Menu

Almond milk: cost of homemade vs store-bought

hsingscrapper

A 3lb bag of raw almonds at Costco is about $16. I use a bit less than 1/2lb for 1-2 quarts of almond milk (at 2 qts, it's on the thin side). If we just assume 1/2lb per quart, it's $2.66/quart. If it's 1/2lb for 2 quarts, $1.33/qt. Cheaper store-bought is about $2/quart.

You can save the pulp and use it for baking, which makes it even more cost-effective.

However, I'd consider the primary benefit to be control of ingredients more than cost, unless you have a source of nuts that is much cheaper than Costco. 

A 3lb bag of raw almonds at Costco is about $16. I use a bit less than 1/2lb for 1-2 quarts of almond milk (at 2 qts, it's on the thin side). If we just assume 1/2lb per quart, it's $2.66/quart. If it's 1/2lb for 2 quarts, $1.33/qt. Cheaper store-bought is about $2/quart.

You can save the pulp and use it for baking, which makes it even more cost-effective.

However, I'd consider the primary benefit to be control of ingredients more than cost, unless you have a source of nuts that is much cheaper than Costco. 

The six-pack of almond milk at Costco is around $8 so that is comparable with out having to do the work. Of course it does have a few additives so that factors in, too. 

I make my own, using almonds from SAMs. From what I figured, by itself, store bought is cheaper. But, if you use the almond flour that you receive from making the almond milk, then homemade is cheaper. And you also get to control the ingredients and feed your family fresh milk. It is quick and easy to make too, especially if you have a nut milk bag. I use 1 and 1/2 cups soaked almonds to 5 cups of water and add vanilla and maple syrup to taste.

I make my own, using almonds from SAMs. From what I figured, by itself, store bought is cheaper. But, if you use the almond flour that you receive from making the almond milk, then homemade is cheaper. And you also get to control the ingredients and feed your family fresh milk. It is quick and easy to make too, especially if you have a nut milk bag. I use 1 and 1/2 cups soaked almonds to 5 cups of water and add vanilla and maple syrup to taste.

What do you do with the almond pulp and does it have any taste left?

I've wanted to try making it, but it's not cheaper.  The cost would be less if I used the pulp.  I just don't know what I'd do with it.

I've wanted to try making it, but it's not cheaper. The cost would be less if I used the pulp. I just don't know what I'd do with it.

I priced it out, and by itself, it isn't cheaper. But if you are buying gf flours and can learn to replace them with almond flour, then it is a lot cheaper.

You can quickly dry the pulp out in the oven by baking it at 200 for 1-2 hours. Then throw it in the blender to make it fine. It will store for a long time. It does have taste left. But I would say it is mild, which is good because you don't want everything you bake to taste like almonds anyway.

I use it to make cakes, cookies, etc. You can also throw some in your homemade granola bars if you want to. I've made cookie dough truffles with it. Almond cookies. Choc. chip cookies, cake with whipped cream frosting and berries. I made a blue berry coffee cake with it. I just google recipes and try them. It's quite easy to work with.

I've wanted to try making it, but it's not cheaper.  The cost would be less if I used the pulp.  I just don't know what I'd do with it.

Dehydrate (you can use the oven) and use in place of some or all of the flour in a recipe. In recipes that rely on gluten for structure (like bread), you don't want to replace more than about a quarter of the flour. For other recipes you can use more.

I've also seen recipes that use the pulp directly, without dehydrating first.

I priced it out, and by itself, it isn't cheaper. But if you are buying gf flours and can learn to replace them with almond flour, then it is a lot cheaper.

You can quickly dry the pulp out in the oven by baking it at 200 for 1-2 hours. Then throw it in the blender to make it fine. It will store for a long time. It does have taste left. But I would say it is mild, which is good because you don't want everything you bake to taste like almonds anyway.

I use it to make cakes, cookies, etc. You can also throw some in your homemade granola bars if you want to. I've made cookie dough truffles with it. Almond cookies. Choc. chip cookies, cake with whipped cream frosting and berries. I made a blue berry coffee cake with it. I just google recipes and try them. It's quite easy to work with.

I think I will try this.

I mostly want to because I like making things.  LOL 

I can get a half-gallon (2 quarts) of almond milk for less than $3 here--usually about $2.33 at Walmart or Aldi.

B