Menu

Do you give reps to people you disagree with?

Really?! Seems like I'm in time out (*smile*) all the time. I guess I'm just not discriminating enough when it comes to sharing the love.

Yeah, it's something I need to work on because I truly do appreciate people more than I'm repping. I guess because I'm not repped a ton, I don't think about repping a ton. I see people with 1200 posts with 5 squares. They probably GIVE more rep too.

The thing that is hard for me is that I get knocked down often when I try to rep with the thing saying I can't rep that person again yet. How flusterating!

Yes. I have given out quite a bit of rep to people whose opinions I respect but don't agree with. It's all in the way that they say it. :001_smile:

I know, right?? Just the other day someone was singing the praises of Russell Crowe, and I repped her anyway! ;) Even foolish people need love. :D:lol:

I stated my opinion. It just IS my opinion. I appreciate those who explained themselves, but I have NO use for those who simply neg rep instead of explaining themselves.

Maybe those who neg rep for disagreeing would like to explain WHY they do it anon instead of just hiding behind the ability to do so. In fact, they could STILL hide on the next neg rep they gave out. No one would know which neg repper it was! And any of us are plenty smart enough to know that if only one is brave enough to be honest that they aren't the only neg repper. You don't have to fear that every neg rep from now on will be attributed to you.

Ahhh, but here's the thing. The admins know who gives out the negative rep. Big brother and all that. Someone always knows when you negative rep someone and now, with the possibility of being banned, everyone should be careful. :001_smile:

If you don't know what I am talking about, go and read the "Political Threads" sticky at the top of the page.

I am a bit mystified about rep points. Yes, I have searched it and read the sticky. I wonder, do people give rep points only because they agree with what the poster said or is it based on the contribution to the discussion. Say if I completely disagreed with you, yet I found your post well-reasoned, calm, patient and thorough - not just a one-liner about what you feel - I would consider repping you because you enlightened me on your view. I just cannot figure it out.

Michele

I have given rep to people I fundamentally disagree with, but, their arguments were so well-thought out and documented I repped them for their thoughts.

I think these boards are a lot like life. While I might vehemently disagree with someone on one point or issue, I come to find that on another issue I am in total agreement. That's why I get so frustrated when I see things like religion, politics, race, and sexual orientation totally dividing people- I think we have so much to learn from each other and when it cones down to brass tacks there is always a common ground that can be reached. I might not agree with your POV and you might not agree with mine, but in the end we are still colleagues.

I think it is very important as homeschoolers, to further our cause and continue to gain respect in the general population, that we portray ourselves as not only a diverse group, but a diverse group that can use open-mindedness, clear thinking, and compassion to show that we really ARE above the bureaucracy and in the box mentality of the Dept. of Education.

Not only do I rep people I disagree with on these boards, but some of my best friends IRL are people I disagree with. Even in my marriage- my husband and I are total opposites in some areas, and our dinner table often sounds like a bad talk show (lol) but we like it that way around here, it makes things interesting and keeps us learning and thirsting for knowledge every day.

Yes, I've definitely given positive reps. to people I disagree with. Even though some may be coming from the opposite political or religious persuasion than I do, there are so many on these boards who have well thought-out arguments, or give so much great information, or have such a gracious manner about them, that I have to give them positive rep. I've never done the other---I disagree with it and would rather air any disagreements in private! :)

he was awesome in that movie!

Master and Commander is the only movie I have ever seen with Russell Crowe. I know..I live under a rock. I am a major fan of the books' date=' and he made a GREAT Jack Aubrey. Even with the bleached hair, he was just perfect.[/quote']

No, I haven't, but I'll netflix it!

Okay, now you guys are just fishing for my disagreement rep. :glare:

:lol::lol::lol:

Ahhh, but here's the thing. The admins know who gives out the negative rep. Big brother and all that.

I am glad to hear this Elaine. I think it would be a great way for a troll to go about creating chaos, negative repping in someone else's name. I thought of that last night when I saw a few trollish posts about boots. Anyhoo....it all makes me not want to post at all, kwim. Then I just feel like a lurker with no life. Can't win either way!?! :confused:

However, I have found that I win just by being here regardless of the rules. It makes me a stronger homeschooler and the reps are just an aside. Oh now, there I go just thinking aloud to myself......:tongue_smilie:

Back to your discussion...:001_smile:

You know, I have never given negative rep, but if you believe that he was not simply amazing in A Beautiful Mind, than I just might be tempted to try it once!

And if you haven't seen A Beautiful Mind......well, I guess I will cut you some slack. But any WTMer that wants to broaden their perspectives and see different POV.....it's an eye opener.

As for the OP......yes.

I am a bit mystified about rep points. Yes, I have searched it and read the sticky. I wonder, do people give rep points only because they agree with what the poster said or is it based on the contribution to the discussion. Say if I completely disagreed with you, yet I found your post well-reasoned, calm, patient and thorough - not just a one-liner about what you feel - I would consider repping you because you enlightened me on your view. I just cannot figure it out.

Michele

Yes, I do that sometimes. I also give rep to people with whom I disagree if I think they've expressed themselves well or if they've done something that makes the board a better place.

And I generally withhold rep if people make a point of saying "I don't care about rep and I never even check it." I figure that if they don't care, why should I bother. There are plenty of other people who would love a little rep, and since we only have so much to give in a day... ;)

There are some people on here that I don't agree with, but have such strong analytical minds that I can't help but rep them for their profoundness. (Is that a word :confused:)

Profundity. ;) (Forgive me if someone else already said this. I won't have time to go through the whole thread tonight. :001_smile:)

You know, I have never given negative rep, but if you believe that he was not simply amazing in A Beautiful Mind, than I just might be tempted to try it once!

And if you haven't seen A Beautiful Mind......well, I guess I will cut you some slack. But any WTMer that wants to broaden their perspectives and see different POV.....it's an eye opener.

That's the one and only movie of his that I've been forever curious to see. In fact, I've purposely only seen one movie he's been in, but I must admit I disliked him much less than I thought I would. So I've allowed myself to think that maybe, just maybe, I could watch A Beautiful Mind.

If only his eyes weren't so contemptuous.

I give rep - positive only - for posts that I disagree with if the information is presented in a sincere or thought-provoking manner (tone).

I love to read threads/posts that take me out of my comfort zone and will give rep to those that make me think....even if I don't particularly care for *what* they make me think...KWIM?:)

Michele B - I've given you rep because you're my friend, not necessarily because of anything particularly enlightening that you've posted; you usually tell me your thoughts on something before you have the opportunity to post, or if you have posted something insightful, you've probably already told me about it before I have the opportunity to read the boards.

I think you are one of the brightest, most intelligent women I know of around here - and, as you know, those are few and far between where we live! :001_smile:

BTW, I probably can't give you any more rep - I've got to spread the love!

Kelli mentioned elsewhere in this thread that she's issued anonymous negative rep in response to what she considers personal attacks or unbelievable rudeness. Do you have no respect for her, knowing that? Or how do you reconcile her comment with yours here?

Kelli is excused because her ANR is given for rude remarks..........or people just trying to cause trouble. Folks who have a misplaced corncob.