Menu

Rolling Stone "our trust was misplaced." UVA assault article retracted?

unsinkable

I have no idea! At my son's university, they actually have their own, real, certified police force. If the students call 911 that's where their call is routed. If they call the town police about something that happened on the university campus, they are told to call the university police. 

My son's university's 'police force' (known as bulldogs) had their police powers taken away in 2003.  Now there are just normal security guards, but crime is reported to the local police.  I think that the pressure on a university to market itself as a 'clean' place for young students to attend makes it too likely that a university police force will suppress reporting of crimes.

• Like 2

Here's the latest:  http://news.yahoo.com/uva-grads-sue-rolling-stone-over-retracted-campus-113511669.html

Three graduates of UVA are suing the magazine.  I actually do hope they win their case.

I didn't see it mentioned, - but a couple months ago a dean filed a lawsuit against RS for defamation.

I hope they all win.

I remember my first day at college and they were going over what to do if there was a crime on campus (theft, vandalism, etc. Rape wasn't covered because that isn't an issue on a Catholic campus #funnynotfunny). I was shocked that I wasn't to contact police but "campus security". Most of the security guards were students!!

Why do colleges get to act like their own countries?? My advice to my kids will be to screw "security" and call the real police.

Because for most crimes students commit, it's a way to provide punishment without criminal record.

Great for standard underage experimentation with drinking and mischief.  Terrible for violent crimes.

Because for most crimes students commit, it's a way to provide punishment without criminal record.

Great for standard underage experimentation with drinking and mischief. Terrible for violent crimes.

I disagree. By the time a child gets to college, they need to realize that there are real consequences to their actions. Like jail and criminal records.

IMO, it is mostly about making the school appear squeaky clean to outsiders.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Here's a very interesting story. It seems the one who cried wolf has a lot of serious mental issues. The hole she dug was so deep, I doubt she could see a way out of it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-uva-rape-catfishing-20160109-story.html

Poor guy! I cannot believe they were so shoddy in the initial investigation that this was missed in favor of *that* piece.

• 1 year later...

The problem is that every time a woman lies about having been attacked, she potentially damages the credibility of every other woman who reports a legitimate attack.

It sickens me to think that anyone would fabricate a story about a vicious attack. What a horrible thing to do, on so many levels.

So true. My friend's son had his life ruined by this. A girl claiming rape that got him put in a detention center for a chunk of his high school years. Even my friend didn't know what to believe even though her son and many of his friends vehemently refuted it. He was a good kid but of course we know that doesn't mean alot so it is hard to know. Come to find out the girl did in fact lie for attention and out of revenge. She ended up admitting it after he was released.

When one of my older sons was in high school he was very charismatic and good looking. He had so many girls blowing up his phone, sending innapropriate pictures to a point he showed me and asked to have his number changed. I think as much as I want to see girls vindicated in these terrible truthful cases I also hope caution is taken in gathering facts as guys can be victims too.

• Like 2