Menu

Better jeans for a belly?

Laura Corin

I'm a Lands' End size 6 with a belly.  I had a belly before I had children and it didn't get any less.  I seem to be able to buy chinos and dress trousers that don't outline/emphasise the belly, but I'm not succeeding with jeans.  I had some cargo jeans that worked in the past, but I'd rather something a bit more.... stylish?  Any ideas of styles (not too mum-like) that would skim rather than outlining the belly?  I can probably get hold of major US brands - Levis, etc.

Thanks

Laura

• Like 1

I am all ears. I did not have a belly prior to having the children, but do have a torn pelvic floor muscle from first ds's birth that has never been surgically repaired so I can't do a thing to tighten this mess up. Sigh...I just plain do not look good in jeans. I've found dress pants that look decent, but nothing in jeans. I'd love to have a pair that look nice.

• Like 2

My last two pairs of jeans, one "boyfriend" style and one straight style with a bit of stretch were bought from hush (UK clothing brand).  Both jeans fit under the belly.  Their website does have detailed measurements so you can compare to what you have. They are offering free delivery and returns at the moment.  I was really surprised how much I love them as jeans are very hard to buy for me.  They also do skinny jeans. They fit so well that dh even noticed-very unusual for him lol!

Stephanie

I am also a smallish person but I've had a belly ever since puberty that only got bigger when I had kids. I need jeans that come up to just below my belly button to prevent muffin top. My two favorite pairs at the moment are Talbots and Not Your Daughter's Jeans.  I tried on a pair of Eddie Bauer jeans that I really liked, but they didn't have my size in stock, so I don't own a pair yet. Charter Club at Macy's works for me too.

I second the Jag Pull-on jeans.  I got mine at Macy's when there was a sale and good coupons.  I wear straight cut.  I have a smaller frame, (5'5") but have a bigger saggy belly - totally stretched out and I carry all my weight there.  I actually have it on my to do list to go get another pair - I love them!

• Like 1

I make sure that they are not too tight at the waist then there isn't any muffin top.  At the end of the day it is trial and error, jean shopping is only marginally better than swimsuit shopping!

Stephanie

So true. I always say if you find jeans, swim suit or a bra you love, buy lots of them!

• Like 2

jag pull-ons here, too. They are the best jeans ever! As long as you wear a longish shirt over the waist, no one will ever guess the waist is non-standard. They are very comfortable, yet look modern and not "mom jean" at all.

• Like 1

I make sure that they are not too tight at the waist then there isn't any muffin top.  At the end of the day it is trial and error, jean shopping is only marginally better than swimsuit shopping!

Stephanie

The margin is like a poll that puts one candidate at 49 and one at 50 plus or minus the margin of error. Statistically, jean shopping might be mathematically slightly less degrading than bathing suit shopping, but it's imperceptible to the victim! LOL :D

• Like 1

Eddie Bauer jeans have worked well for me - but finding the right size should have been done in the store before ordering - their exchange policy was difficult/didn't work well for me.  If the jeans weren't the only ones I've been able to find that worked well for me I would have taken my business elsewhere.

• Like 1

I make sure that they are not too tight at the waist then there isn't any muffin top. At the end of the day it is trial and error, jean shopping is only marginally better than swimsuit shopping!

Stephanie

For me not to have some muffin top I have jeans that fall down. Add a belt and pull it in the muffin top comes back. I am trying to get rid of the belly a bit but it'll come back.

Jag pull one here too! They're the best!! Zappos has them so you could order several with free returns to see on the size and style. I like malia slim cut in a size or even two down. I also got the skinny leg in one size down that I love too for something even more stylish. The malia cords are great too.

• Like 2

For me not to have some muffin top I have jeans that fall down. Add a belt and pull it in the muffin top comes back. I am trying to get rid of the belly a bit but it'll come back.

For occasions where I really want to reduce the belly muffin top, I reach for Spanx.

I'm also reading the thread title as Jelly beans...  :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Stephanie

Maybe it's because I'm so short-waisted, but if my jeans aren't snug, I am constantly hiking them up. If I add a belt, it just adds bulk to the part of my body that is already too big. 

• Like 1

I'm thick waisted, and short waisted, with longish legs and a flat bottom.  It's nearly impossible to find jeans that fit me.  If I get them to fit my waist, then they're huge in the back.  If I get them to enhance my back side, then they're way too tight in the waist.  I've found that I need them slightly low cut.  Then I can get a smaller size to fit around my hips and legs, and not have to worry about them fitting around my waist.  Stretch denim helps tremendously!  

I haven't tried the Lee Perfect Fit jeans that others mentioned, but from looking at Sparkly's link, I think I'll give them a try.  They look like they're low waisted (but not too low), and long enough.