Menu

McCain picked Sarah Palen, Governor of Alaska, as VP

I admit I'm having a bit of a time wrapping my head around this three day thing.

Well, here's what "going back to work" apparently meant:

"The governor didn't spend the entire day at work [3 d after giving birth], but she did meet in Anchorage with her gas line team, which is preparing for a special legislative session. A Palin spokeswoman said the governor will be working on a limited basis for a while, and hopes to make some public appearances already on her calendar."

This (campaign) should be (more) fun (than I was expecting)!

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you figure? The media has come down VERY hard on the experience issue with Obama. At least the media that I've seen and heard.

I think he's, for the most part, gotten a pass when it comes to experience.

Obama's campaign just came out w/ their official reaction to Palin's nomination. "John McCain has picked a former mayor of a city with the population of 9,000 people w/ no 0 foreign policy experience and she is now a heart beat away from the presidency." I guess they missed her 2 years of executive experience as governor of Alaska. This statement is petty, mean-spirited and completely dismissive of small town voters, in my opinion! It makes me wonder if Obama has really taken a good look at himself in the mirror.

I don't know about y'all, but I am soooo excited I could burst. That glass ceiling for blacks and women is about to completely shatter. I can look at my sons and daughter in the eyes and really mean "You can be president if you work hard enough!" Even though it was probably true back then, I never believed it. I just never believed it. I feel like God has answered my prayers.

And it's not that I expect perfection or even much from any politician. I'm pretty pessimistic about that. But she is a mother of 5 children, if my dh was right. Can you imagine, that means that any of you on this board could be president too, including me.

This is unbelievably historic in my mind. I have a whole new faith in America that I never had before. I just cannot believe that this is happening. This is just amazing, absolutely amazing.

I have to stop typing, because I am speechless...

Obama's campaign just came out w/ their official reaction to Palin's nomination. "John McCain has picked a former mayor of a city with the population of 9,000 people w/ no 0 foreign policy experience and she is now a heart beat away from the presidency."
:confused:

Kinda like the pot calling the kettle here...

A heart-beat away from the presidency -- with zero FP experience -- is a lot less important to me than an executive with close-to-zero FP experience. At least she has leadership experience in an executive capacity. There is a difference between running a country and legislating (kind of like the queen bee versus the worker bee analogy).

I know nothing about her, but I do know this: not living in the governor's mansion isn't necessarily a fiscal benefit. Illinois' illustrious governor refuses to live in the governor's mansion and it's costing the state a LOT to maintain the mansion and pay for him to fly from Chicago to Springfield.

Now, I'll go read up on her. I am hoping she'll get me excited about the election, because so far, I haven't been.

Well, here's what "going back to work" apparently meant:

"The governor didn't spend the entire day at work [3 d after giving birth], but she did meet in Anchorage with her gas line team, which is preparing for a special legislative session. A Palin spokeswoman said the governor will be working on a limited basis for a while, and hopes to make some public appearances already on her calendar."

This (campaign) should be (more) fun (than I was expecting)!

Well, I knew there had to be more to THAT story. Thanks, Grace!

Well, I knew there had to be more to THAT story. Thanks, Grace!

Those who are full-time moms are "back to work" immediately when a new baby is born, as are most home-schooling moms. The job description is different but arguably just as demanding, physically. (I'm thinking managing five children is probably much harder than attending a meeting.)

Oh, and self-employed moms: I remember writing payroll checks in the hospital bed when I had my first child.

Alright, this did it for me! I've been not at all excited, not even sure I was going to vote because McCain/Romney just left a cold pit in my stomach.

This has me doing a serious happy dance! She led the way for LESS federal money to her state, she calls corruption when she sees it without compromising her values. Those two things right there make me want to cry! I'm so stinking happy!!!!!!!

Sounds good to me.:D

I can now vote for him. It was going to kill me to do it but now I can do it. I haven't voted for him in several elections for our state. He keeps pulling the votes and doing nothing about illegal immigration but we won't talk about that. lol It's a sore subject for me.

Love his choice and love her. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the 3 day thing but then it was likely light duties anyways. I work at home so why can't she. It shows dedication and her keeping her pregnancy shows high character.

Waaaaa Hooooooooooooooo :hurray:

I'm not going to vote for Barack Obama because he has mixed African/European ancestry, or for John McCain because he chose a woman for vice-president.

But I am heartened that a historic barrier will be broken no matter how this election turns out.

I look forward to learning more about Sarah Palin, and I wish her well.

Bill

WOOHOO!!! :party:

I was undecided until today. I really couldn't make up my mind!

