Menu

Obama's speech tonight... Thoughts?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Convention did what is was intended: to pump up the volume and excite the Democratic party. The backdrop of the White House exterior to allow the viewer to envision Obama as the next President was brilliant. The "average folks" stories, and the sound bite of Barney Smith/Smith Barney were motivational.

Barrack Obama's speech lacked substance, though. It was as if he had a checklist of issues which need to be addressed and he spoke a couple sentences on each topic, then on to the next. How can he possibly get all Americans equal health care (is that really a God given right?), improve education, ensure Social Security to the next generations, give every college student $4000 toward tuition, give 95% of Americans tax breaks, etc? Is all of this coming from the other 5% of American's taxes?

His speech was exciting. Fireworks, White House backdrop, music, tears, color-coordinated family clothing. It had everything. Except substance.

But I'm watching the commentary following the speech, and Chris Matthews is interviewing Jesse Jackson.......has he had a stroke? Maybe I"m not remembering his voice, but his speech seems to be affected somehow. Did I miss it? Has he been unwell?

I hope not........

Astrid

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember hearing some rumors about him having Parkinson's Disease. I should go google that, but I need to get away from the computer.

I see the "but how is he going to pay for it" idea repeated a lot here. It's interesting, because of course we had a big surplus under Clinton, yet we're worse off than ever in that department after 8 years of a Republican administration. I don't think Republicans will get much mileage out of painting Democrats as the fiscally irresponsible party this year. Indeed that's one of the big reasons so many mainstream Republicans are disillusioned with the party. If McCain wants to take that approach, he's really going to have to strongly disassociate himself from Bush in a way he seems so far to be unwilling to do. Obama did say in his speech last night that "every dime is accounted for" and mentioned cutting unnecessary spending and closing tax loopholes for corporations. More details, once again, are in the hundreds of pages of proposals on his website. (I'm not sure if people are looking for a power point presentation at Mile High Stadium or what). Now. Is it all going to work out just the way he says? Is he going to get into office and the next day implement a Democratic utopia? Of course not. This is how people run for president. They lay out the best case scenario. But it's simply not true that he doesn't present a plan for paying for his proposals. And, of course, ending the war in Iraq would be a pretty big money saver in and of itself.

Just a comment on the request for substance in a speech. I've written speeches for executives and public hearings, etc. A twenty minute speech is only a few printed out pages. For any big issue in America, you just can't cover details and substance in even a fairly long speech. It's like watching tv news--you can get the outline and the basic info, but if you really want in-depth, you need to go to the newspapers or magazines or thoughtful websites.

That's why we have our kids read the book, not only watch the movie, right?

Both candidates have websites that fully explain their stand on many things, if you want to know substance.

Also, I would add from my years of working in Washington, that the President LEADS the nation and the government, he/she doesn't run every detail. As one of my policy professors put it years ago, one of the most important things the President needs to do is attract good people who will give up what they're doing and work for him/her. The 250 or so appointments the President makes are what really run the country. The other most important thing is the President's ability to lead, inspire and articulate a vision.

Danielle

I found it high on style points but low on substance. He speaks that he is the "agent of change" yet I heard only re-treaded policy ideas. If your employer won't give you healthcare, that's ok...the government will. If you know the government will provide insurance, what's the incentive for employers?

I also think taxes will increase. My husband owns his own business and usually employes 25-40 people. I heard nothing in his speech to indicate that his policies will not put an even greater tax burden on the small business owner even though small business employ the majority of Americans.

Bottom line: I am always troubled by any candidate that speaks of bigger government.

I am still so undecided my head is spinning.

