Menu

Do I have to follow state graduation requirements?

Exactly, I mean? If they want, say, 3 history credits and list out specific courses, is it best to follow those? For example, TWTM sequence doesn't follow those, but it's a solid education. My state has no legal requirements for homeschoolers other than notifying the local school district. I've never worried about following the state standards before, but I've also never homeschooled high school before.

In my state, the state graduation requirements only apply to public schools, not private or home schools. I'd look at the admissions requirements for some colleges your DDs might be interested, and follow those. For example, some colleges do specifically require a year of US History, while others just want 2-3 years of social studies without specifying course titles.

You can add in some US government or history if needed. It helps not to think about things year by year but what is covered overall. You can name your courses to fill out a transcript for college. We did not do an American History Course for dd but wove it into her World History. And she had a government co op class.

If you can look at the required gen ed courses at colleges your dd might want to attend, you might have a clearer view of what is most worthwhile to cover in high school. For example, all Texas college students have to take 2 semesters of American history. If you take the APUSH exam and get at least a 3 (or 4 depending on the particular college) you get credit for the classes. It's well worth doing APUSH in high school in order to free up credits for more interesting classes in college. OTOH, Texas requires 2 semesters of US and Texas government. If you take the AP Government exam you have to take a separate test that covers the Texas content. However, if you use dual enrollment at the CC, you can take the exact classes that are required for free (because a high school junior and senior can enroll in 2 CC courses per semester tuition free).

These are the type of nitpicky details that it's worth looking into as you plan high school. Unfortunately, they depend on where you live and where you might like to attend college. If you have a local homeschool group, there might be some parents who can help you out with your options.

Good luck!

Exactly, I mean? If they want, say, 3 history credits and list out specific courses, is it best to follow those? For example, TWTM sequence doesn't follow those, but it's a solid education. My state has no legal requirements for homeschoolers other than notifying the local school district. I've never worried about following the state standards before, but I've also never homeschooled high school before.

If your state does not require specific credits from homeschoolers for high school graduation, then you are free to determine your own. However… a few thoughts to bear in mind:

1. Best to double check with local homeschoolers of high school students to make sure you are not missing out on any benefits, or going to get tripped up later, by following WTM rather than state public school requirements.

2. If college is the plan after high school, look into what the college admission requirements are for Social Studies (History falls into that broader category, along with Geography, Government, Economics, Psychology, Anthropology, and Sociology). Most colleges require 2-3 Social Studies credits (a few require 4 credits), and almost always require that one of those credits be one full credit of American History

So, if planning to attend a competitive or top tier or specialized school for college, be sure to check the freshman admissions requirements each year -- they do change from time to time. If shooting for a competitive, selective, or top tier school, see Barbara H's high school requirements chart on her website Homeschool Success.

For planning credits for high school that will ensure meeting admission requirements of most university, many families shoot for the "4x5" plan -- 4 credits each in the five major subject areas of: English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Foreign Language. For being "college prep" ready with your credits for a majority of schools, your credit list would look something like this:

- 4 credits (years) = English (1/2 Literature, 1/2 Writing)

- 4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, and a higher math with Alg. 2 as a pre-requisite)

- 3-4 credits = Science with labs (often preferred are Biology, Chemistry; + others)

- 2-4 credits = Social Studies (1 credit = Amer. Hist., + others)

- 2-4 credits = Foreign Language (of the same language)

- 1 credit = Fine Arts

- 2-6 credits = Electives (ex: Computer, PE, Health, Vocational/Tech, credits in areas of personal interest, additional Fine Arts and/or academic subject credits beyond required, etc.)

TOTAL = 20-28 credits (comes out to 5-7 credits per year of high school)

3. If returning to a high school later on is even a remote possibility, consider also following along with the state requirements for credits to smooth a potential return.

It is not as hard to do with WTM as you'd think; do the WTM sequence, and just add in extra material to cover the History period/location that would be required by the public school. This will likely result in an extra O.25 to 0.5 credit of material per year. On the transcript, you can shuffle the material done over multiple years into single credits and list the credits required by the public school system, with additional partial or full credits for the WTM History.

JMO: I would ONLY go to all this extra effort if you were uncertain about returning to high school in the future. By the start of grade 11, you are usually on a clear track for the remainder of high school, and if that is clearly going to be homeschool at that point, then you don't have to worry any further about trying to also meet public school standards that will not be needed.

