Menu

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Jean in Newcastle

Ds17 wanted me to ask for your recipes for a grilled cheese sandwich.  He's on a quest for the perfect grilled cheese.

Today's recipe:

Two slices of white bread

Two slices of medium cheddar

Chopped red onion

dash of basil

thin slice of large tomato

small amount of an extra sharp white cheddar

It was constructed the normal way with buttered bread on a griddle.  

I'm boring. Not a big fan of grilled cheese but when I have one it's just butter on whole wheat with a slice of colby/jack and a slice of muenster. If I have some garlic butter already made up I'll use that instead of plain butter. I don't like extra stuff in my grilled cheese. Dh likes his with sweet pickle relish. Ds1 likes his with pepperoni. Dd prefers quesadillas--tortilla vs bread. Ds2 thinks grilled cheese is gross.

My dd likes traditionalkraftslices american cheese with ham and a little mayo on whatever bread we have

I like deli sliced mozzerella with basil leave and use olive oil instead of butter on pepperidge farm thin sliced bread

I usually have several kinds of sliced cheese in the fridge so sometimes it's co-jack, mozzeralla, provolone and perhaps swiss in any combination with a little guldens spicy mustard dash of pepper on whatever bread we have.

My all time favorite is kraft slices, thin sliced tomato a little mayo on buttered whatever bread

I like mine plain Jane:

2 pieces of white bread, mostly frozen (so you can spread the butter)

Butter

1 slice American cheese

Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. Put buttered since of one piece on griddle, place cheese on that, put the other piece on, butter side up. Grill until one side is browned, flip until other side is browned and cheese is melted.

Not your healthiest meal choice, but tastes good on a cold day with cream of tomato soup!

No butter.

Gotta go simple -- just plain sandwich bread with cheese. You must squish it with a spatula when grilling so that it is super-flat. :lol:  (Yes, my aunt made them for me that way in a sandwich press when I was a kid & I still like really squished grilled cheese sandwiches.) And, I hate to say it because I'm a fan of 'good' cheese & 'good' bread, but for a basic grilled cheese like this, I want the single-wrap Kraft American slices & a loaf of white sandwich bread like Merita.

If you're feeling a little fancy, you can add tomato slices.

We have grilled cheese every monday night.  We're pretty boring though.  Just bread buttered on the outside with Kraft Deli Deluxe slices (must use 2 per sandwich)  My eldest like 2 slices of clausen pickles in the middle with the cheese.  DH likes bacon.  All of us dip them in ketchup though.

I'm kind of partial to Baby Swiss, but any good sharp cheddar, grated for ease of melting is good. I am GF, so I will use Udi's, but I've taken to melting the butter in the cast iron skillet first, and then putting the sandwich in, with an early flip to coat both sides with butter so it doesn't get soaked up. Udi's is bad about that.

The key, though, has to be what I put on the sandwich after--if I use cheddar, the topping will always be a thin layer of honey from my girls. If Swiss, honey is good, but raspberry or strawberry jelly goes on the bread. It's awesome. 

Barefoot Contessa's version

he can google it but my ds loves this one.....

2 TBLES MAYO, 1 TBLES Parmesan, 1 tsp spicy mustard. Mix well...it makes a thick mixture....heavily butter bread ( any good bread will do but, you know, not store bought---LOL ok that was the Contessa's comment....I totally use store bought bread).put mixture inside butter bread....add some shredded cheese and some crumbled bacon......toast in hot pan....to me that is the secret to a good grilled cheese.....a hot pan to brown the bread properly.....but not too hot that the cheese won't melt befor bread burns.

Yum.

There are a lot of good ways to go with a grilled cheese recipe.  

One variation that hasn't gotten much mention yet is to do buttered outside, jam and pickles inside, with cheese of your choice (white cheddar, perhaps), and a layer or two of thinly sliced ham.  Once grilled, let cool for a few minutes, then slice into dipping strips with the turner and dip into ranch or caesar dressing.

You're welcome. ;)

There are a lot of good ways to go with a grilled cheese recipe.  

One variation that hasn't gotten much mention yet is to do buttered outside, jam and pickles inside, with cheese of your choice (white cheddar, perhaps), and a layer or two of thinly sliced ham.  Once grilled, let cool for a few minutes, then slice into dipping strips with the turner and dip into ranch or caesar dressing.

You're welcome. ;)

OMG that sounds disgusting.

No offense. :lol:

I am so going to try some of these!

We just grilled plain wheat bread that's buttered, with American cheese inside. Now we use cheddar.

You sparked a memory--We used to have a Mickey Mouse press that was so cute--I remember using it to make grilled cheese for my son's 5th birthday party (he had a Peter Pan party...so we had a bit of a Disney thing going on).