And yes, I was touched from just reading the excerpt from his speech that someone posted. I heard only the last couple of minutes of his speech, and at the end I thought "There stands the next President." It's a great story, a beautiful picture. It should be perfect. He should be a shoe-in. There is a special place in my heart for biracial kids (;))

But he worries me. Because every now and then he says something like this

More of you have cars you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t afford to drive, credit card bills you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t afford to pay,

and it worries me. I understand that this is the case for many, many of us. And I empathize because I have been there. I understand. But I never, ever thought that it was the government's responsibility to keep me out of poverty. When we bought a car we couldn't afford, it wasn't the government's job to make sure we kept the car. They didn't force us to buy it. We could've bought something cheaper but we chose not to. When we were drowning...drowning in credit card debt I never once thought that the government needed to step in. We chose to eat out. We chose to buy things and take trips that we couldn't afford. Now I do know that many people accumulate cc debt for other reasons than ours, better reasons like illness, unemployment, legal problems, etc. I don't know what to do about that.

Okay, I just deleted another paragraph because this was getting too wordy. Anyway, I understand that Americans are struggling and in need of help. I want to help them. It just makes me a little nervous when I hear the would-be President say things that sound like it's the government's duty help us afford expensive cars and pay down credit card debt. And I just want to know: where does personal responsibility come into play?

Please don't think that this means I'm anti-Obama and pro-McCain. I don't know what I am, seriously. I will enter that voting booth with fear and trembling because I sense that this is maybe the most important election of my voting life and I have concerns about both candidates.

Is this really the guy that flubbed up at the Saddleback Forum? I've said it before -- he does better scripted.

I disagree w/ him on so many levels. Dh & I are watching this and scratching our heads in wonder.

Lots of pie-in-the-sky and not much substance, imho.

My ears perked up when he talked about reducing the capital gains for small businesses. That, I'd like to see. But I doubt he -- or the Dem-controlled Congess -- would/could follow through on that promise.

Lots of flowery speech:

"We cannot turn back. We cannot walk alone."

Then he ends w/ Scripture:

"Hold firmly without wavering to the hope we profess."

I've heard it all.

What say you??

I am not sure how he flubbed up at Saddleback, with the exception of the "not my pay grade" comment. And that comment was not one bit worse than McCain's "middle class ends at 5 million" comment. So they both lost a point there. Other than that I thought he was very sincere in the Saddleback Forum.

I think most people want the acceptance speech to be flowery and maybe a little pie in the sky. This is the Democrat's party. This is their moment in the sun. The floor is filled with exhausted Dems who are living on caffeine and adrenline, I don't think they want to listen to number crunching and such. That comes later.

Next comes the Republican's party and their pie in the sky moment and then everyone better get down to business.

My first thought was that there was no fire in his eyes, ever, during the speech.

He made a lot of promises that I don't think he can keep.

He really hit home for me that he believes whoe-heartedly in redistribution of wealth. Tax the rich and give it to the poor.

I also don't like the tax rebate for American countries to hire American workers. Before you get your pitchforks hear me out. I'm still congitating on this. If you give a "rebate" it's after the fact. That means the company has to put out the up front money and trust that the rebate will be coming. Even if the rebate comes, it's how ever far down the road. I like the idea of some kind of incentive for hiring American workers. I just haven't thought of how it could be done. I'm NOT in favor of extra taxes for those that go overseas. They are going overseas not only for cheaper labor, but for a better tax structure. The tax burden on businesses in America is huge.

Those are my thoughts. BTW, I can believe Michelle Obama didn't stand up when he introduced her and everyone was giving her a standing ovation. Everytime she opens her mouth she says something monumentally wrong. I've listen to her and gone "yeah, that's right" and as soon as it's out of my mouth she says something so totally wrong it's insane!

BTW, this was the frist Obama speech I've watched in it's entirety. I tend not to get involved until the candidates are set because that's really all I have a vote on, even though I vote in the primaries. That vote can be overturned by the stupid delegates.

When he said that, I nodded because I took it to mean, "I'm not God. This question is bigger than me" But most people heard it differently than I.

I took it that he was saying he is not a theologian nor is he a scientist, so he is not qualified to answer the question.

As Peggy Noonan said, ask any kid who has ever bought a condom when life begins.

Those kids aren't theologians or scientists either, and look at that -- they've figured it out all on their ownsome.

It was a cop-out on Obama's behalf; he took the easy way out, which I thought was out of character for him.

I am still so undecided my head is spinning.

