Menu

Best Christmas presents EVER

fruitofthewomb

My other thread has me thinking about this-what has been the best present you have ever gotten your kids? I am thinking in terms of 1) the immediate reaction 2) long term use/quality/value etc.

Include your kids age at the time.

So far for me:

When my older girls were 4 & 6 they received American Girl dolls from a real life 'Santa' (a generous family friend who insisted they go under the tree from the big guy). 3 years later they are still in great shape, well loved, & frequently played with.

As I mentioned in my other thread-when oldest dd was 3 we bought the Loving Family dollhouse. Still in use today (6 yrs later) and has held up very well.

Play kitchen was another winner. Along with books.

Ok-your turn!

Toys? Not one. My kids have never played with toys. Not even the much beloved (on WTM) Legos (waste of money at my house).

Cardboard boxes, laundry baskets, and towels were big though. Not really gift worthy though.

Grandma is the gift winner - iDevices. Most long term use so far.

The Melissa & Doug easel (chalkboard on one side, whiteboard on the other, roll of paper, tray for paint cups) has been in use for I think four years now. The height adjusts. Well done, grandma!

Wooden cut-apart fruit, too, was used for a long time.

Rokenbok starting at age 4 (3 years ago). It gets added to each year and there are screams and squeals at new arrivals. Ds plays with it every single day. He even writes stories about it.

A very close second is our wooden train set, which is also played with daily. Ds makes his own buildings for it and it has become a huge city spread out over my bedroom floor.

Play kitchen with the wooden food with velcro to cut it apart

Marble runs and domino run sets - these have all been combined

Play silks

Fort kit that I made 2 years ago gets lots of use still

Playmobil & Lego

Art supplies

Keva Planks  

For my girls it was the Loving family doll house they each got for Christmas when they were 3.  They got more pieces for birthdays and Christmas and played with those things daily for about 10 years.

Son loved Legos but the biggest hit was x box.......but mom prefers legos

Magnatiles (not a Christmas present, but a birthday present)

Archiquest Blocks

... really, all blocks and building sets received (Legos included)

AG dolls (DD received them when she was too old for them to be USED for years to come - I think around 10/11 - but even at 13, they have a place of honor in her bedroom, and I find her brushing their hair or without new outfits on, lol)

Well.. Not toys. None of my kids have ever really been toy kids. Not even when they were little. They have always loved their gadgets though. From way back, over 20 years ago to the cassette player with microphone, to a Sega, to a Tamogotchi, to black and white game boy, scannerz, color game boy, Playstation 1, 2, and 3, CD players, iPods, Nintendo ds, Wii, Kindle, Ipad, cell phone. These are the the the things that have gotten used in the 25 years of parenting for me. I have bought Legos, doll houses, art kits, science kits, sports equipment, games, etc. most of that gets left alone. There are 3 toys that got used by one or more of my kids. Scooters (all 3 kids), a bike for my oldest and nerf guns for both my boys. The ony other things I can think of that genuinely got used were clothes, jewelry, and backpacks. Oh and food. Their favorite treat gets eaten.

1. It's so cliche, but honestly, Skylanders. Cliche because they made that whole commercial that was just kids screaming when they opened the box, but that's exactly what my kids did. I should have filmed it. They could have been in the ad.

2. Probably Rat-a-Tat-Cat. It was such a cheap little game but we played it nearly daily for two years. They've nearly outgrown it, but we still play it sometimes. It's been to Africa and Paris and Las Vegas and all the grandparents' houses. It was just a staple of our game play for so long.

My other thread has me thinking about this-what has been the best present you have ever gotten your kids? I am thinking in terms of 1) the immediate reaction 2) long term use/quality/value etc.

Include your kids age at the time.

So far for me:

When my older girls were 4 & 6 they received American Girl dolls from a real life 'Santa' (a generous family friend who insisted they go under the tree from the big guy). 3 years later they are still in great shape, well loved, & frequently played with.

As I mentioned in my other thread-when oldest dd was 3 we bought the Loving Family dollhouse. Still in use today (6 yrs later) and has held up very well.

Play kitchen was another winner. Along with books.

Ok-your turn!

Good to know as my 3 yr. old is getting the loving family dollhouse this year!

Toys? Not one. My kids have never played with toys. Not even the much beloved (on WTM) Legos (waste of money at my house).

Cardboard boxes, laundry baskets, and towels were big though. Not really gift worthy though.

I hear you. Toys in general don't get played with here. Why do I then spend all kinds of money every Christmas thinking I'll finally find something that'll get played with? Sigh. I have a Discovery Toys huge marble run from last year sitting in a bin if anyone is looking for one. Are some kids just programmed to not play with toys? We don't have an overabundance either and it baffles me.

I hear you. Toys in general don't get played with here. Why do I then spend all kinds of money every Christmas thinking I'll finally find something that'll get played with? Sigh. I have a Discovery Toys huge marble run from last year sitting in a bin if anyone is looking for one. Are some kids just programmed to not play with toys? We don't have an overabundance either and it baffles me.

I don't know but what are they doing with their free time? I would cater to that although I would limit screen time. I have found my kids don't play with toys when screens are an option or being overused. It seems to suck their creativeness.

