Menu

"Nerd" themed stocking stuffers for my husband?

Jenny in Florida

(Quick background: Because I'm crazy and didn't foresee the burden this "cute" idea would become, I started theming the contents of the family's stockings when our daughter was little. Now, it's tradition, and, as is always true, my husband has uppped the ante to a degree that has turned this "cute" idea into something I dread each year.)

Yes, I've once again left this task until the last moment. As always, I waited, hoping inspiration would strike, then ended up running out and trudging through stores desperate for ideas. The one mandatory item that must be in stockings (a hold-over from my husband's family) is a pair of silly socks, which now, of course, must relate to the theme.

During a frantic Target trip a couple of days ago, I bought a pair of socks that say "nerd" on them. Hence, a theme was born. I bought a t-shirt that loosely goes with the theme, also. And I got to Whole Foods today and bought some ginger candies. However, we have fairly large stockings, and, as I mentioned, stockings became a much more elaborate affair once my husband got involved. 

So, I now have from now until Christmas eve to think of, find and purchase a few more stocking-stuffer-sized gifts that play off the nerd theme. I'd like to spend less than $40-ish on this project.

Anyone want to help me brainstorm?

Barnes and Noble had stocking sized logic puzzles which I think would fit the theme considering the deadline.

I've been called nerdy for enjoying the following items, it might be stretching but you are down to the wire!

Sudoku book plus pen or crossword book?

a game like Set? 

a book of grid based logic puzzles

Character themed boxer shorts.  I bet you could find something at Target.  I am positive I saw Mario Brother's boxers at our Target recently.

Try the book store. They have tables of Dr. Who, Hobbit, and Game of Thrones merchandise. This is where we purchased DSs Periodic Table of Minecraft t-shirt.

Part of my challenge is that he isn't into any particular nerd-dom at the moment. He's not a Whovian, actively dislikes the Hobbit movies and already owns every book Tolkien published, doesn't watch any especially nerdy current TV shows (and we cut off our cable a few weeks ago, anyway) and hasn't been playing any particular video or computer games. He's definitely nerdy, but is in something of a latent phase, I guess.

pocket protector

some pens to go in the pocket protector

reading glasses with black frames

Nerds candies

bow tie

I do like the bow tie idea!

Yes, a BIG box of Nerd candies. I like the other ideas above as well.

He's not a big candy eater, and no one else in the house eats refined sugar unless we can be sure the source is vegan. So, I hesitate to buy something I know will go to waste. Cute idea, though!

Cartoon or holiday themed boxer shorts

Wind-up flashlight

Head-lamp

Computer/small electronics tool set

Computer/small electronics cleaning kit

I-tunes card

New cover for phone or I-pad

Phone charger for car or emergency phone charger

Ear buds

Slinky

Silly Putty

Rolls of Duct and Electrical tape

Magazine, single copy or subscription

Educational placemat

Oohh, that headlamp is a majorly nerdy great idea. And so useful! :lol:

Love it.

(Nothing wrong with being a nerd, in my book.)

OH--get some long, white, cotton athletic socks to wear with dress clothes, and a pair of black socks he can wear with sandels!

BOOM! Nailed the sock thingy! :hurray:  

:lol:

Get him what you want and what he'll like. You are not obligated to stick to a theme. No, really!

Umm, no, really, I am. This family is BIG on tradition, It's important.

I think it has to do in part with the fact that neither my husband nor I have much in the way of extended family or roots. We set out when the kids were little to create traditions that would help them feel less isolated and drifting as we did. It worked, which is lovely. But it does mean that we really do have to honor those traditions and take them seriously.

Of course, the other issue is that he's just pretty much impossible to buy for, anyway. So, it's not like I have a wealth of ideas that would work but don't fit the theme.

Umm, no, really, I am. This family is BIG on tradition, It's important.

I think it has to do in part with the fact that neither my husband nor I have much in the way of extended family or roots. We set out when the kids were little to create traditions that would help them feel less isolated and drifting as we did. It worked, which is lovely. But it does mean that we really do have to honor those traditions and take them seriously.

Of course, the other issue is that he's just pretty much impossible to buy for, anyway. So, it's not like I have a wealth of ideas that would work but don't fit the theme.

Do traditions have to be all or nothing, though? Does every single item in the stocking have to relate to a theme for it to count as honoring the tradition? 

I think you could make just about anything fit the nerd theme. There are book nerds, comic nerds, sci-fi nerds, movie nerds, computer nerds, word nerds (;)), music nerds. 

Now I kinda want this stocking for myself and I don't even self-identify as super nerdy. I LOVE when there's a science magazine among all the Redbooks at the doctor's office.

You need this slide rule:

http://www.amazon.com/INCRA-TINYT03-Precision-T-Rule-3-Inch/dp/B002GU68LM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1419189005&sr=8-8&keywords=slide+rule