Menu

Do you give reps to people you disagree with?

I am a bit mystified about rep points. Yes, I have searched it and read the sticky. I wonder, do people give rep points only because they agree with what the poster said or is it based on the contribution to the discussion. Say if I completely disagreed with you, yet I found your post well-reasoned, calm, patient and thorough - not just a one-liner about what you feel - I would consider repping you because you enlightened me on your view. I just cannot figure it out.

Michele

I rep. if the poster has obviously taken a lot of time to write a thoughtful/helpful post.

Also for folks having a real bad day since I can not send chocolate through the internet.

Only gave out one neg. rep. in my life so far - can't remember why!

There are some people on here that I don't agree with, but have such strong analytical minds that I can't help but rep them for their profoundness. (Is that a word :confused:)

Say if I completely disagreed with you, yet I found your post well-reasoned, calm, patient and thorough - not just a one-liner about what you feel - I would consider repping you because you enlightened me on your view. I just cannot figure it out.

I have positively repped people in this regard before.

I have never given negative rep.

I actually have given reps (positive) even when I disagree because the person presented a thoughtful argument and/or facts and evidence to support their point.
Me too.

Yes. I have given out quite a bit of rep to people whose opinions I respect but don't agree with. It's all in the way that they say it. :001_smile:

Agreed! I make an effort to give out as much of my rep allowance per day as I'm able and, often, it will go to someone who I may disagree with but still respect.:)

I am a bit mystified about rep points. Yes, I have searched it and read the sticky. I wonder, do people give rep points only because they agree with what the poster said or is it based on the contribution to the discussion. Say if I completely disagreed with you, yet I found your post well-reasoned, calm, patient and thorough - not just a one-liner about what you feel - I would consider repping you because you enlightened me on your view. I just cannot figure it out.

Michele

I started doing this after received a rep like it. It made me feel good that the person I was debating harbor no hard feelings and that she thought I made a valid point.

I have given positive reps even when I disagree with the poster if I think what they said came across in a well thought out way. I have only ever given 1 neg rep and it wasn't because what the poster said I disagreed with, but the rude and insensitive way the poster presented herself.

Many, many, many times.

I appreciate a well thought out, well formed argument even when I vehemently disagree with the conclusion! I like vigorous debate. It stretches my brain. (I need all the help I can get with that)

:iagree:

I haven't given any negative reps because I have decided to follow the "If you can't say anything positive then don't say anything at all" when it comes to reps.

I've given quite a few reps to folks here for posts I did not agree with on the "issue", when the opposing position was well stated and thoughtful.

And I have also been reped on many on many occasions by people who stated they disagreed with me but appreciated the way I made my point, and those reps I've got a special fondness for, if truth be told.

Bill

Typically, I rep those I agree with in one way or another. If it was just a small (but profound) part of their post, I point that out. If I am more iffy about it, I won't sign my name. I usually do sign my name though.

I might consider repping someone for enlightenment, but I would definitely state that that was the reason.

I have given neg rep once....to someone that spammed the board recently....as if they cared <sigh>

I would NEVER give neg rep just because I disagreed with someone, no matter HOW strongly. And I hate it when people are too chicken to post their thoughts to the thread but have no problem bashing you in a neg rep. Of course, they never sign it @@

I have NO respect for neg reppers. I MIGHT have SOME respect for one that signed their name, but I have a hard time believing that will ever happen.

I also wish there was no such thing as neg reps.

:iagree:

I haven't given any negative reps because I have decided to follow the "If you can't say anything positive then don't say anything at all" when it comes to reps.

Lest I mislead you .......I do give negative rep and I do it anonymously. It is rare and it is for people who attack other people or who are so unbelievably rude that I just feel like someone has to say something. I don't give negative rep for people's opinions, just for rude behavior (name calling, insults, stuff like that).

I think a lot of people do it and don't admit it. I just prefer to be upfront and honest about it.

I've given quite a few reps to folks here for posts I did not agree with on the "issue", when the opposing position was well stated and thoughtful.

And I have also been reped on many on many occasions by people who stated they disagreed with me but appreciated the way I made my point, and those reps I've got a special fondness for, if truth be told.

Bill

Oh, I know what you mean. The rep points are nice and all, but the comments are priceless.

Lest I mislead you .......I do give negative rep and I do it anonymously. It is rare and it is for people who attack other people or who are so unbelievably rude that I just feel like someone has to say something. I don't give negative rep for people's opinions, just for rude behavior (name calling, insults, stuff like that).

I think a lot of people do it and don't admit it. I just prefer to be upfront and honest about it.

:iagree: I do too and for the reasons you have stated as well, and THANK YOU Kelli for standing up and saying it! :)

I would rep ya if I could but I must have already repped you recently, positive of course! ;)

I do. I have often given rep to people I do not agree with. I think the diversity here is a wonderful part of the board's strength. I do not give rep. positive or negative to people that are harsh or unkind in their responses. I just mentally ignore them. I'm sure I am not alone in this response.

but why do it anonymously?

absolutely!

I have given and received reps to and from people I vehemently disagree with on a regular basis ;)

I don't think I've ever given a negative rep --I prefer to drag them into the light and address them publicly. I've only got a limited amount of rep --I'd rather it go for positive purposes.

and Spy Car and Kelli are right --those comments are the BEST! I wish it would save more than the last 5......

