Menu

I have done NO Christmas shopping!

DawnM

Give an experience.  Instead of buying gifts for everyone in the family, go somewhere not too far away, purchase a night or two at a hotel/motel and have a couple of fun meals out together.  That could be arranged pretty quickly.  That's what I'd like to do one of these years. 

But the kids do love the Christmas morning gift-opening fun, too, so it's a hard decision to make. 

Uh, I have done very little.

I have bought fabric for and made pjs for my sons.

I have bought a few stocking stuffers.

Inexpensive electric toothbrushes for my niece and nephew.

Nail wraps for my nieces.

A TMNT shirt (used) for my husband.

A couple of hoodies for my niece.

Some used misc Legos for my younger son.

I usually do my shopping after 12/15. That's when it feels like Christmas season to me.

I feel so much better knowing some other people are behind as well.  I truly do.  Lost my mom two years ago in October and since then I do not care about the whole gift giving part of the holidays. We spend time as a family doing things, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for gifts. Sent the grandkids a check. What kind of grandma does that???? This one. They know I love them dearly, but they're picking out their own gifts this year. 

I feel so much better knowing some other people are behind as well.  I truly do.  Lost my mom two years ago in October and since then I do not care about the whole gift giving part of the holidays. We spend time as a family doing things, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for gifts. Sent the grandkids a check. What kind of grandma does that???? This one. They know I love them dearly, but they're picking out their own gifts this year. 

A grandmother who loves them is that kind.  

Sent the grandkids a check. What kind of grandma does that???? This one. They know I love them dearly, but they're picking out their own gifts this year. 

My Grandma did.  My sister and I loved it! We had MONEY!   And now my mom is starting to do the same for my kids.  They love it too.  It sure beats getting gifts one has to pretend to like as it wasn't exactly anything really wanted.

Well, we just got back from 9 nights at Disneyworld and they all complained about having to be in a hotel, so that will not fly!

Give an experience.  Instead of buying gifts for everyone in the family, go somewhere not too far away, purchase a night or two at a hotel/motel and have a couple of fun meals out together.  That could be arranged pretty quickly.  That's what I'd like to do one of these years. 

But the kids do love the Christmas morning gift-opening fun, too, so it's a hard decision to make. 

I started yesterday.  Target was crazy busy (I think I bought a nerd gun and two coloring books is all).  Then I checked prices on many things on my phone while I was there and several were slightly cheaper at amazon anyway.  (Prime has spoiled me.)  But I still need to order and even then, I've got a long long way to go for six kids plus dh.  I have no clue what to get dh and had a hard enough time for his recent birthday as it was.

That's right.....zilch, zippo, nada, absolutely NONE.

And I am not sure I even will do much.

Yep. Looking at my schedule, I may be able to take care of a gift here and there. Financially we can manage a small gift for each of the kids ($10) and maybe some candy or dollar store trinkets for the Christmas stockings. And oranges :).

My kids love gift opening too but they hardly opened anything last year. We were very tight and warned them they'd get very little from us, which they were very understanding about. Then their grandparents who usually spoil them with lots of gifts, instead decided to spoil them with a cruise so that's the only thing they opened there (a brochure). They were SO excited and had a wonderful time when they went last January. If you do the vacation thing and make it a surprise, just have them open something related to it, tickets, brochure, itinerary, something of that nature.

Oh and OP, I've been in your shoes plenty of times. I just cut back on who I was shopping for. Last year, my kids and my niece and nephews were the only ones I bought for. I told everyone I was buying only for children and not to get me anything (some listened, some didn't). :)

This year I feel so on top of things. I started in the beginning of November, was over halfway done by Thanksgiving and now only have one or two little odds and ends to pick up. Oh, and stocking stuffers, which I plan to get today or tomorrow. I've even wrapped almost everything, which is a chore I usually put off way too late.

I feel so much better knowing some other people are behind as well. I truly do. Lost my mom two years ago in October and since then I do not care about the whole gift giving part of the holidays. We spend time as a family doing things, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for gifts. Sent the grandkids a check. What kind of grandma does that???? This one. They know I love them dearly, but they're picking out their own gifts this year.

We lived far away from my one set of nice grandparents from the time I was 4 until they died. They always sent a check and they were splendid, fantastic, awesome grandparents. The one exception was the year we went to visit them for Christmas and they took us shopping with them. They had a lot of kids, and thus a lot of grand kids and most of us lived out of town. That was how they did gift giving and it was more than fine. In fact, a few years when we were really tight, my parents Christmas checks were the only reason we had a tree, stockings and a Santa present. My grandmother's signature is still very clear in my mind.

I am sure you're a fabulous kind of grandmother.