my 2015 Bullet Journal.  Thanks!  I had also started writing a "Today's News" tidbit every day (not the atrocious headlines of the news but rather fun, human interest stories or 'In Memory' type notes).  I got away from doing that, but I'd like to start it again.  I also got away from recording my daily water intake (largely because I stopped intaking daily water; LOL), but I'm going to put that back in, too.

I'm not changing too much with mine.  I did find that I'm not using the index at all, and I'm also not using the year calendar that I wrote in at the beginning for future planning.  I found that instead, I just write a new appointment on the current day and then add it to my computer calendar when I get home.

Overall, I still absolutely love my Bullet Journal.  I carry it with me almost everywhere, and I enjoy looking back through it at quotes I've noted, pictures I've printed and glued in.  It's a record record of my every day life in 2014.

• Like 2

I also need to find a place to keep it open on my desk. It just kind of randomly moves around and I'd like to have a dedicated space, but I don't want to take up much more room on my desk. 

I carry mine around the house with my like I do my cell phone.  When I'm working, it's in the office on my desk under my cell phone.  When work is done, it comes out to the living room with me and lives on the end table under my cell phone.  At bedtime, it comes upstairs to sleep on my night stand.... you guessed it.... under my cell phone. :D

• Like 3

I do need a medication tracker, not sure if I need to do that on a separate page. I'm on thyroid medication and I keep forgetting to take it, then some days I'm not sure, so something to checkoff would be good. 

I take medication 4 times a day and lately I have been forgetting to take at least one dose, sometimes even the first thing in the morning dose which is the most important for me. So I added taking medication to my to-do list. It just states "meds" with "o AM o L o D o PM" and then I fill in the circles as I take each dose. It has made a world of difference.

• Like 4

I don't go year by year, but rather month by month, and start a new one when I fill the old one.  I started my 2nd in November.  I still love using it, though sometimes I do misplace it or neglect it, and then I suffer mightily.

Re: medical stuff - I have a separate notebook for each of my kids and myself.  My kids' were started when I started OB appointments!  In one place is their lifetime (so far) medical record of doctors, appointments, shots, etc.  It goes to every appointment with me.   I find this much more useful than mixing it in with my "regular" notebooks - everything is in one place, easy to find.    YMMV on that of course.   

• Like 2

Because I refer to previous pages so often, I decided not to start a new bullet journal until I've used up all the pages in the current one. I do want to start separating my daily home/personal items from my work ones instead of listing all daily items together. One thing I began doing recently is keeping a separate page to list items I have delegated to others or that I can't take any further action on until someone else does. I don't mind having collections in the middle of my daily pages. I just add the page number to my index, and if it's something I refer to frequently, I add a tab with washi tape.

I'm going to add a delegated page. Great idea!

I take medication 4 times a day and lately I have been forgetting to take at least one dose, sometimes even the first thing in the morning dose which is the most important for me. So I added taking medication to my to-do list. It just states "meds" with "o AM o L o D o PM" and then I fill in the circles as I take each dose. It has made a world of difference.

I take medication 3 times a day & have for years now. You'd think I wouldn't forget but I do. Great idea!

I don't go year by year, but rather month by month, and start a new one when I fill the old one.  I started my 2nd in November.  I still love using it, though sometimes I do misplace it or neglect it, and then I suffer mightily.

Re: medical stuff - I have a separate notebook for each of my kids and myself.  My kids' were started when I started OB appointments!  In one place is their lifetime (so far) medical record of doctors, appointments, shots, etc.  It goes to every appointment with me.   I find this much more useful than mixing it in with my "regular" notebooks - everything is in one place, easy to find.    YMMV on that of course.   

This is brilliant! I so wish I would have done this. My kids are teens now but it still may be worth going back through the records & writing it all in one place. We've moved, changed doctors multiple times, etc, so records are a bit scattered.

• Like 1

I don't go year by year, but rather month by month, and start a new one when I fill the old one. I started my 2nd in November. I still love using it, though sometimes I do misplace it or neglect it, and then I suffer mightily.

Re: medical stuff - I have a separate notebook for each of my kids and myself. My kids' were started when I started OB appointments! In one place is their lifetime (so far) medical record of doctors, appointments, shots, etc. It goes to every appointment with me. I find this much more useful than mixing it in with my "regular" notebooks - everything is in one place, easy to find. YMMV on that of course.

The medical notebook is totally brilliant! This idea, along with a notebook, should be given to every new mom to be.

• Like 2

I haven't done the bullet journal before (and not sure if I will because I have a personal calendar I love), but I found this on amazon and thought it would be perfect:  http://www.amazon.com/Computation-Inches-Double-Numbered-Quadrille/dp/B000F78JLU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1419253899&sr=8-9&keywords=spiral+quadrille+notebook It's spiral and the pages are numbered.  ETA:  (Ouch!  It is pricey!)

