Menu

online college courses

many colleges not just "online" colleges have English 101 or Writing 101 online classes including many Community Colleges 

personally I would prefer the online class be taken at a brick & mortar school and be equivalent to the in person class

Taking community college courses online within your state can also make it easier to transfer these courses to a four-year-university, as many states have in-state institutional agreements. In our state transferable classes are marked specifically to show that they will transfer according to a common numbering system. If you are paying for college credit make sure you can use it later.

Yes, I'd look first at the community colleges in your state.  Sometimes though they may be reluctant to sign up a dual enrollment student for online if it is the first college class they've taken.  Both of the community colleges I work for require that the first class be face-to-face or hybrid (some face-to-face).

Another alternative is Clovis Community College in New Mexico.

Our Community College system actually gives a reduced tuition to homeschoolers for online classes but not for face-to-face classes. Students are welcome to take their first or all classes online, although that wasn't our choice. Definitely check with your local system. If you find your local Community College is not friendly or is difficult to work with, then start looking for distance learning options. 

Clovis mentioned above is popular for being relatively inexpensive for out of area students and having a fairly large selection of online classes. How widely their classes are accepted by Universities in other states, I have no idea.

Many Harvard Extension School classes have an online option or format, as described here: 

extension.harvard.edu/courses/course-formats.

HES offers many writing classes. Geraldine Grimm is a wildly popular writing teacher.  If you search for her on this page, extension.harvard.edu/courses/course-search, you will see that her spring section, for which registration officially closes on January 25th, has already gone to waitlist. 

HES classes are expensive.

Local students of high-school age can usually get a 50% discount on one class per semester, but I don't know if out-of-region students are eligible for the scholarships.