Menu

New pots?

Farrar

So until recently, I had been using nearly fifty year old Club brand aluminum pots - the ones left over from my parents' wedding registry. They were really, really good. I had a four-quart and two three-quart ones. They were my rice pots and what I cooked peas and some other things in - small batches of things, warming stuff up, etc. I still have the dutch oven, though it's really just a smaller back up for my Le Crueset. But somehow they all died in the last six months in different ways. The last one dh left on a burner way too high and the food was literally burned into the fabric of the metal or something. It was crazy.

So I think, okay, I just need to go replace them with something new. I think, I'll get a 4-quart something and a 3-quart something. Something good quality. Maybe not top, top of the line, but something really decent. So I hit Target and Bed Bath and Beyond and... I have no idea what to get.

First of all, and maybe this was just weird luck - do they not make 3-quart pots anymore? Good grief! But even weirder was that when I looked at the ones in the sort of $40+ range that I thought, this is probably what I want... they were fluted on one or two places and the lids had a little steam escape thing. Is this okay for rice? I'm used to a tight fitting lid. What about for things like field peas or green beans where you want them simmering? If steam keeps escaping do you just have to add more liquid to start or what?

And what do I even really want? 

... and the lids had a little steam escape thing. Is this okay for rice? I'm used to a tight fitting lid. What about for things like field peas or green beans where you want them simmering? If steam keeps escaping do you just have to add more liquid to start or what?

The steam escape hole is okay for rice and for steaming. I have use steel pots, clay pots and rice cookers with the steam escape holes.

For vegetables simmering, I don't need to do anything. For meat, I either add more water or top up when its low.

My kids just joke that it's like having a humidifier when I cook.

• Like 1

Looking at the Tramontina, there are just sooo few reviews on Amazon. The multi-clad (or whatever it's called) of better known brands like Cuisenart has tons of reviews, mostly positive, and the price is pretty much the same - just a couple dollars more or less depending of the specific pot. What's so great about the Tramontina?

I have the tramontina triple ply.  Overall I've been pretty happy with it.  But I don't have anything to compare it to (I've always had mismatched collection from garage sales/goodwill etc).  I think there has been some changes since I bought my set so this may not apply, but mine doesn't have rolled edges on the top.  This is annoying when trying to pour out of the pot since liquid will run straight down the edge of the pan verses out a little way out that my other type of pots do. Otherwise, they heat up well,  I have much better even heating than my other things,  I've yet to burn anything significantly on the bottom of the pot (I think that speaks more to the quality of the pot than my cooking since I get easily distracted).  If you check Walmart they have lots of reviews for it.

• Like 2

Looking at the Tramontina, there are just sooo few reviews on Amazon. The multi-clad (or whatever it's called) of better known brands like Cuisenart has tons of reviews, mostly positive, and the price is pretty much the same - just a couple dollars more or less depending of the specific pot. What's so great about the Tramontina?

Calphalon, Cuisenart, and Tramontina all make pretty popular "value" level Stainless Multi Ply "Clad-type" cookwear. I have not price compared recently, but in the past Tramontina was the lowest priced option (by a good deal). I also like the design by visual inspection (repeating that I've never used them personally). The Tramontina versions wrap the clad fully around the sides (just like All Clad does). Cuisenart does not. Cuisenart models have a "disk" of ply on the bottoms, but they don't wrap. So it seems to me to be a less good design at a higher price.

I believe the Tramontina was sold heavily through Walmart. you might look at the reviews there. They also received good professional reviews (if memory serves).

If one is looking for "the best there is" the Malfer Bourgeat heavy copper with Stainless Steel jackets are unparalleled (putting All Clad to shame). But $$$$$. I cherish my Bourgeat pans, have a bunch of All Clad, Le Creuset, Cast-Iron, Carbon Steel, and ceramic cookware. They all have their things.

For a good set that doesn't break the bank those Tramontina pans look pretty good to me. I could be wrong.

Bill

• Like 2

Whoa. Not only are there a ton of reviews at the Wal-Mart site, it's massively cheaper because they have it in sets that are way less. UUUUGGGGHHH... I never buy from Wal-Mart but I think I'm about to hit buy on this...

Yeah, I saw a nice set on there for about $110 (with a 3qt saucepan).
  • Like 1

While I'm somewhat reluctant to suggest cookware I've never owned or used, I've long looked at the Tramontina Triple-Ply Clad as an intriguing choice for those who can't/won't swing for the price of All Clad.

Bill

Second this. Cook's magazine once rated it second best only to All Clad, but the price is much less of a sticker shock.

Matfer Bourgeat has a set of copper pots for a cool $1,600.....I don't think I would ever spend this kind of money on cookware unless Bill can convince me that every dime is justified... :lol: ...and even then dh may have something to say about it.

Look, here is something I could afford from Matfer Bourgeat:

http://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-061607-Table-Crumber/dp/B00AQKTKOG/ref=sr_1_21?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1418104357&sr=1-21&keywords=matfer+bourgeat

• Like 3

So I bought the Wal-Mart ones in that set for just over $100. It had the 3 quart one that I really needed and a 2 quart as well as a couple of pans. I'm not unhappy with my Calphalon pans, but I'm not unhappy to get a couple more good options. And if I really like it, I may say goodbye to my smaller dutch oven and just use this one. It is, after all, cutting edge 70's pot technology so it might be it's time... Dh was like, it's a Wal-Mart brand? He gave me quite a dubious look. I was like, the WTM Forum told me to do it!

• Like 4

Second this. Cook's magazine once rated it second best only to All Clad, but the price is much less of a sticker shock.

