Menu

Why do so many conservative Christians feel they have to dictate how the rest of us live?

Cammie

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so sad. I'm sorry. I think God knows best, but I know for sure that I do not. We are called to be humble.

There are some Christians out there, really lovely people who would do anything for anybody, who do not expect to tell others how to live.

If it helps at all, when we needed a realtor, we knowingly chose a gay man (because he seemed like he really understood what we were looking for). He was great. We didn't look down on him, and I hope he didn't look down on us. Just mentioning that to say, there are different kinds of Christians.

I know that. I *am* a Christian. I simply don't fit the question in the OP.

I know this probably isn't going to help anything, but just to say- If you believe in Biblical creation, and you believe God made Adam and Eve, then it kind of follows that God instituted marriage in the beginning. (Jesus talks about how God made it one man and one woman from the beginning, in speaking against remarriage after divorce.) So biblically, God's people have always had marriage, first in the garden, then it's mentioned later, then among the Jewish people, then Jesus came and the church started and there was Christian marriage.

Not disagreeing with you, just saying this is where the other viewpoint comes from.

People can have their own beliefs, but they can't have their own facts. People in this thread (and elsewhere) have repeatedly attempted to claim that only one type of marriage has ever existed. They have called facts introduced stupid. They have made racially charged claims that tribal peoples who believe otherwise are irrelevant. If they expect their beliefs to be respected instead of treated as fairy tales, then they must do likewise.

Well I believe SWB has spoken and we are no longer allowed to post pictures.

But I am serving cake in spirit.

Luscious moist cakes, tailored to your dietary requirements / preferences, each cake with a personal Icing Kit so that you can write whatever sentiments take your fancy on your cake.

Luscious moist cakes, tailored to your dietary requirements / preferences, each cake with a personal Icing Kit so that you can write whatever sentiments take your fancy on your cake.

You can post your own pictures.  But that means you need to bake a cake first.  

1. Go to Google

2. Search for "cake" (or whatever)

3) Click on "images" link

4) Click on "Search tools"

5) Click on "Usage rights"

6) Select from any of the 4 dropdown categories for posting to this board; those categories are freely shareable if you're not making money and contain images linked by the copyright owner as such.  For other uses besides posting to message boards, you may  have to use more restrictive categories.

Alternatively, everything on Wikimedia Commons (Wikipedia media project) is Creative Commons (CC) license and is post-able here.

Oh that's interesting! So early Middle Eastern Christians didn't have their own religious marriage ceremony with some kind of name specific to that event? They were having civil ceremonies? I didn't know this. Thank you.

I will have to look into this. Yes and no. Marriage was civil, but the marriage could be blessed by the Church. Many early Christians were in mixed-faith marriages either due to conversion of a spouse or an arranged marriage. In Orthodoxy there are not even vows.