Now I know that I'll vote for McCain and Palin!!!! :D

(I have two children with special needs. McCain has one and so does Palin. I firmly believe that they would do more for autism research than Obama and Biden.)

Okay, I just have to say, that if McCain had chosen a man with this little of experience, I think everyone would be jumping all over him. It seems that when a candidate chooses their running mate, one of the criteria is whether or not that person is qualified to take over as president. If Palin had run on her own, would she have been given serious consideration? I don't dislike her... it just seems like the same double standard which women and minorities fight against (it doesn't matter the experience and qualifications, race and gender are more important, etc.).

I guess I need to learn more about her. I'm just wondering if everyone is evaluating her through the same lens that they would use to evaluate a white male of the same experience/background.

I know nothing about her, but I do know this: not living in the governor's mansion isn't necessarily a fiscal benefit. Illinois' illustrious governor refuses to live in the governor's mansion and it's costing the state a LOT to maintain the mansion and pay for him to fly from Chicago to Springfield.

Now, I'll go read up on her. I am hoping she'll get me excited about the election, because so far, I haven't been.

I worked for Alaska Air for 13 years and it's driving distance from Wasilla to Anchorage. I suppose you could fly but I don't know many that do. It's a different world up there and more simple too. I doubt very much that she is costing the state more money but likely trying to give her kids a stable life by not moving them out of their schools and such. I'm not sure but I bet that has something to do with it. She is likely just a simple girl.

Okay, I just have to say, that if McCain had chosen a man with this little of experience, I think everyone would be jumping all over him. It seems that when a candidate chooses their running mate, one of the criteria is whether or not that person is qualified to take over as president. If Palin had run on her own, would she have been given serious consideration? I don't dislike her... it just seems like the same double standard which women and minorities fight against (it doesn't matter the experience and qualifications, race and gender are more important, etc.).

I guess I need to learn more about her. I'm just wondering if everyone is evaluating her through the same lens that they would use to evaluate a white male of the same experience/background.

Too many great posts, not enough rep.

She's a hockey mom so she's one of my peeps! :D McCain has always considered himself a bit of a maverick so this choice fits right with that. It would have been very easy to pick another Washington insider (note to Obama.)

On the news however, they're already talking about her inexperience. I guess experience only counts for VP, not president! The hypocrisy of the media never ceases to amaze me!

No kidding.. but then they liberals run most of the stations and they slant everything for their views anyways. lol

I can say with certainty that I am. I am excited not because she is a woman (but that is cool) but because she is very conservative and very pro-life (and lives it). If McCain chose a man with the same beliefs I'd be just as excited.

See, I'm not excited just bc she's a woman. I just like her positions, what she has done, the fact that she is not "beltway" and east coast, and that she is so pro-life. I would have been as excited about Bobby Jindal.

Actually I found news articles stating she DID move into the Gov. Mansion.

Quote "Since moving into the governor's mansion in Juneau in December of 2006, Palin has earned a reputation as a reformer...." quote

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008146486_webpalintimes29m.html

Now why did I think it was in Anchorage. Duh.... I need more coffee. lol That is right and that is a hard place to fly out of.. yikes. That place needs reforming. lol

I appreciate what you are saying here. The first thing that comes to my mind is this - could not the same thing be said for Obama ("it doesn't matter the experience and qualifications, race and gender are more important")? As far as I can tell, Palin, as the *VP* candidate is not any less experienced - all things said and done - than Obama, the *presidential* candidate. Obviously, he has more experience than her in some arenas but the converse of that can be said as well - that she has more experience than him in other areas. All in all, though, neither one is *as* experienced as others on the two tickets. This happens to be one of those times when we have "inexperienced" candidates on the tickets. For me, it boils down to who presents themselves capable enough to head this country's ship enough to warrant my vote.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate that I'm home alone watching it. I feel like an idiot cheering and clapping alone :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You aren't alone, I'm clapping with you and well they all looking at me like I'm nuts. Hubby is loving this too. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:confused:

A heart-beat away from the presidency -- with zero FP experience -- is a lot less important to me than an executive with close-to-zero FP experience.

:iagree:

Honestly, it seems that Mrs. Palin probably DOES have at least SOME foreign policy experience :001_smile: --- given that Alaska borders two foreign countries! I imagine that there are dealings with both Canada and Russia (although I would be happy to hear from someone who lives in Alaska about this). In other words, I think her executive experience has probably been quite different than, say, Jimmy Carter's.

Okay, now I can officially say that I won't have to hold my nose to choose McCain now! Whippee! Palin 2012! Yes!

