Menu

Portraits of American Girlhood or Girls of American History

CrystalM

I was searching for the curriculum that I had seen on here before and did a Google search and came up with two different ones. Has anyone seen the Girls of American History curriculum before? When I saw the cover of the Portraits of American Girlhood I knew that was the one I had seen previously. The Portraits one does not include all of the American Girls but the Girls of American History does. Have you used either? What are your thoughts on them? 

Thanks in advance.

I have used 4 units of Portraits and plan to finish the other 3 units as well. I have not used Girls of Am Hist, thought I have looked at it and read about it.

~~With Portraits you have a more complete curriculum which has science, history, writing, hands- on etc.

~~Girls of Am History was designed with children with attention problems in mind. It is mostly hands on and not really much in the way of academics. 

I personally have a moral dilemma with Girls of Am Hist. Two ladies came to this board pretending to be happy users and were basically spamming. They were not very nice either. I had actually considered using some of the units not covered in Portraits until I saw that. But if you are interested the above is the best that I can do to tell you how they differ. HTH

I personally have a moral dilemma with Girls of Am Hist. Two ladies came to this board pretending to be happy users and were basically spamming. They were not very nice either. I had actually considered using some of the units not covered in Portraits until I saw that. 

:iagree:

I remember that and I was going to mention it, but Susie already did.  After that happened I, personally, wouldn't even consider using Girls of American History.  It's a shame that happened.  

I have used 4 units of Portraits and plan to finish the other 3 units as well. I have not used Girls of Am Hist, thought I have looked at it and read about it.

~~With Portraits you have a more complete curriculum which has science, history, writing, hands- on etc.

~~Girls of Am History was designed with children with attention problems in mind. It is mostly hands on and not really much in the way of academics. 

I personally have a moral dilemma with Girls of Am Hist. Two ladies came to this board pretending to be happy users and were basically spamming. They were not very nice either. I had actually considered using some of the units not covered in Portraits until I saw that. But if you are interested the above is the best that I can do to tell you how they differ. HTH

:iagree:

I remember that and I was going to mention it, but Susie already did.  After that happened I, personally, wouldn't even consider using Girls of American History.  It's a shame that happened.  

Thank you both for the heads up. I did a little search and found one of the spam posts that was quoted by someone. I also did a search to find out what is really included in the Girls of American History curriculum and from what I have gathered Portraits of American Girlhood will fit what I'm looking for. I like the idea of more subject integration with real lessons and not just suggestions of things I could do. I am also considering Prairie Primer (Little House on the Prairie curriculum) and Where the Brook and River Meet (Anne of Green Gables curriculum). I may incorporate them all since we plan to read all of the books anyway. There is also a Narnia set from the same publisher of PP and WTBARM. So many great books, so many ideas, just gotta figure it all out. LOL

I have Portraits of American Girlhood for sale on the Classifieds, if anyone's interested...

I thought we might use the program next year, even though we aren't into the dolls at all. I think it's a very cute program (with lots of creative writing, art and history.)

Even though it looks good, I decided to go with Veritas self-paced for next year, since DH has health issues that require many doctors visits and chauffeuring (by me).

• 5 months later...