Menu

Do you have a Blackberry? Tell me about it!

I know this sounds crazy, but it's true, so here goes:

I'm working four part-time jobs:

1. Teaching GED/ABE/EDP (an alternative high school diploma program) for a local school district.

2. Teaching EDP in a different local school district.

3. Supervising several EDP sites state-wide

4. Democratic Registrar of Voters in our town

In addition, I:

1. Homeschool our dd (my mom lives with us and helps out here a lot, but I do all the planning, teaching of new material, and correcting, etc.)

2. Am President of a very large, very busy national dog breed club (over 1,000 members)

So dh has convinced me that I really need a Blackberry, if for nothing else, to keep all my four work schedules straight.

Do you have one? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Do you know of an alternative/similar product?

Please tell me, because I am incapable of making one. more. decision:

WHAT DO I WANT?????

ARRGGHH!!! Looking at it all typed out like that, it's just overwhelming.

But with our heating oil budgeted at $900 per month this winter, I've got to.

Astrid

I have a Palm Treo - Palm based not windows.

I considered replacing it with a BB, but after all these years i would miss my touch screen and a few other things.

But i love having everything (i don't do mail on my phone) from my calendar be on both my computer and my phone. The all-in-oneness of the phone and palm is great too, although i am pondering an iTouch (iPhone not an option because of AT&T). I"m just not sure i can go back to 2 "things".......

Make sure you go try some units - working ones are better, so you can check the size difference and the keyboards out.

I have a Samsung Blackjack. I usually hate it - it doesn't pick up signals like my old phone used to. It also does weird things - it mysteriously loses settings I've put in and then they mysteriously reappear. I don't use the calendaring feature (I just use a paper calendar that I keep in my bag), but I do use it for the internet quite often when I'm out and about and need some info quickly.

DH has a Blackberry. He syncs it to Microsoft Outlook to keep his calendar. He loves it! Everyone I know who has one loves their Blackberry. Why didn't I get one when I had the choice?

I have a Palm Treo - Palm based not windows.

I considered replacing it with a BB, but after all these years i would miss my touch screen and a few other things.

But i love having everything (i don't do mail on my phone) from my calendar be on both my computer and my phone. The all-in-oneness of the phone and palm is great too, although i am pondering an iTouch (iPhone not an option because of AT&T). I"m just not sure i can go back to 2 "things".......

Make sure you go try some units - working ones are better, so you can check the size difference and the keyboards out.

Yes, we have AT&T, and I was a bit bummed that they don't offer an iPhone. Do I want an iTouch? Do I want the touch screen? OH, I'm so confused! :-)

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

astrid

Yes, we have AT&T, and I was a bit bummed that they don't offer an iPhone. Do I want an iTouch? Do I want the touch screen? OH, I'm so confused! :-)

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

astrid

I"m on Verizon - so i can't get the iPhone, but if you are with AT&T you can - they are the ONLY people that have it!

The iTouch approach would be cheaper monthly for sure, no internet charge on there ($30-50/mon additional).

DH hates his. However, he hates that he is required to be on call all the time. I can't stand the fact that it buzzes all night long with emails from dispatch. He doesn't need to act on these, but he does need to know about them. I made him keep the blackberry outside of the bedroom so we could get some sleep. If they need him, they can call him. When we went on vacation, he got permission to leave it at home. It took 2 days to detox from it (not checking his hip every 5 minutes), but he was SOOO much more relaxed without it.

I have a Palm Centro, dh has a Palm Treo. I lova, lova, lova it! I have a crazy schedule too and it helps so much to keep it all organized.

The Palm has two software options, Palm based or Windows based. We use the Palm based software and it works wonderful for us. I can set appointments in my phone or computer, and then plug the phone into my computer and push a little button on the cord, and it links with the computer, updates my calendar and contacts, and then I unplug it. It takes about 30-60 seconds. I really like having a backup of my calendar and contacts if I loose my phone or organizer.

We don't pay extra for the data package. If we did, I wouldn't have to link via a cord, but it would cost about $25 a month more.

The only thing I don't like is that I can't send pictures any more. When you have a palm or similar device, you typically have a "data package" (an upgrade on the type of minutes on you phone plan) and it costs more to send images. Since we don't have the data package and are only using the phone on the regular network, we can't send pictures. The Palm phones are some of the only phones that you can use with out having a data package on your phone in the Verizon network. If you have the data package you can download things from the Internet like mapquest images directly to your phone, send and receive emails, and other Internet functions. On my plan text messages are a minimal charge or you can prepay for a certain amount, but they are just like on your regular plan and not the data package.

Some of my favorite features are the touch pad that work both with your fingernail or the included stylus. It makes it so easy to set appointments and to see my schedule at a glance. I also like how easy it is to put in notes into the appointments, so I can add in an address of where I am meeting or reminders to bring certain documents with me. I really like the reminders that you can set to chime to help keep me on time to these appointments :D. I also have really come to appreciate, touching my phone in the morning and having a list for the day set up in front of me of reminders for the day. The battery last for days and I haven't had any problems figuring out where all the features are at (well the alarm clock hidden in the world clock feature took a search in the help section of the phone...but I found it easily from there). The character pad is laid out like a typewriter keyboard so you don't have to try to text from a phone pad layout.

Dh's Treo is just like my phone but a little bigger. It works better for his larger fingers as the keypad buttons are a little further apart. My phone works great for regular girl fingers but if someone had larger finger tips they may want to try both the Treo and the Centro to see which is a better fit.

I just got an iphone and I am deliriously happy. I have GPS, phone, iPod, calendar/contacts/organizer, bookreader, web access, email, all in one. Web surfing is slow and chews up battery time, but in a pinch, it's nice to know you can if you need to. And there are lots of little utilities available too. I used to have to carry three different devices to get just part of the functionality in this one device.

I think it would be great for your situation. I highly recommend it.

I had a BB and my dh who has a Palm Tree 755 convinced me to go with the Palm. I have absolutely no complaints with this phone. It is touch screen and I love the calendar and the document feature. The document feature allows you to work with excel and word on your phone. You can type a schedule right on your phone and upload it to your computer. It has TV/ movie viewing, google maps, mp3 player, instant messaging, email, pics/videos, wonderful calendar. I would be lost without my calendar. You can read more about it and other phones such as the BB here. HTH

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1188

or here

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/

The Palm Treo 800 is a great phone also. However, don't get a Palm Centro. They have had reportedly problems shutting down and freezing up.

You can also use it as a modem to get online with your laptop while traveling. Just download this software

http://software.everythingtreo.com/product.asp?id=6829&n=PdaNet-for-Treo-700p%2F-755p

and use your USB cord. Just make sure you have a Data Plan on your phone and you are good to go. :)