That's me. Oh, and his speech brought tears to my eyes, unashamedly. Long time Republican eyes at that. I felt proud, just plain proud.

I remember 4 yrs. ago in the polling booth, flipping between the Rep. and Dem. pages in the ballot. I did not want Bush, but I couldn't force that hand to punch the card for a Democrat. Leaving his speech aside, I find myself aligning much more closely with Obama. I'll continue with research. I want to be prepared in November.

The speech = GREAT. But a speech doesn't make a president. If I vote for him, it will be based on his principles and his stand on issues that are important for me.

Janet

I am not sure how he flubbed up at Saddleback, with the exception of the "not my pay grade" comment.

I wasn't thinking of the pay-grade comment. That was just a cop-out. He flubbed up by not answering questions directly, w/ fortitude and conviction. He had a lot of "uh, uh, uh" -- not very presidential imho.

But a speech doesn't make a president. If I vote for him, it will be based on his principles and his stand on issues that are important for me.

Absolutely true. You know what does it for me, though? The fact that he can write a speech like that. (And I know that other writers helped on this particular one.) That he has a brain and uses it for a living. I just get goosebumps thinking about that.

Anybody catch Charlie Rose's two guests, former law classmates of Sen. Obama's, last night? It was interesting to hear their endorsement and enthusiasm.

BTW, I can believe Michelle Obama didn't stand up when he introduced her and everyone was giving her a standing ovation. Everytime she opens her mouth she says something monumentally wrong. I've listen to her and gone "yeah, that's right" and as soon as it's out of my mouth she says something so totally wrong it's insane!

Joe Biden stayed seated during his ovation as well.

I suppose if they'd stood someone would have complained they had delusions of grandeur.

I wasn't thinking of the pay-grade comment. That was just a cop-out. He flubbed up by not answering questions directly, w/ fortitude and conviction. He had a lot of "uh, uh, uh" -- not very presidential imho.

He was thinking. Thinking and speaking. No well-rehearsed anecdotes to plug in here and there. Thoughtful answers.

For me, I want that in a president.

I also think taxes will increase. My husband owns his own business and usually employes 25-40 people. I heard nothing in his speech to indicate that his policies will not put an even greater tax burden on the small business owner even though small business employ the majority of Americans.

Here is the pertinent section from last nights speech by Mr Obama:

I will eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and the start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow.

I will cut taxes -- cut taxes -- for 95 percent of all working families. Because in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle-class.

Bill

Dh and I are both very conservative Republicans.....well....I am Independent and a bit more liberal than dh when it comes to politics.

We were both very impressed by Obama's speech last night. We liked what he had to say and while there were points we disagreed with, we found that we agreed with a lot of what he had to say. Hmmm.

And, I think his family is just precious. I like that his wife doesn't always say or do the "right" thing. As a pastor's wife, people expect so much more out of me than I have to give and I appreciate the fact that Michelle Obama is real. She just is who she is.

I find them both refreshingly different. That's what I like.

I'm still an undecided voter, but, wow! I was impressed last night.

This is what I didn't like:

This country is more generous than one where a man in Indiana has to pack up the equipment heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s worked on for twenty years and watch it shipped off to China, and then chokes up as he explains how he felt like a failure when he went home to tell his family the news.
We are not generous because of this? That tweaked me.

He didn't tell the full story so I wasn't totally clear if he meant entrepreneurs or employees. Entrepreneurs take risks, that's why they get paid better when a business thrives. If he was talking about employees, then the fact that some of us believe in a free-market economy doesn't make us lacking in generosity. Our country promises the 'pursuit' of happiness, business changes will happen. Exactly how many times do we have the government pass legislation to prevent individual job losses before our country goes in the tank? Blame the business that didn't change with the global economy and not the government. But if you do want the government to do something about it then you have to let businesses be competitive or as Obama called it, "give more and more to those with the most and hope that prosperity trickles down to everyone else." You can't have it both ways.