Malfer Bourgeat has a set of copper pots for a cool $1,600.....I don't think I would ever spend this kind of money on cookware unless Bill can convince me that every dime is justified... :lol: ...and even then dh may have something to say about it.

Look, here is something I could afford from Malfer Bourgeat:

http://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-061607-Table-Crumber/dp/B00AQKTKOG/ref=sr_1_21?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1418104357&sr=1-21&keywords=matfer+bourgeat

The tail-end of a great recession may not be the best time to be talking about $1500 cookwear sets, but back in boom times (with a generous wedding gift certificate to Wiliams-Sonoma from a rich Uncle) I acquired a nice collection of Bourgeat. I already had (have) some nice All Clad. All Clad is nice, but there is no comparison.

This is cookware that will seriously last for generations. I expect there will be grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren who will know nothing about me other than the fact that I once owned some rockin" cookware!

If one has the spare cash these are worth every penny. They are a true investment for futures of cooking joy. Truely superb!

Bill

• Like 1

While I'm somewhat reluctant to suggest cookware I've never owned or used, I've long looked at the Tramontina Triple-Ply Clad as an intriguing choice for those who can't/won't swing for the price of All Clad.

Bill

I bought these on your recommendation a little over a year ago, Bill. I have not been sorry.

• Like 2

So I bought the Wal-Mart ones in that set for just over $100. It had the 3 quart one that I really needed and a 2 quart as well as a couple of pans. I'm not unhappy with my Calphalon pans, but I'm not unhappy to get a couple more good options. And if I really like it, I may say goodbye to my smaller dutch oven and just use this one. It is, after all, cutting edge 70's pot technology so it might be it's time... Dh was like, it's a Wal-Mart brand? He gave me quite a dubious look. I was like, the WTM Forum told me to do it!

After you've put them to the test, please let us (me) know how you like them. I hope we (I) steered you right. These look like really great cookwear (and especially nice for the price).

All the best,

Bill

• Like 1

I bought these on your recommendation a little over a year ago, Bill. I have not been sorry.

Whew!

I've considered buying a piece of Tramontina Triple Ply Clad just to try it out (it looks so good). But the huge multi-rung pot-rack I had constructed is already so over-stuffed with heavy pots that I have concerns of the house imploding.

Who'd have thought that when a guy who went to Berkeley and UCSB has a "pot problem" we'd be taking about cookwear? :D

Bill

• Like 6

Whew!

I bought the set from Walmart because it gave me the most for my dollar, but keep thinking I should also get the saute pan. I'm still using a non-stick one I've had for years (Pamered Chef) and haven't been happy with it for a long time. 

Who'd have thought that when a guy who went to Berkeley and UCSB has a "pot problem" we'd be taking about cookwear? :D

Bill

:lol:

Bad time to admit I purchased my wife a Miele vac as a wedding gift? :D

Bill (a true romantic)

Hey, that works for me.  So far Christmas/birthday/anniversary gifts have looked like this:

A new minivan

an Induction stove

A Bosch mixer and nutrimill

an Excalibur dehydrator

an other such random kitchen appliances and big ticket household items.

I'd much rather have something useful than some fancy clothing/jewelery/decoration that would never get used.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After you've put them to the test, please let us (me) know how you like them. I hope we (I) steered you right. These look like really great cookwear (and especially nice for the price).

All the best,

Bill

Back to report that so far, so good. I've made rice, couscous, and field peas in the pots. The lids fit nice, they heat really evenly - super perfect. I'm really pleased. I'm less sure about the pans. I've tried them with scrambled eggs and grilled cheese and some other things - I wanted to just do really easy stuff to get used to them. They weren't kidding when they said they get hotter on medium heat. They just cook really differently from my cast iron and hard adonized pans. I think I'm going to like them, they just take some adjusting. Oh, and they all are easy to wash. I can see that the outsides will get discolored if I don't use that barkeeper's friend, but I don't know if I'll be fussed or not. I'm not much on the look of things as long as they keep working.

Thanks, again. :)

• Like 2

Back to report that so far, so good. I've made rice, couscous, and field peas in the pots. The lids fit nice, they heat really evenly - super perfect. I'm really pleased. I'm less sure about the pans. I've tried them with scrambled eggs and grilled cheese and some other things - I wanted to just do really easy stuff to get used to them. They weren't kidding when they said they get hotter on medium heat. They just cook really differently from my cast iron and hard adonized pans. I think I'm going to like them, they just take some adjusting. Oh, and they all are easy to wash. I can see that the outsides will get discolored if I don't use that barkeeper's friend, but I don't know if I'll be fussed or not. I'm not much on the look of things as long as they keep working.

Thanks, again. :)

Thanks for the update. They will definitely discolor a little without scrubbing with the Barkeeper's Friend. I have a bunch of copper that would look stunning if I never used it (or devoted my life to scrubbing) but I let it patina. Bon Ami is nice for cleaning the insides.

Clad skillets differently cook differently than cast-iron. The former get to temp quickly, the latter don't. You'll quickly adjust.

I'd like to hear further updates if you're so inclined. 

Bill

• Like 1

BTW, I don't think Stainless Clad is the best for cooking eggs in any case, even the much more expensive All Clad. One can do it best by stabilizing the pan over a much lower heat than you'd think (dry). Then adding butter/oil just before adding the eggs. If you add eggs to a cold pan on high heat they will stick.

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

BTW, I don't think Stainless Clad is the best for cooking eggs in any case, even the much more expensive All Clad. One can do it best by stabilizing the pan over a much lower heat than you'd think (dry). Then adding butter/oil just before adding the eggs. If you add eggs to a cold pan on high heat they will stick.

Bill

All-clad d5 with a nonstick coating is a dream for eggs.

Without a coating, not so much.