Menu

Suggestions for Travel-Related Gifts

aggie96

Hive,

For Christmas this year, I want to give travel-related gifts to the family because we have a big group trip scheduled for next April.  I am racking my brain to come up with something very useful and/or very fun related to travel.  It would be a big bonus if this gift is practical for a 10 hour international flight (business class if that matters).  When my sister left for an out-of-state college a couple of years ago, I gave her and my parents personalized luggage IDs and bungee things that helped stack luggage on luggage when going through the airport.

Suggestions?!  Pleeeeeeease!  :)  The gift recipients are my parents (50s), my brother/sil (40), and *maybe* the young adults (23-21) and kids (16-5).  Any price range (even if cost prohibitive--it might spur another idea).

Thank you for your help!  I'm drawing a blank!

Inflatable neck pillow

Money belt

Books or DVDs about the place(s) you will be visiting

Phrase book/dictionary or gift card to purchase apps

Yes to these...

If you could find food or treats from the destination place at World Market, that might be fun, too.

Kindles

Noise canceling headphones

Guidebooks, phrase books, or language learning tools

IPads loaded with games and movies

Travel/passport wallets with room for boarding cards, passports, baggage claim tickets, and itinerary

Cameras or small video cameras

Anything from Scott eVest that would fit them--my husband recommends them to everyone he meets who travels at all, loves his vest and jacket and pants from them. Can carry three iPads in the vest, no lie. Wonderful way to get around weight restrictions in luggage and carry-on limitations.

We travel internationally at least once a year (we live outside the US, visit home every year, and move internationally every 2-3 years), and my husband does so more frequently. He has a zippered bifold travel wallet that we use every time. It has a slash pocket in front where we keep whatever we need next, usually the next set of boarding passes and sometimes a copy of the itinerary and/or three passports, and inside there's room for boarding passes for the next leg, six passports, baggage claim tickets, and a copy of three itinerary if it isn't in the slash pocket. Also would fit credit cards and cash if we didn't stash those in various pockets all over our bodies and bags. We store it in an easily accessible part of the carry-on so it's always at our fingertips. It's useful enough for us that I bought one for myself the first time I flew internationally without my husband. It allows us to keep the important paperwork together, organized, and accessible. I wish I could link one like ours for you but I'm on my phone and online shopping is not easy on it.

That said, everyone develops their own system for getting through the airports most efficiently, so what works well for us may be an annoyance for others who tried to do it our way.

Slippers - for the flight

Wool socks - for the flight or to reduce the number of socks that need to be packed

Outlet converter for your electric devices

Nice backpack/daypack - but that might be better done with a gift card

Scarf/shawl for the pane or for visiting cathedrals

Gift card for new shoes for the trip

Waterproof, breatheable, packable jacket

A nice journal and pen

Packing cubes

New toiletry bag

Gift card to shutterfly or someplace similar to get prints or books made after the trip is over

Extra battery pack for electronic devices

For the young adults and teens, a magazine or puzzle book for the flight and some currency from the place you're going. It's fun to land with some euros in your pocket and even kids will enjoy having their own spending money.  If you extend it to the kids, you could include a pouch that goes around their neck to store it in- discreet and keeps it safe. A good thing to have on hand because you can tuck in the kids' names, emergency phone numbers, hotel you're staying at, etc.