We are more compassionate than a government that lets veterans sleep on our streets and families slide into poverty; that sits on its hands while a major American city drowns before our eyes.
No one loved the destruction of New Orleans but few people have really given much thought to how the restructuring of FEMA after 9/11 affected this. (OK, is it effect or affect - always confusing) It was their first major disaster after this - there were tons of problems but that doesn't mean uncaring. So, I think 'sits on their hands' is just inflammatory. When he said "we are more compassionate" this came across to me to say, we should be have more compassionate but we just weren't. I don't believe in separating myself from government when I am ultimately responsible for voting that government into power, so apparently (despite all my prayers during that time,) I'm just not compassionate.

For those who didn't get my O'Reilly reference: I believe O'Reilly has clearly made the case that those suffering from mental illness and with drug addictions routinely refuse help. (I'm paraphrasing him for sure.) So, again it is inflammatory to say the we our 'letting' our veterans sleep on the streets.

I guess I should restate my original problem with it, maybe he wasn't ridiculing our country but he sure sounded like he was ridiculing me.

Here is the pertinent section from last nights speech by Mr Obama:

I will eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and the start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow.

I will cut taxes -- cut taxes -- for 95 percent of all working families. Because in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle-class.

Bill

Thanks for including this, Bill.

The real question is: What does he consider middle class? My hard-working small business family is considered "rich" by Obama's standards. What does that do for us? Why punish us for working hard and long to get our business where it is today? I see more taxes and red tape if Obama wins.

Another question: How is he going to pay for all his promises?

When he said that, I nodded because I took it to mean, "I'm not God. This question is bigger than me" But most people heard it differently than I.

I can go with that benefit of the doubt.:)

On the other hand, I am getting so tired of people twisting the $5 million comment from McCain (by the way, I'm not a McCain fan and am considering not voting for president for the first time). It was obviously a joke! Yet it continues to be taken out of context all over the place.

I wish people would quit latching onto things on both sides.

I can go with that benefit of the doubt.:)

On the other hand, I am getting so tired of people twisting the $5 million comment from McCain (by the way, I'm not a McCain fan and am considering not voting for president for the first time). It was obviously a joke! Yet it continues to be taken out of context all over the place.

I wish people would quit latching onto things on both sides.

"People" meaning Sen. Obama for one? Yeah, that's getting annoying. It wasn't a great joke, though, considering, and he should have known better. But I'm certain he knows full well that $5M is not the dividing line for middle class.

(This is the part of the forum where I wish *he* had said, "Umm, uh..." and thought about his answer for two seconds, though. Instead of just speaking the first thought that came into his head.)

Joe Biden stayed seated during his ovation as well.

I suppose if they'd stood someone would have complained they had delusions of grandeur.

'

I didn't see Biden, I wasn't in the room for the first few minutes.

Everytime I've seen someone being publicly recognized they stood, smiled and sometimes gave a little wave. It's a recognition of being recognized. It's saying, "Thanks for your recognition!".

Wow! Too many recognitions! Anybody have a thesaurus?:tongue_smilie:

Bill

He's going to cut taxes by giving rebates. He's going to get the money for rebates by taxing the rich. They earned their money same as I earned my money. They should share their money out of the goodness of their heart, as many do, not because the government takes it away from them.

'

Everytime I've seen someone being publicly recognized they stood, smiled and sometimes gave a little wave. It's a recognition of being recognized. It's saying, "Thanks for your recognition!".

I thought so many people were leaning over Mrs. Obama and what with her dd pulling on her (I thought), it seemed that it would be terribly hard and awkward to stand. It thought it humble of both of them to sit it out.

Either way, though, they can't win. Too arrogant if they stand, too arrogant if they sit. Hard to live in a fishbowl.

'

I'm pretty sure that others have remained seated when given ovations this past week. Both Clintons, Michelle Obama during Hilary's speech, Biden during Clintons' speeches. It seems that the audience will stand and applaud and the person being recognized will wave and nod, but not rise. That's been my observation anyway. I suppose it's like not joining in the applause when others clap for you.