I don't mind the negative rep feature. i do find that the negative reps that are signed mean more. The ones that aren't signed are usually mixed in between the other positive reps for the exact same post, lol.

i tend to try to rep 3 categories:

1. posters w/ lower rep points;

2. posters i agree with and like to encourage them to continue that course of discussion; and

3. posters that i LOVE debating with :D

I have NO respect for neg reppers. I MIGHT have SOME respect for one that signed their name

Kelli mentioned elsewhere in this thread that she's issued anonymous negative rep in response to what she considers personal attacks or unbelievable rudeness. Do you have no respect for her, knowing that? Or how do you reconcile her comment with yours here?

I don't think I've ever given a negative rep --I prefer to drag them into the light and address them publicly.

I WISH everyone felt like you. I guess some people are too chicken. (btw, that is about as close to insulting as I'd ever do...if you ever see anything directed towards a person; *I* didn't write the post!).

Kelli mentioned elsewhere in this thread that she's issued anonymous negative rep in response to what she considers personal attacks or unbelievable rudeness. Do you have no respect for her, knowing that? Or how do you reconcile her comment with yours here?

I have less respect for her knowing that.

If you give neg rep, you should sign it. Anybody who gives me neg rep and doesn't sign, I completely disregard and think that I said something right. :tongue_smilie:

but why do it anonymously?

One time someone on these boards sent a private message to another poster, sort of picking at her. When poster number two replied to poster number one, poster number one started a thread which contained poster number two's response to the original private message. It was very bad form on the part of poster number one.

People will do things. People get very hung up on their rep points, look at how many threads there are about rep points. You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask from the ol' Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with rep.

I am not going to open myself up to the nonsense that could come from signing my name. *I* know how careful I am, *I* know that I do it very, very, very rarely. I probably do it more rarely than the people who have publicly said that they "hate" me and "truly despise" me for upholding the negative rep option.

I don't sign my name because I figure if someone would stoop to name calling and insults in their posts, then they cannot be trusted not to do most anything.

One time someone on these boards sent a private message to another poster, sort of picking at her. When poster number two replied to poster number one, poster number one started a thread which contained poster number two's response to the original private message. It was very bad form on the part of poster number one.

People will do things. People get very hung up on their rep points, look at how many threads there are about rep points. You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask from the ol' Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with rep.

I am not going to open myself up to the nonsense that could come from signing my name. *I* know how careful I am, *I* know that I do it very, very, very rarely. I probably do it more rarely than the people who have publicly said that they "hate" me and "truly despise" me for upholding the negative rep option.

I don't sign my name because I figure if someone would stoop to name calling and insults in their posts, then they cannot be trusted not to do most anything.

Call me a brown noser :D, but :iagree:

Irregardless, to me it's just not right. If you can't put your name on it, don't do it at all. IMHO.

"If someone is hostile, abusive, or calls names, give them a negative rep."

This is from the board rules page.

I've wanted to neg rep someone for personal attacks on a thread, but it just didn't feel right so I pmed her instead asking for the personal attacks to stop and let's just get to the issue. She responded nastily and since I was already upset I responded in kind. Now she's threatened to report me to the PTB for "harrassing" her. I figured going to her privately would help her to see the personal nature of her attacks and that she wasn't focusing on the issues at hand. Well that backfired in my face. I wonder now if I just should have neg repped her and left my name. I probably should have just let the whole thing drop. Oh well,live and learn.

Of course, I think neg repping someone you are having a disagreement with might be a problem. You might be too wrapped up in the thread to be objective.

I have left neg. rep for someone that was being just plain rude to someone else.

Of course, I think neg repping someone you are having a disagreement with might be a problem. You might be too wrapped up in the thread to be objective.

I agree. However, if you have standards such as that you only do it for very specific behaviors, then as long as you uphold your own standards, you might be able to get away with it.

I still will never neg rep just for disagreeing and I seem to miss the REALLY interesting discussions that turn ugly (probably because those topics aren't of interest to me).

And I'm going to pay more attention to positive repping. Only twice have I been told I've repped too much in a day. I'd like to have that problem more often. I started with today. I have found enlightenment in this thread (and others) so shared the pos rep with those I agree with and those I don't alike :)

It feels good to give rep points :)

I have less respect for her knowing that.

If you give neg rep, you should sign it. Anybody who gives me neg rep and doesn't sign, I completely disregard and think that I said something right. :tongue_smilie:

I'm sorry. I wish I knew how to explain why I feel the way about it that I do.

"

Very true. I have a self-imposed rule about not giving a negative rep to anyone for insulting me and not giving negative rep to anyone within a thread in which I am involved. (I am sure this sentence is grammatically incorrect but I am in a hurry since I am supposed to go pick up the pizzas)

I stated my opinion. It just IS my opinion. I appreciate those who explained themselves, but I have NO use for those who simply neg rep instead of explaining themselves.

Maybe those who neg rep for disagreeing would like to explain WHY they do it anon instead of just hiding behind the ability to do so. In fact, they could STILL hide on the next neg rep they gave out. No one would know which neg repper it was! And any of us are plenty smart enough to know that if only one is brave enough to be honest that they aren't the only neg repper. You don't have to fear that every neg rep from now on will be attributed to you.