Menu

Do we need to do Level 7 of All About Spelling?

I purchased, what was at the time, all of the levels of All About Spelling (1 through 6) and then there was talk of Level 7 being made.  I knew that the first 6 levels were complete and the extra level was for Latin and Greek roots and some extra things.  Extra is the word here. 

However, I read online in some places that the spelling curriculum isn't complete until you finish the 7th level - so I'm confused.  When did this change?  Was the first 6 complete when I bought them several years ago or not?  Do we need to do Level 7?

Level 7 takes kids up to high school level spelling, so yes, I'd say that you probably want it. It definitely made a difference for my kids. Here's a link to an overview of what 7 covers, as well as the sample TM. 

Originally the author thought there would be 6 levels, so maybe that's where you got that idea? When 6 was written,  however, the author realized that there were too many concepts to fit in just one book, so there ended up being 7 levels. It's definitely not an "extra," but a continuation from where 6 left off, to finish the series. 

HTH some!

Level 7 takes kids up to high school level spelling, so yes, I'd say that you probably want it. It definitely made a difference for my kids. Here's a link to an overview of what 7 covers, as well as the sample TM. 

Originally the author thought there would be 6 levels, so maybe that's where you got that idea? When 6 was written,  however, the author realized that there were too many concepts to fit in just one book, so there ended up being 7 levels. It's definitely not an "extra," but a continuation from where 6 left off, to finish the series. 

HTH some!

Thank you Merry for your reply!  I had wondered why there was another level but never really thought about it until now when we are on level 6.

You mentioned that level 7 is high school level - will that be a problem for a 5th grader?  My dd11 has done very well so far and at the rate she is moving through lately, we will be in level 7 by spring.

Thank you Merry for your reply!  I had wondered why there was another level but never really thought about it until now when we are on level 6.

You mentioned that level 7 is high school level - will that be a problem for a 5th grader?  My dd11 has done very well so far and at the rate she is moving through lately, we will be in level 7 by spring.

Likely not, it's just the "next step." If she's mastered what came before, I'd just keep going. I've heard kids of all ages finishing the program (I will not be jealous of those with young super-spellers!). AAS uses all of the modern Ayers List words, which ranks words up to 12th grade, and uses words from some other lists which are ranked 9th-12th, but there are also things on there like working on -ance versus -ence endings, a few silent letters (like the mn combo for "autumn,"), the /zh/ sound as in television, /sh/ spelled ss or ssi (like compassion)--and then common foreign words (spaghetti) and some common Greek and Latin roots, which really opens up the number of words they can spell.

Ds is in fifth and almost done with AAS6 and I've also been waffling back and forth about moving on to do AAS7. I think we probably will do 7, but we'll probably take a break and I'll let him do some typing in the mean time.

I had to do that with my oldest because he finished 6 before 7 was ready. He always struggled with spelling, so one thing I did was have him type all of the dictations from level 2 on up for reinforcement (after he had basic keyboarding down). 

I had to do that with my oldest because he finished 6 before 7 was ready. He always struggled with spelling, so one thing I did was have him type all of the dictations from level 2 on up for reinforcement (after he had basic keyboarding down). 

Oh, I like that idea. He also has basic keyboarding down, but could really use some more practice. He's a natural speller (I really got AAS for his brother who is slogging through the first part of level 5 right now) so I'm not in a rush with it. He'd probably like trying that.

This is what we do as well. Actually, my boys handwrite the dictations for Level 2 and Levels 3+ are typed.

This is a truly inspired idea:)

I have a very young speller who, in all likelyhood, will complete level 7 before summer. I plan to take the summer off from spelling, and she wants to do spelling bee prep work next fall. So far she just seems to internalize all the rules, and can identify the applicable rule if I purposely misspell a word, but I have been brainstorming future ideas since her output and potential for using all of the words she spells regularly will most likely be limited for awhile.

She wants to do keyboarding as an official subject next year, so it would be a perfect and natural addition to have her type all of the dictation sentences for typing practice--without making her feel like I was adding in unnecessary review:)