Jami

I'm pretty sure that others have remained seated when given ovations this past week. Both Clintons, Michelle Obama during Hilary's speech, Biden during Clintons' speeches. It seems that the audience will stand and applaud and the person being recognized will wave and nod, but not rise. That's been my observation anyway. I suppose it's like not joining in the applause when others clap for you.

Jami

You are correct in your observation.

"People" meaning Sen. Obama for one? Yeah, that's getting annoying. It wasn't a great joke, though, considering, and he should have known better. But I'm certain he knows full well that $5M is not the dividing line for middle class.

Well, yes, he is using it and did last night.:) C'mon, he does know that it was a joke (even if it was a bad one), right? The fact that he would use it to show that McCain "doesn't get it" is disingenuous (sp?) to me.

I went back and read the transcript of the Saddleback forum and it is completly and totally obvious in the context that he was not serious about rich being anything over $5 million but it's brought up over and over again to make him sound like he's out of touch with reality. I suppose he was a prophet when he said, "But seriously, I don't think you can - I don't think seriously that - the point is that I'm trying to make here, seriously -- and I'm sure that comment will be distorted -- but the point is that we want to keep people's taxes low and increase revenues. "

At any rate, I though Obama did well last night even though I will not vote for him. I really do appreciate that he seems almost totally void of ad hominem attack. I find that very refreshing. I think he exudes a feeling of calm and I understand why that is so appealing.

I thought so many people were leaning over Mrs. Obama and what with her dd pulling on her (I thought), it seemed that it would be terribly hard and awkward to stand. It thought it humble of both of them to sit it out.

Either way, though, they can't win. Too arrogant if they stand, too arrogant if they sit. Hard to live in a fishbowl.

Jami

I guess I'm just old-fashioned. I believe that people being publicly recognized should stand and say thanks. It is a big honor and just sitting there and nodding isn't really a thanks.

BTW, I agree with the fish bowl comment. It must be horribly hard to be in the spotlight all the time. Of course, she signed up for it when she married Obama and agreed to stand by him in his politics. That means she should learn to deal with it, which she probably is.

He's going to cut taxes by giving rebates. He's going to get the money for rebates by taxing the rich. They earned their money same as I earned my money. They should share their money out of the goodness of their heart, as many do, not because the government takes it away from them.

He might try to give businesses rebates. Not that he's *going* to. Congress has a bit of a say here.

And speaking of hard earned money -- the child tax credit McCain is proposing (and please know that I said *proposing* -- it's not something that Will Be Done) just floors me. Where is that money coming from? Money for businesses, I can see. Money (more of it, that is, as there's already a ton) for college for vets, I can sorta see. Money for having more kids in your family? Um, I don't even like the child credit I get right now. $7K per kid? How?? That's a new car. I don't want the government to give me the equivalent in a new car every year. That's insane. Is he proposing borrowing this money? Where is it coming from?

I sure hope that one gets laughed right off the floor. Candidate McCain resembles [the former] Senator McCain not one bit. I just shake my head. Trying to clear it I guess.

Am I the only person who is scared out of her ever lovin' mind of tax increases? DH makes a good income, but we make so many sacrifices for him to do so. I'm a single parent M-F. He travels often and works 7am-often times 10pm, and works most weekends. We are not "rich", but live a good lifestyle available b/c of dh's efforts. We don't drive new cars or cars we can't afford. Nor do we have credit card debt. We don't get to take the child tax credit for our five kids. But should we have to pay more in taxes to distribute wealth to the less monetarily fortunate?

Our lives will be negatively impacted with a democrat in office. I don't believe in big government. Never have (even when I lived on kool aid and leftovers from waitressing job) and never will.

I'm making myself sick from stressing about this upcoming election. I really dread it. :sad:

Am I the only person who is scared out of her ever lovin' mind of tax increases? DH makes a good income, but we make so many sacrifices for him to do so. I'm a single parent M-F. He travels often and works 7am-often times 10pm, and works most weekends. We are not "rich", but live a good lifestyle available b/c of dh's efforts. We don't drive new cars or cars we can't afford. Nor do we have credit card debt. We don't get to take the child tax credit for our five kids. But should we have to pay more in taxes to distribute wealth to the less monetarily fortunate?

