Menu

What to do with toddler during school time?

ExcitedMama

We recently moved to a fixer upper which really limits the amount of freedom both kids have in the house but it's especially hard on my 2 yr DD. At our old house the house was child proof and safe. Both kids were always allowed to roam freely as soon as they had any mobility. But that's not possible right now or in the foreseeable future as we are remodeling DIY. Their bedrooms are safe so we spend a lot of the time in DD's room, since she can't be in DS room which is mostly full of Legos. The main living area of the house is also home to a makeshift kitchen and laundry room so it's bigger but has way too much off limit stuff so we can only play in their under supervision.

DS really wants to get back into doing school stuff which has been on hold since our move. DD used to play by herself next to us and roam around when we used to do his school stuff and would let me know if she needed attention and come over to me or talk to us. Now my only option would be to put her in a play yard so she would be safe. She is mostly fine in there if I'm doing chores like laundry or getting food together since I'm right there with her but if I sit down to focus on DS she gets very upset. She wants to draw too so I could put her in her high chair to color so she can't go anywhere she shouldn't but after school it's time for lunch and I hate having her strapped in for so long. I've also tried alternating and telling her she can draw after DS but she of course hates waiting. It doesn't work if I do something with her first because she won't go back into the play yard and she's too bored to sit in her high chair for DS to do his stuff.

Should I let her get used to being in the play yard? I imagine at some point she would get used to it and stop being so upset. Or should I keep her with us in her high chair? What is better do you think? Any better ideas for me? Thanks!