• Like 2

I always have trouble deciding what to do on the very first page of my bullet journal.  It doesn't quite lay flat, so I don't like to really "start" my journal there.  So this year, I decided to dedicate that page to my Word of the Year (from this thread), which is "perseverance."  Then I found some inspirational quotes and added a few decorative touches.  I'd post a picture if I could, but I really like how it turned out!

ETA: I got the picture to attach!  Now hopefully it's still big enough to see clearly. :D

post-18266-0-17014600-1419627098_thumb.jpg

post-18266-0-17014600-1419627098_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

My very favorite Christmas gift this year was a new moleskine journal with some washi tape for decorating. I am a brand new bullet journal-er (not a word, I know) and I'm so excited to get started. But also nervous about messing up. I would love to hear more about how others set their journals up. Any fun tweaks? I love the word of the year idea...thinking about borrowing that one!

I would also love to think through how to use my bullet journal for Bible study. Any thoughts?

• Like 2

My very favorite Christmas gift this year was a new moleskine journal with some washi tape for decorating. I am a brand new bullet journal-er (not a word, I know) and I'm so excited to get started. But also nervous about messing up. I would love to hear more about how others set their journals up. Any fun tweaks? I love the word of the year idea...thinking about borrowing that one!

I would also love to think through how to use my bullet journal for Bible study. Any thoughts?

There's lots of info and suggestions and ideas online.  If you're on Pinterest, you can search there and come up with tons of stuff.  There's also a Google+ community here, and there's a Facebook group, too, called Bullet Journal Junkies.  Lots of great ideas out there.  Have fun with it!

• Like 3

There's lots of info and suggestions and ideas online. If you're on Pinterest, you can search there and come up with tons of stuff. There's also a Google+ community here, and there's a Facebook group, too, called Bullet Journal Junkies. Lots of great ideas out there. Have fun with it!

Thanks! I requested to join the facebook group and I've also started searching pinterest a bit. Nothing like a fresh, new notebook, right? :D

• Like 2

I slacked off on using mine lately and have suffered for it. One thing I'm going to do, while it is still fresh in my memory, is make a list of things I wish I had done earlier in the holiday season. Nothing like realizing it's three days before Christmas and you don't know what you're having for dinner or remembering that crazy cousin you forgot to buy a gift for, etc. I'm planning on using the same journal I started with this year and when it is finished I will get a new one.

• Like 2

Thanks! I requested to join the facebook group and I've also started searching pinterest a bit. Nothing like a fresh, new notebook, right? :D

Definitely!  I've been setting mine up over the last few days.  So far I have my Word of the Year 2015 page, two 2-page year calendar spreads that list holidays and birthdays and will help with future planning when necessary, a lunar calendar page, a page for the 52- week savings plan, and a 2-page spread for books I read.  I love it!  Yay!

• Like 3

I had a table of contents , three kinths with a monthly tondo page then weeks on a 2 page layout followed by another monthly to do

A section for homeschool (just a page for each kid and a few blanks to jot down ideas/changes

A section for work (upcoming professional conferneces, ideas etc, and a section for creative ( which is filled with projects to work in, sewing skills to conquer, measurements etc

I did have lots of unused pages mostly in work and homeschool that I think I could cut out and out four months in each moleskin

• Like 2

I've added a section for "new words" to mine. While reading on my Kindle, I can just press any word I don't know and get the definition, but obviously that's not possible while reading real books (even though I've tried). There is no way I'm getting up to go track down the meaning of a word so I've started jotting it down in my bullet journal along with the page number so the next time I'm on my computer I can look it up and reread that part in my book to see how it fits. I do write the definition down in my journal too after I've looked it up because I thought it'd be fun to look back over the year to see what words stumped me.

• Like 7

I think this will be my next bullet journal, though I'm wondering if it might be a little too big. I wish I could find something similar with pages already numbered that's as portable as the one I'm using now.

• Like 2

I used a lined one, which I really regret.

I also slacked on using it, I couldn't seem to remember to write in it. 

I think I'll give it a go again. 

• Like 2

I think this will be my next bullet journal, though I'm wondering if it might be a little too big. I wish I could find something similar with pages already numbered that's as portable as the one I'm using now.

That looks great!! I'm hoping it's the same size as my current journal. (I'm too lazy to go measure at the moment.)

Eta: bummer, too big for my purse...sigh...

• Like 2

You might be interested in these Conceptum journals by Sigel.  There seem to be a lot of options to select, but they do have numbered pages and both front and back pockets.

• Like 3

I LOVE using my bullet journal!  I recently wrote about how we are using it for our homeschool, including how I digitally archive & search my journal.

Bonus: the photos of my pages aren't all fancy & pretty, so you will feel better about your journal.

• Like 7

I LOVE using my bullet journal!  I recently wrote about how we are using it for our homeschool, including how I digitally archive & search my journal.

Bonus: the photos of my pages aren't all fancy & pretty, so you will feel better about your journal.

I love this!

I know what I'm spending my amazon gift card on!

• Like 4

I LOVE using my bullet journal! I recently wrote about how we are using it for our homeschool, including how I digitally archive & search my journal.

