Menu

Does it bug you when FB "friends" announce a pruning?

Ginevra

I tell my kids to expect people to comment at a forum that includes a comment section. I told them to expect comments that range from strong agreement to strong disagreement and everything in between plus a few irrelevant ones from out in left field.   If they aren't willing to see a comment that disagrees or strongly disagrees with them, then FB isn't the forum for them.

Actually, I disagree with this. You can use FB in a way that doesn't invite controversy at all. You're in charge of everything on your own wall. If you only post and discuss on your own posts and keep your settings to friends only then no one else is going to be able to discuss with you except the people on your friend list. If you keep that list controlled to people you know and trust then FB isn't like commenting on a forum where people can come out of nowhere to disagree with you. It's when you start getting in discussions or arguments on other people's posts that you don't know who they know or what those people might say.

No. He likes to have discussions on FB and for people to disagree. Basically he'll be like, look, if you're going to come on everything I post that's positive about gay rights and say nasty things about gay people, please just defriend me. It's not a "if you disagree with me defriend me" - it's more like, if you disagree with me and can't be cordial, do us both a favor. When people are rude, he does this periodically and it's weird but each time he does it a few people unfriend him - not even always the people who were being rude.

My rule for FB and controversy is basically that I don't discus on other people's posts unless I really know them super well, we have shades of difference instead of just complete opposition or it's an open ended question. I only break it for things that I think people are just being ill informed about - like if someone posts something that's proven false, I'll be like, sorry but... and link Snopes or something. I do think people who rove FB and disagree with someone's politics just relentlessly are a bit rude. I just leave that stuff alone and let it inform me how other people think. On the other hand, I also think people who think that every post on FB is "for" them and in "their" face specifically are nuts.

Aaah, I get it, thanks. No, the really rude ones won't unfriend because they feed on the drama! I've hidden the people on my feed who posted politics relentlessly. My bigger problem is the people who are constantly and aggressively posting the alternative lifestyle/healthcare posts and seem like they're just daring people to take them on. I like these people, and I don't want to hide them, but if I could just filter FB posts by keywords, I'd be so much happier. 

Right now I have someone who's obnoxiously posting about the protesters in NYC, and I'm so tempted to hide him. I don't know if I can bring myself to do it though!

I try to be respectful of other people on their posts, and I don't post stuff myself that I know will upset any of my friends.  (So I am pretty quiet in fb.)  Once in a while I just can't let something slide, so I will try to find a very diplomatic way of saying "there's another side to the story."  But mostly I take the position that my fb friends have the right to be wrong.  :)

Interestingly, right now there is a fuss going on on a fb forum where one person asked a non-controversial question, a few people gave unsolicited opinions, another person (not the original poster) took the unsolicited opinions very personally, and WWIII broke out.  :p  I was like, I think the original question was ___ and 99.9% of this discussion isn't about that.  It's still going on hours later ....  And the only reason I noticed the fuss was because someone made a new post saying "I quit" - but she's still going strong.  LOL.  PS I don't know any of these people IRL so I'm sure they are all lovely people and I have no beef with any of them.

Does it bug me? No.

Do I roll my eyes at the plea for attention? Yes.

When I prune, I just go ahead and do it.  But whatever makes them happy, bless their hearts.

yes, I've seen it and I kind of find the drama annoying.  Usually it's ones with a victim/persecution complex..who say they like open dialog, post something that could be controversial, and then when someone gets all dialogy and they make their "announcement".  Sheesh, if you don't like what someone says, just quietly unfriend them if you want.  Why bring more drama to the table?   Some people can be very obnoxious, but I don't get it when someone else wants to add fuel to the fire.

I think it's silly. I've seen people announce and I just ignore and somehow I didn't get deleted even though it's a person I very rarely talk to. I went through a purged my list of people I don't mind if I ever speak to again. And I did it without any need to inform people. If they noticed and got offended, they really need a hobby or something. But I'm not very active so I doubt anyone would notice me.

I try to be respectful of other people on their posts, and I don't post stuff myself that I know will upset any of my friends. (So I am pretty quiet in fb.) Once in a while I just can't let something slide, so I will try to find a very diplomatic way of saying "there's another side to the story." But mostly I take the position that my fb friends have the right to be wrong. :)

Same here. There are lots of memes or statuses I don't agree with on which I don't comment. If it only crops up once in a while, I figure the world of FB can live without my two cents. I don't care if people have a different stance on some issue than I do. I rarely say anything about it. Once in a while, I have had a FB "friend" who wants to brow-beat one issue endlessly. I hide those people or unfriend them, depending on how significant they are to me IRL.

My other pet peeves on FB: 'chain letter' posts and the posts that try to shame you. As in...'if you love xyz (or hate this awful thing)  you'll repost this but I know most of you won't'. This tests the limits of my nice vocabulary :)

Yes, that irritates me too.  Even if it is something I agree with, that does not mean I think it's right to go all "in your face" about it to all my facebook friends.

This thread is reminding me of the many times I've thought, "should I unfriend this person?" but I usually don't do it.

Another thing is that I cannot watch most of the videos on facebook, because my internet is too slow.  If you really want me to know about something, tell me the key point(s) in words in addition to posting the video.  I can't be the only person who has internet limitations.

It doesn't bother me, really.  If it's a blatant plea for attention (the ones that demand you like or comment lest you be pruned)- that's annoying and I never respond.  But most of the time I think those who do this are genuinely concerned for others and don't want people wondering if they did something wrong.  Honestly, though I am mostly a FB lurker, I have considered doing this because I don't understand why people friend me and then never like, comment, or have any other kind of interaction with me there.  It's kinda the point, I thought..?  But whatever...   ultimately I don't care that much about it.

Yes, that irritates me too. Even if it is something I agree with, that does not mean I think it's right to go all "in your face" about it to all my facebook friends.

This thread is reminding me of the many times I've thought, "should I unfriend this person?" but I usually don't do it.

Another thing is that I cannot watch most of the videos on facebook, because my internet is too slow. If you really want me to know about something, tell me the key point(s) in words in addition to posting the video. I can't be the only person who has internet limitations.

You're not. I can't watch video, either.