Menu

If you could choose one word for 2015...

ajfries

I'm not big on resolutions, but I can't help but look to each new year with renewed possibilities :) 

I've seen Ali Edwards' One Little Word on various blogs and I think I'm finally going to adapt it for myself. I've chosen "Joy" for my word. I really wanted something a little less cheesy, something with a little more punch...but the fact of the matter is I'm a pessimist and I've worked really hard to be quell my negative speech but my knee jerk reaction is still cynical. 

In general, I feel really good about where we are right now, but at the same time I still feel like I'm constantly striving after something or other. Sometimes it's important things and sometimes it's not. I'd really like to just feel contentment on a consistent basis.

So, if you were to pick one word to focus on for 2015, what would it be? Have you ever done something similar in the past, picked one focus point for the year?

Reduce.

To me, that means less of everything---extra curriculars, volunteer commitments, stuff filling the house, anxiety.

Hopefully, reducing things to their bare minimum will allow me room to bring important things back in, like joy and peace.

I normally don't pick one focal point.  My dh and I usually meet up sometime between Christmas and New Year and talk about what our personal goals are for the coming year (work, finances, etc.) and what are hopes are for the family.  This year merits a less is more message for all of us.

Ditto.

I have two words for 2015: Big Rocks.

You know that visual of putting the big rocks into a jar first, and then you can fill in the space with pebbles. If you put the pebbles in first then the big rocks won't fit. That has been my 2014. I want to be consistent with the *most important things* for 2015.

Most important things, in order of importance for me:

Personal prayer and scripture study

Family prayer and scripture study

Family night

Exercise

Service

Read the best books

Reduce.

To me, that means less of everything---extra curriculars, volunteer commitments, stuff filling the house, anxiety.

Hopefully, reducing things to their bare minimum will allow me room to bring important things back in, like joy and peace.

I normally don't pick one focal point. My dh and I usually meet up sometime between Christmas and New Year and talk about what our personal goals are for the coming year (work, finances, etc.) and what are hopes are for the family. This year merits a less is more message for all of us.

My word is Simplify, but the goals are the same.

I have two words for 2015: Big Rocks.

You know that visual of putting the big rocks into a jar first, and then you can fill in the space with pebbles. If you put the pebbles in first then the big rocks won't fit. That has been my 2014. I want to be consistent with the *most important things* for 2015.

I had never heard that before. I mean it makes sense of course and I knew it in terms of like... packing. But had never generalized. Love it.

I think mine is going to be "live" (the verb, not the adjective).

Thanks for this thread.

I think my personal word will be Submit...to God, to my husband. SO many of my daily stresses are caused by my refusal to live in the will of God and I want to make a conscious effort to submit-particularly in my marriage, and submitting to God financially-managing our money better and showing more respect to my husband would both relieve a lot of stress in our home.

I would like to think of a word for our homeschool as well, like someone above suggested...I think that sounds like a great idea. Maybe it could be the same word with different applications for our schooling/household environment with the kids.

Grow.

That was what sprang immediately to mind and it fits a lot of what I am about. So, perhaps I will even make a cool art word design using Grow and hang it on my wall.

I guess Work would be my word for 2015. Prosperous first came to mind, but it seems so awfully materialistic compared to others! The fact is though, that I've only just started branching out into the world of earning money, after homeschooling for many years, then several years of illness. The tide seems to have turned, and I now have several jobs on the go...all things I love, and I really want to have a few solid years of earning to help establish myself.

hmmmm.   I've not seen/heard of having a "word".  But the concept seems so much more appealing than a "New Year's Resolution".   I'm going to have to ponder and come up with a single word.....it makes you really think through your priorities, goals, and motivations for change.

I'm going to have to go with "Bohemian."  I used to be so much more of a free spirit, doing my own thing and not caring if everyone else thought it was weird, but I keep getting sucked into doing what's popular or easy, and I want to get back more to the way I used to be.  I want our lives here to be less structured, more spontaneous, more artsy and adventurous.

Move.

Yes, Move

I thought I was the only one, though I don't know your intent for that word.

It seems a bit off from the meaning One Little Word, but it's what I need. I spent 2014 being much less physically active than usual, and very much less than I should be. My body will thank me if I move it more, all year.

Oh - I just browsed the site a bit more and found a list of words. Move is there. So yeah, my word for 2015.

Move

Move.

Yes, Move

I thought I was the only one, though I don't know your intent for that word.

It seems a bit off from the meaning One Little Word, but it's what I need. I spent 2014 being much less physically active than usual, and very much less than I should be. My body will thank me if I move it more, all year.

Oh - I just browsed the site a bit more and found a list of words. Move is there. So yeah, my word for 2015.

Move

Reconnect.

Reconnect with old friends. Reconnect with my creative side. Reconnect with the joys of parenting instead of focusing on the rough parts. Reconnect with myself as a person, the spontaneous, fun loving, up for pretty much anything girl I used to be.

I can't get this out of my head and have been pondering it for days.  I really love the idea.  I feel like I've been so disconnected from myself the last few years.  2015 will be my year to reconnect Spiritually, relationally, to hobbies I love, to my family, etc.

Very cool, Craftymama, thanks!