Great ideas! I enjoy seeing how other people customize the bullet journal system. Do you need to do anything special to file your notes electronically on Evernote?
  • Like 1

Great ideas! I enjoy seeing how other people customize the bullet journal system. Do you need to do anything special to file your notes electronically on Evernote?

Nope, nothing special.

Snap a photo (or scan the page to JPG) and attach it to a note.  Usually I just click the share button on the photo and e-mail it to my Evernote account.  Wait a bit if you don't see it immediately in Evernote.  Sometimes there is a lag, with the searchability feature, especially if you aren't a priority member (or whatever Evernote calls their premium membership now)

Make sure you use lightly lined or dotted paper so that your handwriting is easier to read. 

Don't expect absolute accuracy.  Handwriting has a lot of variables.  I've found that it works really well for me though.

• Like 2

There's lots of info and suggestions and ideas online.  If you're on Pinterest, you can search there and come up with tons of stuff.  There's also a Google+ community here, and there's a Facebook group, too, called Bullet Journal Junkies.  Lots of great ideas out there.  Have fun with it!

Thanks for those resources! I've already found several good ideas to incorporate from the Bullet Journal Junkies group.

Browsing all the photos is inspiring, but I think it can be a potential pitfall for those who are just beginning or considering starting a bullet journal. It's easy to get bogged down by all the creative, artistic, Pinterest-type bullet journal examples you can find online and feel pressured to make your journal picture perfect. Mine is a complete mess in places. How I track information isn't consistent throughout because I try new ideas as I go, and there is some trial and error involved in finding what works best for me. It's messy and even sloppy at times and will never be as artistic and beautifully designed as many other bullet journal pages I've seen, but it's also been the most useful organizational system I've discovered this year. 

• Like 4

The lack of full-year calendar also messed with me for loving the bullet journal.  I'm now using:

- the M.O.M. organization system- this is a GTD organiation system specific to moms/family life. 

- moleskine planner- this has a one week spread on the left (Monday start day- yes!) and a blank lined page on the right for my "immediate next actions" list (a.k.a. To Do list).  Tucked into that, I have a blank moleskine that will hold everything that is not an immediate to-do or time-sensitive item.  So, my project planning, notes, journaling... everything else that would be in a bullet journal. 

• Like 1

I'm going to add a spread like this for my full year/future dates tracking for the coming year but will probably make it four pages so there's more room in each month to jot things down.

• Like 1

I used something like this for both of

I'm going to add a spread like this for my full year/future dates tracking for the coming year but will probably make it four pages so there's more room in each month to jot things down.

I mostly need the year at a glance to see what days of the week certain dates are.  I can probably find one to print out and tape into my journal.

I used something like this for both of these purposes.

• Like 3

I have been working on putting mine together and can't wait to start using it.  I have a page for books to read along with movies I want to see.  I also have pages for quotes because I am a quote junkie, internet passwords, blog post ideas, craft and meal ideas, prayer requests, year at a glance calendar I taped in.

• Like 1

I have been using a Bullet Journal since August. What I like most is that it changes as my need for it changes. I started with 2 pages set aside for a Table of Contents and numbered the pages. After that I added pages as I needed, starting on the next available page and logging it in the TOC. I have tried several daily page formats. I am currently using a page per week grided into 8 spaces with one dedicated to each day and one for my weekly To-Do list. As I use my Bullet Journal for work, I have pages set aside for my various project and sub-categories of the projects. I also have pages for my various task forces.

I recommend that you not spend too much time creating your Bullet Journal but let it evolve with you.

Sarah

• Like 8

What washi tape did you order?  I'm on the look out for some cute animal/forest type stuff.

I got this set.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F41G2KW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really want a black and white set too, but I have to spread out my washi purchases.

I got my book and tape today!  Now I need new pens.  What does everyone use?

• Like 2

I got a couple of three-packs of washi tape on sale for $3.50 at Hobby Lobby. I've seen some at Target and Walgreens too. I usually use Pilot G2s and recently tried and liked a Uniball Jetstream.

• Like 1

I'm a pen junkie, so I'm always looking for my new favorite pen. Right now, the best ones I've found for my bullet journal are Pigma Micron 05, Papermate Flair Ultrafine, and the Pilot G2.

• Like 1

Where does everyone put their collections?  In my last bullet journal I saved pages at the beginning of the book, but I forgot this time. :cursing:  

Do you just stick them in in between daily task lists?

ETA:  I decided to just start them in the middle of the book.  I'm thinking I'll just start a new book every 6 months.

I got this set.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F41G2KW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really want a black and white set too, but I have to spread out my washi purchases.

I got my book and tape today!  Now I need new pens.  What does everyone use?

I prefer my Sharpie pens and Pigma Microns. :)

• Like 1

Where does everyone put their collections?  In my last bullet journal I saved pages at the beginning of the book, but I forgot this time. :cursing:  

Do you just stick them in in between daily task lists?

I add them as needed in the middle of my daily pages, then add an entry to my index. If it's a collection I refer to often, I also add a tab with washi tape.

• Like 2