BEST of luck in your transition back to homeschooling for 9th grade! Warmest regards, Lori D.

For planning credits for high school that will ensure meeting admission requirements of most university, many families shoot for the "4x5" plan -- 4 credits each in the five major subject areas of: English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Foreign Language. For being "college prep" ready with your credits for a majority of schools, your credit list would look something like this:

- 4 credits (years) = English (1/2 Literature, 1/2 Writing)

- 4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, and a higher math with Alg. 2 as a pre-requisite)

- 3-4 credits = Science with labs (often preferred are Biology, Chemistry; + others)

- 2-3 credits = Social Studies (1 credit = Amer. Hist., + others)

- 2-4 credits = Foreign Language (of the same language)

- 1 credit = Fine Arts

- 2-6 credits = Electives (ex: Computer, PE, Health, Vocational/Tech, credits in areas of personal interest, additional Fine Arts and/or academic subject credits beyond required, etc.)

TOTAL = 20-28 credits (comes out to 5-7 credits per year of high school)

The only thing I would change on this is to make it 4 credits of Social Studies. Many colleges are looking for 1 yr U.S. History, min 1 yr World History, 1/2 yr Economics, 1/2 yr Government, 1 elective.  

With a language other than English that is a requirement for most Liberal Arts colleges and Universities.  If your child is looking at a technical college or a program such as engineering they may not need that.  If you are not sure what direction your child is going it is best to do the most and have your bases covered.

Here's the requirements from one of my state's top colleges,they all have these requirements with little deviation.  The state req's for H.S. graduation are also the same.  *Note my state gives 1 credit per semester, so if you're used to 1 credit per year then just halve the req's.

• 8 credits (semesters) of English, such as literature, grammar, composition, and journalism
  • 7 credits (semesters) of mathematics, including 4 credits of algebra and 2 credits of geometry (or an equivalent 6 credits of integrated algebra and geometry), and 1 credit of pre-calculus, trigonometry, or calculus
  • 6 credits (semesters) of social sciences, including 2 credits of U.S. history; 2 credits of world history/civilization/geography; and 2 additional credits in government, economics, sociology, history, or similar topics
  • 6 credits (semesters) of sciences, including at least 4 credits of laboratory sciences: biology, chemistry, or physics
  • 4 credits (semesters) of world languages
  • 3 or more credits (semesters) of additional college-preparatory courses; additional mathematics credits are recommended for students intending to pursue a science degree and additional world language credits are recommended for all students

Here's the states req's

English/Language Arts 8 credits
Including a balance of literature, composition and speech.

Mathematics 6 credits (in grades 9-12)
2 credits: Algebra I
2 credits: Geometry
2 credits: Algebra II
Or complete Integrated Math I, II, and III for 6 credits.
Students must take a math or quantitative reasoning course each year in high school

Science 6 credits
2 credits: Biology I
2 credits: Chemistry I or Physics I or
Integrated Chemistry-Physics
2 credits: any Core 40 science course

Social Studies 6 credits
2 credits: U.S. History
1 credit: U.S. Government
1 credit: Economics
2 credits: World History/Civilization or
Geography/History of the World

Directed Electives 5 credits
World Languages
Fine Arts
Career and Technical Education

Physical Education 2 credits

Health and Wellness 1 credit

Electives* 6 credits

To get an honors diploma you have to take extra math (2 credits Pre-calc or something like that) and extra World Languages (6-8 credits total).  You also have to either take 2 AP courses/tests or 2 College classes.  You can skip those if you do really well on the SAT and ACT.

HSer's of course here don't have to follow the P.S. req's (we don't even have to register with the state, very little required of us). But if you want to get into the colleges you have ot meet minimum req's  The University's website specifically says they hold HSer's to the exact same standards as P.S. students (this particular college is very HSing friendly).

Yes, look at several colleges, but it also helps to talk to several colleges.  Usually what is on their websites is just the minimum.  For example, one of the schools we had been considering said two years of a single foreign language.  But when I asked them what the norm was for an academic scholarship, they said that four was common with many having AP or SAT II scores.

