Menu

The day began alright -- Updated in OP

LisaKinVA

Went to bed last night, planning a family trip to Paestum. DH wasn't up for it this a.m., still not feeling well. So, I drove my folks, and 4 oldest kids. My mom got sick not long after arriving at the historic site. The drive home was nice, all things considered, but no sooner had I gotten inside when DH asked me to take him to the ER. He was admitted to the hospital with acute pancreatitis. I finally got home around 9:30. I can't even think about tomorrow...no idea how long he will be there. Just feeling a bit lost. No idea where to start tomorrow. Hopefully, I will sleep and figure it out. Exhausted.

UPDATED 12/17 -- I picked dh up from the hospital today!  He's still on pain medications, plus two others.  He's supposed to remain home from work for the next 2 days, and he has a follow-up on Monday.  They believe it was a duodenal ulcer which kicked off the pancreatitis -- but they will be doing tests on Monday to check on the ulcer.  I'm trying to get dh to advocate for himself regarding treatment of the ulcer, since the type they believe he has is caused by a bacterial infection which needs antibiotics, or it will return.  The doctors have told him that's not how they treat ulcers here...umm, frankly, I don't care about their standard procedures when *everything* I'm reading says this type of ulcer needs to be treated with ABX or it will come back!  Dh doesn't need to be on a stomach coating medicine for years, when a week or two of ABX will most likely resolve the issue completely (stress can be a factor as well...but in the vast majority of cases, even if stress is a factor, it's STILL the bacterial infection).

Anyhow, he's home.  My parents are on the mend.  Taking them to the train station the next couple of days (they are going to Rome and then Florence on Friday).  Wait, it's CHRISTMAS next week?  OH DEAR.  Dare I mention that about all we've done is put up the tree?  I haven't purchased anything...there are no presents...there is no stocking stuff...well, at least we can play Christmas music :D

Thanks everyone. I'm back at the hospital. No idea when they will send him home. Surprisingly, they have okayed clear liquid diet, when his pain is still so bad. Guess we will see how it goes. My parents are at my house, kids at a homeschooling party with a friend...no idea about tonight yet. Yeah, this is nuts. No idea what caused it. Major causes are all ruled out. We're assuming it's from the virus we've had going round the family...simply because it's something we can point to. Doctor wants to rule out an ulcer, but dh had no symptoms of that, either. One day at a time.

Yes, no gallstones, no chronic, heavy alcohol, no masses, no smoking, no high triglycerides, no family history, no bacterial infection...

Oh, just found out our house is being targeted for theft. Joy. Someone ripped out part of our security system. So, now a bunch of stuff we need to do to add extra security to the house. I guess everyone getting sick has been a deterrent.

Yes, no gallstones, no chronic, heavy alcohol, no masses, no smoking, no high triglycerides, no family history, no bacterial infection...

Oh, just found out our house is being targeted for theft. Joy. Someone ripped out part of our security system. So, now a bunch of stuff we need to do to add extra security to the house. I guess everyone getting sick has been a deterrent.

Why is it that when it rains, it pours? 

Can you borrow someone's dog for a week?  That's a hgue theft deterrent. 

Why is it that when it rains, it pours?

Can you borrow someone's dog for a week? That's a hgue theft deterrent.

We have a 90# German Shepard...but determined thieves have been known to kill dogs that are out. So kinda not sure what to do if we are gone. At night, they wouldn't stand a chance, though.

Woke up this morning to pouring rain (does that a lot here, absolutely zero correlation to current events, thankfully),

So...based upon the guess and test method of treatment, it looks like dh may have a duodenal ulcer, which possibly penetrated the pancreas.  He was able to eat (errr, drink his dinner) without a flare up last night, and was able to get some rest.  He's having another liquid meal, but they will attempt solid food for lunch if all goes well.  Assuming he keeps responding to treatment (eating/eliminating normally), he should be able to come home tomorrow.  He will probably have to go back in for a follow up in a few days, for an endoscopy to confirm the ulcer (which will be treated with anti-biotics, Nexium and a stomach-coating pill).  About 2-3 week recovery time.  I'm not sure what limitations they will put on his diet for the next couple of weeks, but I'm prepared for almost anything.

Thank you!

FWIW, my MIL had a severe case of pancreatitis that after a long time was determined to be caused by a gallbladder absolutely filled with sludge.  I don't know why it took so long to figure it out, but she had SO many tests and scans before an alert ultrasound technician figured it out.

First off hugs Lisa!

My DH has the bug I believe you are talking about. He did some research and treats any glare ups he has , which are rare, with Craisins. He also takes a cranberry supplement. He had never done the ABX treatment . No regrets about that either.