Yep. I was worried that I would have to close my eyes and pull the trigger, too. Now I don't have to.:D

Edit: Golly, that sounds like I am going to shoot someone! I mean the lever!

Wow, no matter who wins, this will truly be an amazing and historic race.

i agree. i was telling my son just this morning that even though i haven't been watching the convention coverage (i can't take the pundits) i have been YouTubing the major speeches. Obama's nomination is a major historical event and i suggested we view his speech together at some point.

McCain's selection has made this political season even more spectacular and fascinating; come what may, a sea change is going to happen on November 4th.

I never heard of her until this morning, but the longer she talks, the more excited I am.

Is it really official? The article I read says:

"As for the prospect of her being vice president, Palin told Kudlow that she could not answer the question of whether she wanted the job “until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day. I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here….†"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970882/?GT1=43001

Does she still need to accept the nomination? If she does, this really will be an exciting race!

I can say with certainty that I am. I am excited not because she is a woman (but that is cool) but because she is very conservative and very pro-life (and lives it). If McCain chose a man with the same beliefs I'd be just as excited.

:iagree:

The best part about coming in late is I just get to agree with my peeps!:D

Dipping my toe into a presidential thread for the first time...

I'd say Palin is an bold, interesting choice for sure. However, the choice only solidifies my opposition to McCain. (Though in all honesty, his position on the war in Iraq means he never had a chance with me anyway.) My cynical reading of the choice is that it blatantly panders to women, with an eye toward wooing disaffected Clinton supporters. The experience factor is very troubling to me because of McCain's age and health issues. Also since all of her experience has been in a city and state with fairly low populations, I'm not confident in her ability to fully understand the economic and social realities of life in our country's urban centers.

Oh well, if nothing else the McCain-Palin ticket will make for an interesting race.

Robin, honey, you're talking as if the V-P contributes to the running of the government! Silly woman!

The V-P has one job, and one job only: to tip the electoral math in the presidential candidate's favor. Obama felt that he needed someone who said "experience" to do that, and he chose wisely. McCain needed somebody that would get people excited, and, d@mn, he hit a bulls-eye.

But you mark my words, only Jed Bartlett chooses VPs for their potential actually to run the government.

ETA: I don't know how I can manage to be so cynical and yet so appreciative at the same time, but there we are. This may be the first presidential race I've been interested in my whole adult life.

What about her impresses you, Beth?

I am one of many who know little or nothing about her.

I've spent the morning googling, instead of teaching. Thankfully it's Friday, and that's our light day anyway :)

My googling points to her having cut her own salary and sold the governor's airplane, which tells me she's very willing to walk her talk. She has not held back from blowing the whistle on members of her own party - I like that a great deal. My brief investigation shows her to be no-nonsense and effective.

This could be interesting. I have never wanted to vote for McCain. I am open to the possibility, now.

Okay, I just have to say, that if McCain had chosen a man with this little of experience, I think everyone would be jumping all over him.

The first thing that comes to my mind is this - could not the same thing be said for Obama.

As far as I can tell, Palin, as the *VP* candidate is not any less experienced - all things said and done - than Obama, the *presidential* candidate. Obviously, he has more experience than her in some arenas but the converse of that can be said as well - that she has more experience than him in other areas.

Sharon beat me to it, Robin. One of my issues about Obama has been his lack of experience - and I think Pam is correct (elsewhere in this thread) that people have expressed grave concern about this lack.

My replies in red:

The experience factor is very troubling to me because of McCain's age and health issues.

This cuts both ways, though, doesn't? Obama has NO executive experience whatsoever, and he is first in line, not second.

Also since all of her experience has been in a city and state with fairly low populations, I'm not confident in her ability to fully understand the economic and social realities of life in our country's urban centers.

Again, both ways. I, for one, would like someone who understood rural, everyday joes and janes, who are "bitterly clinging to guns and religion" or whatever that ridiculous quote was.

Oh well, if nothing else the McCain-Palin ticket will make for an interesting race.

Very true.

:)

I can't decide how I feel, though, about a woman with a 3 day old baby going back to work and with a 6 month old baby running for VP. On one hand, why shouldn't she? Men would do it in a heart beat and it would probably boost their ratings to have cute baby in the campaign bus. But I wonder if people will see it different for a woman. I'm trying not to.

When my babies were that little, you couldn't have ripped them away from me if I were offered "Queen of the World".

Give me a break. She has more experience than Obama or Biden hands down.

She is what this country needs and I could not be more proud! I have seen what she has done for Alaska and she will be a welcome change to our Country.

My hope in this election is renewed...

Go Sarah!!!