Menu

S/o: Family Research Council (FRC).

LucyStoner

Was it this thread or the other thread that linked the article about the status of same sex marriage?   I'm having trouble keeping track. :huh:

Anyway, I didn't realize so many states now allowed same sex marriage.  That's really cool.  :hurray:

I was shopping with dd the other day and she needed a wedding card.  She was very impressed to see that Target sells cards explicitly for same sex weddings.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm circling back around here, but I think this thread was the one in which my 1st Amendment question was never answered. Rather than try to go back and find it, I'll ask again. I have a very tenuous understanding of the intricacies of the amendments, but I do understand the basics. So, how does the freedom of religion aspect apply to the cake and baker situation? The way that I understand things, the 1st Amendment protects our right to claim whatever religion we'd like and to practice said religion without fear of reprisals from the government. So, if that's right, it doesn't apply to the baker. He IS allowed to practice his religion and to hold his beliefs. Requiring that he bake the cake might go against his religious beliefs, but I don't see how it threatens his right to believe what he wants or to practice his religion. Baking the cake isn't stopping him from being able to go to church or being able to be Christian. Can somebody please explain?

It doesn't. It's fear mongering. THEY are coming to take your God and your guns. It's also a convenient excuse when someone doesn't want to follow a law or thinks something or someone else is icky.

When only one point of view is allowed, when no one may dissent without risking his livelihood and his good name, you are already living in a totalitarian regime, twin sister to theocracy.  Guess who always gets the short end of the stick in a totalitarian regime?

"Freedom of speech" does not now mean, and never has meant, "freedom from criticism."

Here's one way to deal with hate speech: http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-news/1.631539

This is an interesting approach... particularly, the recommended shared Shabbos meal... I would certainly imagine there would be a good bit of anxiety and distrust initially, on both sides... but developing actual relationships across the lines of Other is surely the best way to see one another's faces and humanity...

... yet I can also see that feeling compelled to do so has the potential to backfire... though consequences for law-breaking are always compelled, so there's that as well...

thanks for sharing -- much to  mull over...