Our lives will be negatively impacted with a democrat in office. I don't believe in big government. Never have (even when I lived on kool aid and leftovers from waitressing job) and never will.

I'm making myself sick from stressing about this upcoming election. I really dread it. :sad:

......but of four more years of a Republican White House. So I guess it balances out for us, hmmmm? :D:lol:

All Best,

Astrid

......but what I'm scared of is four more years of a Republican in the White House! So I guess it balances out for us, hmmm? :D:lol:

All Best,

Astrid

:iagree:. So much of what I heard in Obama's speech was making me think "where's the money, Barack?" I know he said something about "going through the budget line by line and eliminating those programs that don't work and making those that do work better" so is he proposing to actually cut spending or spend more....ambiguous IMO. He speaks of "giving every child a world class education" ...that takes money (or else everyone is going to homeschool:D) and providing the same health care that Congress gives to themselves for everyone in the US ....even illegals? (he didn't specify, that is my question)...that takes money. Sure, none of us want to remain dependent of middle East oil, and I am all for investing in new technologies...if they make economic sense as well...which solar and wind have yet to do, besides the face they require huge tracts of land resulting in a greater environmental impact...and that takes money.

I could go on and on, I already have. I don't want bigger government. I also live in already overtaxed state and I don't want my taxes raised. I don't care what Obama said about cutting taxes as all of his ideas will lead to tax increases in some way eventually.

We all need to tighten our belts these days and the government should be the leaders on this.

I generally don't say much about politics on this board, but I have been wondering about this as well. Where's the money going to come from?

He has all these grand ideas. But it all adds up to big government and a lot of money. How can he propose all of this AND tax cuts? I think in the end it would come to...sorry folks I was wrong and we will all have to come together now for the country...more taxes. :001_huh:

(yea, I know. Grammer is a mess. This is more conversational tone)

As has been well noted the very wealthy pay a smaller percentage of their income in taxes than the people who work for them. No one is talking about expropriating the property of the wealthy, but what's wrong with correcting this inequality?

Bill

Thanks for including this, Bill.

The real question is: What does he consider middle class? My hard-working small business family is considered "rich" by Obama's standards. What does that do for us? Why punish us for working hard and long to get our business where it is today? I see more taxes and red tape if Obama wins.

Another question: How is he going to pay for all his promises?

If you are rich by his standards, then I want to say that as a person in a household that currently brings in annually less than a tenth of the minimum you must be making, I am VERY sorry that this administration allocated so much of your money to my family in child tax credits. You did not sign up to support my children. I would have thought long and hard about having children in the first place had I known that eventually, other people's money would be helping feed and clothe them. That's not how we wanted it to be.

We tried to opt out of this one year, only to be sent a revised tax statement and a great big check. I'm afraid we went ahead and sighed and cashed it. Messing with taxes (what they say you owe, what they say you get) just scares me.

Didn't watch. I honestly don't really see much reason to watch, for either candidate. As far as being swayed to vote for someone because of a speech... that's not going to happen for me. Obama and his team have spent weeks and weeks crafting this speech, being careful to shape every word to give off exactly the impression they want to present to the audience. McCain will do the same thing next week. That's not proof of who they really are, no matter how passionately and convincingly they deliver the speech.

It strikes me as slightly odd to hear of people deciding to vote for Obama *because of* that speech.... there are so many significant differences between McCain and Obama, so many objective reasons to choose either one over the other, based on fact and experience, depending on one's own ideas and vision for government and for America. Their voting records are very, very different, and should be carefully considered. There's so much on which to base one's decision in this important election... the polished delivery of one speech should be barely a blip on the radar, imo.

Erica

I am glad that I read through the responses before answering because Erica said, quite perfectly, what I was thinking.

Anyone can read an inspiring speech from a telepromptor. I am really not that impressed with Obama. I have heard him speak without the benefit of the telepromptor and a speech writing team and it left me puzzled. He is not nearly as charasmatic without the benefit of technology.