Menu

Please help! I need gift ideas...

Sun

My father and his girlfriend will be with us for Christmas. His girlfriend is a very nice woman, from what I can tell, but I don't know her that well. I have no idea what to get her. She's very practical and not at all fashion-oriented. Normally I'd fall back on a scarf, but she's not a scarf wearer. She doesn't seem to like scented things like lotions or candles. She's in her late 50s. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I gave books in a nearly-identical situation last year, although my recipient was late 60s. I gave her the two memoirs by Jeanette Walls because I had read them both recently and felt that they would appeal to a lot of people.

And also, when you are over about 22, there needs to be a better word than "girlfriend." Someone invent one, please.

Kindles are $49.

I'd ask your dad for more info about her likes and dislikes.

I asked my dad, and he said, "Huh. She's a tough one. I don't know." Yeah, not helpful at all.

And there definitely needs to be a better word than girlfriend, but "lady friend" actually sounds worse to me!

Keep the ideas coming, please!