I don't have to follow the state requirements, but it doesn't hurt to look at them.  For example, we did a 1-semester health class as a filler that I would have not thought of except that they do that for the state diploma.  We needed a 1/2 credit early on, and it was easy enough to do.  I also chose to do a fine or industrial arts credit even though many homeschoolers don't.  One of mine is doing welding, and the other is doing studio art.  I figure that the state diploma has elements of a well-rounded education that are worth considering.

Our history and literature credits don't match at all, and that's not a biggie.  They do a semester of state history and a semester of government.  We rolled in both of those with history.  They also do a personal finance 1/2 credit, and I just rolled that into economics for a year-long course.

I did the same # of P.E. credits that the state does, but mine did martial arts.

The only thing I would change on this is to make it 4 credits of Social Studies. Many colleges are looking for 1 yr U.S. History, min 1 yr World History, 1/2 yr Economics, 1/2 yr Government, 1 elective.  

I've been going off of the college admission pages I've looked at throughout the past 5 years (ordinary state colleges and some smaller liberal arts and tech-based colleges), and none required more than 2-3 credits (1 credit *required* American History + 1-2 other credits of student's choice -- sometimes preferring World History & Econ/Gov't -- but often that is more of a state board of education high school requirement).   :)

BUT, just for you mschickie, I edited it to read "Social Studies 2-4 credits". Cheers! ;)

Also, as a previous poster mentioned, research the specific colleges directly, to know for *sure* what is required and what is not. In addition to sometimes making more rigorous changes without posting, a lot of universities are willing to flex and bend with you and not require that extra credit of Social Studies or the credit of Fine Arts. So, there can be change in a *good* way, too, by talking directly with the admissions office. Several people on this board have mentioned that they have had this nice adjustment made for them without it being any big deal. (Caveat: I would NOT COUNT on this; it may be just a few colleges that are more admissions-friendly toward high scoring homeschoolers for all we know…)

In our state, 3 credits of history/social science is needed for state colleges.  Very few public high school students take more than that.

Luckily I noticed that several of my son's top out of state contenders required 4 years.  We squeezed in that last credit.  Otherwise, he would have missed out on several huge scholarships.

Definitely check with the colleges your kid is interested in!

Is that the only school you expect to apply at?  

Honestly their requirements are a bit light, I'd do like PP's said a call the college, even make a phone appt. with a counselor, just to make sure that what's listed is really all that is needed.

For my DC I'd do-

4 years of Math.  If DC is going to be a Arts major then after Alg. 1, 2, and Geometry I'd have them take a College Math course, something somewhat easy or Stats....  maybe stretch 1 semesters worth of Pre-Calc out over 2 semesters?

I'd also do 4 years of Science, it doesn't have to all be in depth mathy science.  Save Chem and Bio for 11th and 12th and do some of the easier Sciences first.  IPC, Earth Science, Human Anatomy (yes I know A&P is hard but it doesn't have to be).

At least 1 year of US History (as stated) 1 semester of Government and then I think another 1 1/2 years of "Social Sciences" would be fine.  More History (ala WTM)Geography, Economics, Psych, Soc, Anthropology (lots of options here)....

Look and see what CLEPs the University accepts, even if they don't it might be a good idea to take a few of these to show that DC's grades are well deserved.

As for foreign Language.... I have unpopular thoughts on that.  I do know that I took Spanish in 9th and 10th grade as required and by the time I got to college I had forgotten 95% of it and I was doing better then most of my classmates.  

We will be using something like breaking the barrier to "check the box" and moving on. 

This is dd's top pick (in state school): http://admissions.utah.edu/apply/undergraduate/high-school-core-requirements.php

Looks like it's fairly flexible. I'll ask local homeschoolers, too, though.