I don't know. Actually, I think part of it is the open-endedness of boxes and baskets. Maybe. Legos are pretty open-ended, so I don't know.

It's not an overabundance of screen time, they've just never really been interested in toys or "pretend" play (house, doctor, store, school, etc.), since baby and toddlerhood.

They do like to play stuff like board games, tag, and climb trees though, so I'm not too terribly worried about it. ;)

2. Probably Rat-a-Tat-Cat. It was such a cheap little game but we played it nearly daily for two years. They've nearly outgrown it, but we still play it sometimes. It's been to Africa and Paris and Las Vegas and all the grandparents' houses. It was just a staple of our game play for so long.

Yay! This was purchased for a gift this year.

The complete set of Calvin and Hobbes. They were thrilled and many, many years later, I still catch them reading it when they are home.

My daughter still loves this set years after receiving it. I believe it is why she is such an avid reader in all areas. She stashes the big volumes of C&H all over - under her bed, under the couch, etc. :-)

when I was five - my grandfather bought me a sled.  we even had lots of snow that winter.

my dad made me a dollhouse when I was eight.  my girls played with it.

I bought a fisher price lawn mower for dudeling when he was two.  best $15 I ever spent.

last year, 1dd hugged - HUGGED - the kitchen aid mixer I bought her.

there have been others - toys are eventually overcome by bigger things.  we've had bigger things.

Top of the List...Skylanders. I hate to think how much money we have sunk into those darn characters but my kids have nearly all of them for all 4 versions of the game. They don't just use them for the game..they use them as action figures, they play with them in doll houses, they write stories and make books about them, they build them weapons out of Lego...the list goes on and on in the hundreds of ways they play with them...including my DD. I give into buying so many of them because of how much imaginative play my kids do with them. Going on 3 years now since they got the first one and its still the favourite gift above all else for Birthdays and Christmas.

..Duplo....My kids like regular Lego but love Duplo because they can build bigger and faster with it. They play daily with this along with the Skylanders.

...Hot Wheels cars...not as popular as the above two items but still come out a lot.

Trampoline and scooters are also used daily.

...Stuffed animals...mostly cats and dogs are the favoured ones here.

That is a fun game.  It was a big hit in our house, too.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm beginning to think this is true even for myself.

And really holding myself back from buying Legos/American Girl things (For me) because I know the iDevices and such get MUCH more actual use. Not just siting on the desk and looking pretty (After I get them out and put them together finally)

Growing up, I'd say the dollhouse and the Legos were the best gifts. Both in amount of time played with as a child and longevity (since I still have both)

We got a ping pong table last year and my boys are playing it as we speak.  Should be doing work,  but we will just say it is recess time.  Awesome gift.  iPads were also a huge hit a few years ago.  They are getting the Wii U this year.  They have been asking for Mario Kart 8 since like June.  

Top of the List...Skylanders. I hate to think how much money we have sunk into those darn characters but my kids have nearly all of them for all 4 versions of the game. They don't just use them for the game..they use them as action figures, they play with them in doll houses, they write stories and make books about them, they build them weapons out of Lego...the list goes on and on in the hundreds of ways they play with them...including my DD. I give into buying so many of them because of how much imaginative play my kids do with them. Going on 3 years now since they got the first one and its still the favourite gift above all else for Birthdays and Christmas.

..Duplo....My kids like regular Lego but love Duplo because they can build bigger and faster with it. They play daily with this along with the Skylanders.

...Hot Wheels cars...not as popular as the above two items but still come out a lot.

Trampoline and scooters are also used daily.

...Stuffed animals...mostly cats and dogs are the favoured ones here.

Good to know- my ds is getting sky landers for Christmas this year!

As a kid one time I got a box full of books. That was pretty awesome. Another time I got a huge box full of different papers, notecards, stamps, stickers, etc. I still remember that and I was probably only 8 or 9.

I handsewed a rag doll for this dd a couple of months after she was born.

A few years ago she desperately wanted and got, summer clothes for Ruby Rose.

Most of which I hand sewed also. Massively appreciated.

Last year I finally gave in to ongoing pressure and Ruby Rose got a new face for Christmas. I had resisted because I was afraid of changing the doll's character with a different expression as the old one had nearly worn off with love and washing.

This year the request from the girl becoming a woman is....

Please mend Ruby Rose from where the dog-we-sat mauled her and took out an arm (the one that hadn't been rebuilt) and part of her torso.

While I'm pleased this doll is so loved, I really hope Ruby Rose learns to take better care of herself if she wants to retain any original parts.

She has also spent all year using parts of this entomology set from last Christmas.

http://www.entosupplies.com.au/equipment/field/beginner-kits/insect-collecting-%26-mounting-starter-kit-no.1 

Last year, we gave "experiences" for Christmas instead of things, and it was great. We combined with my mom to give the whole family season passes to Dollywood. Then my dad gave the girls money specifically for skiing and my son money for baseball lessons. All of these gifts were big hits.

Before that, the biggest hits were probably a huge doll house we got used when oldest dd was 3. My middle dd (almost 12) still play with it frequently, and my ds sometimes pretends it's a pirate ship.

When oldest dd was in 2nd grade, we gave her tickets to see the Lipizzaner stallions. She was thrilled.