Translating the Univ. of Utah's credits to fit the general format being discussed in this thread, it looks like the university currently requires this for freshman admission:

4 credits = English (Composition & Literature)

2 credits = Math (Alg. 1 is assumed to have been completed; Geometry, Alg. 2 (or above) )

3 credits = Science (required: Biology, Chemistry, Physics -- at least 1 must be a lab science)

1 credit = Soc. Studies (0.5 credit each American History and Gov't)

2 credits = Foreign Language (same language)

4 credits = Electives (at least 2 credits = academic electives (i.e., additional credits in History, English Math beyond Alg. 2, Science w/ lab, for. lang., Soc Sc, Fine Arts, Tech, or Engineering)

16 credits total

Since that is lighter than the typical university -- and, to be competitive for scholarships, you want to do more than this minimum -- it looks like you'll be fine if you go with the standard list of credits that will get you into the majority of colleges:

4 credits = English

4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, and a higher math with Alg. 2 as a pre-requisite)

3-4 credits = Science with labs (Biology, Chemistry, Physics; + optional other)

2-4 credits = Social Studies (1 credit = Amer. Hist.; 0.5 credit = Gov't; + others)

2-4 credits = Foreign Language (of the same language)

1 credit = Fine Arts

2-6 credits = Electives

TOTAL = 20-28 credits

JMO: If at all possible, I'd try for 24 credits, which would mean accomplishing 6 credits per year of high school, and would allow you to complete a "4x5" program (4 credits each of English, Math, Science, Soc. Studies, For. Lang.), plus 1 Fine Arts credit and 3 credits for Electives. If your student is headed towards Fine Arts, then scratch that and shoot for 4 credits each of English and the Fine Arts area, 3 credits each of Math, Science and Social Studies, 2 credits of For. Lang., and that leaves you 5 credits for Electives, as you feel best helps your student prepare for life and for entrance into the college of choice.

To help complete your planning of high school credits, here are some very general tips for adding on to the general credit list above. Hope that helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

If planning on a gap year or vocational field Associate's Degree, plan on:

- Elective credits that allow for exploration

- dual enrollment in 11th/12th grades (if the student is ready for it), esp. credits in the vocational field, to see if this really is the field of interest -- and the credits count for Electives -- OR, credits that work towards transfer to the university as gen. ed. credits)

- possible CLEP tests (if the future college of choice accepts them), to reduce future costs and time at possible future 4-year school

If planning on a STEM field degree, plan on:

- 4 credits math, with at least 1 above Alg. 2, AND

- 4 credits of science, all with labs, and with 1 being an advanced science (a second, more in-depth science of the field of interest that builds on the first level of that science

If planning on a Humanities field degree, plan on:

- 4 credits Social Studies

- additional credit(s) in English, Social Studies and/or Fine Arts, or Foreign Language (esp. if interested in politics, foreign service, etc.)

If planning on a Fine Arts field degree (music, art, theater, dance…), plan on:

- lighter high school credit load (i.e., 3 each of Math, Science, Soc. Studies, 2 of For. Lang.) to allow for many hours of lessons, practices, recitals, travel, etc.

- heavy outside-school schedule of classes, practices, performances etc.

- summer programs, often in other states or even international (ex: ballet)

- much research into the instructors and the programs of Arts/Music/Theater/Dance at universities

- prep for the required auditions in addition to applications to the desired universities

- possible CLEP tests or dual enrollment in 11th/12th grades (if student is ready) to knock out credits in advance of college to lightened overall load of college to allow student to focus on performance

- If planning on a Business field degree, plan on:

- additional credit(s) in business math (accounting, finance, statistics etc.) -- which will count as elective(s)

- additional credit(s) in Economics -- which will count as elective(s)

- additional credit(s) in Foreign Language (esp. if interested in overseas business) -- which will count as elective(s)

If planning on a more competitive or selective school, or top tier school, plan on:

- 4x5 credit plan, with honors and advanced courses in several subject areas

- additional math/science credits (academic electives), if possible

- 26-28 credits (or more) -- so, numerous academic electives and other electives

- possible 2-4 SAT Subject tests as you complete those subjects (if required by the university)

- possible 2-4 AP courses and tests

- extracurriculars and pursuing personal interests to stand out as an "interesting" student with something unique to offer

She plans on a major in fine arts. Math is her least favorite subject. I'm having her do BYU independent study for this year. She loves art and English and is great at both. Science is ok as long as the format is engaging. She's reading a Neil deGrasse Tyson book right now as part of her earth science credit. She's also binging on Cosmos.

I think this is the only school that she will apply to that has a traditional admissions process based on grades and test scores. There's another state university right next to our house that has open enrollment (you just have to have graduated high school). It's a former community college that grew and added programs until it was given university status. They have a nice program for what she wants to study, but it's not as good a school as the university I linked to. The culture at the University of Utah is a much better fit for her as well.