Menu

Schleich barn for Christmas-am I crazy?

fruitofthewomb

My girls love the Schleich horses & farm animals. I have bought them one or two here & there over the years. I am thinking of getting them the barn ($170) and/or horse stable ($144) for Christmas. It's so much $$ though! Is it crazy? I am sure it's quality & will last forever. Do any of you have it? Anyone want to talk me into it or out of it?

If I bought this it would severely limit any other gifts they get. But that isn't really a bad thing...

My girls love the Schleich horses & farm animals. I have bought them one or two here & there over the years. I am thinking of getting them the barn ($170) and/or horse stable ($144) for Christmas. It's so much $$ though! Is it crazy? I am sure it's quality & will last forever. Do any of you have it? Anyone want to talk me into it or out of it?

If I bought this it would severely limit any other gifts they get. But that isn't really a bad thing...

If it is affordable for you, I'd do it. I always would rather have quality over quantity.

If it was the ONLY thing under the tree, no. But that and a few other gifts? Sure.

I'm thinking about it too for my farm obsessed 7 yr. old. I definitely need to get him some kind of barn, but OUCH I can't get past the price. I've been looking for a similar less expensive barn but haven't found one yet that is comparable. Amazon had the horse stable for a lightning deal about a month ago, and I kicked myself for not getting it. My fingers are crossed that they'll put the barn up too but I'm starting to lose hope. If you ever see it on sale, please pm me or update this thread. My son eats, sleeps and breathes farm!

My daughter had the Maxim large barn/stable (gotten at a consignment sale. so used) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxim-Enterprise-Inc.-Grand-Stable-with-Corral-Block-Toy/15922394  It was very sturdy, put together with screws. Once she quit playing with horses, we disassembled it, took out the stalls, and put it back together to be a studio apartment for Barbie. Worked great! She wallpapered the walls with wrapping paper. It lasted for a number of years and then we passed it on to another family who is still using it.

I don't know if that stable is still available, but I can say that I considered something like this to be a great investment, even for one kid, but I did get it at used prices.

Would this be a possibility? http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1825990/maxim-red-gable-barn-with-side-stall-corral.jsp

My dd got the older stable as a gift from my parents. It was nice to have, but she plays with the animals more outside a building and uses wooden planks and blocks a lot more than the building. It's difficult for two children to play with animals inside the builidings, too. The buildings also take up a lot of room and aren't so easy to store.

I'd recommend getting wooden planks (Keva or Jenga blocks) and use these to make paddocks, sheds, field areas, etc. Then the wooden planks can be used for lots of other play, too.

Playmobil has a lot of less expensive horse sets with jumps, etc. that can be used with the Schleich horses.

My dd got the older stable as a gift from my parents. It was nice to have, but she plays with the animals more outside a building and uses wooden planks and blocks a lot more than the building. It's difficult for two children to play with animals inside the builidings, too. The buildings also take up a lot of room and aren't so easy to store.

I'd recommend getting wooden planks (Keva or Jenga blocks) and use these to make paddocks, sheds, field areas, etc. Then the wooden planks can be used for lots of other play, too.

This is how my children play too. They love horses and figures (Playmobil in our case), but would always prefer to set up their own temporary stable/paddock made by Magnatiles, blocks or Kapla planks over a ready-made building.

That said, I would have LOVED a stable like that as a child :-)!!

If money or space is tight, I would invest in the wooden blocks and then several more animals.  I agree that the kids love to build fences, stables, etc. out of the blocks for their animals and it is easier to let more kids play together...........and the blocks can be used with dolls, match box cars, any play figures, etc. so much more versatile.  We had both though as ds had the blocks and the girls got the barns years later.

I bought this last Christmas for my horse crazy then 6 year old...it was never played with! It is sitting in the play area taking up space. My girls would rather play with their horses around the house. Yours may love it, but I've found big things like that to not get much playtime. In fact, my other daughter got the playmobile mansion last year and I sold it on ebay:)

I would like to get something that they all will love & treasure. It's so hard to know what that will be! Kids are so finicky!

I will say that we have the Loving Family dollhouse & it has been used on & off for 6 years now. Definitely worth the cost! They do seem to play 'outside of it' more than actually setting up furniture inside.

I vote that the juice ain't worth the squeeze. For that amount it better be made of teak, come assembled, and have metal fixtures. Yikes. That said, if this is the toy you hold onto for the grand kids you probably won't regret the splurge. The fewer gifts thing is actually a plus in my book.

Like a previous poster mentioned, do consider WHERE your kids play. My kids tended to be near me on the main floor and no special toy was going to encourage them to spend more time in their rooms. I had to put their kitchen in MY kitchen before they really wanted to use it.

I'd love to get one for my dd as she plays obsessively with her animals... But I can't justify the cost for what it is. She generally uses her Sylvanian dolls house to keep her animals in and it doubles as a Sylvanian house and was basically half the price.

I also don't think the quality of some of the newer schleich animals is as high as the older ones and I'd worry that the barn wouldn't end up being the quality I'd expect.

Just out of curiousity because I wanted to see it, what is the difference (if any?) between this Schleich barn and the $170 one?

http://www.amazon.com/Schleich-Portable-Barn-with-Accessories/dp/B00KYSZP2G?SubscriptionId=AKIAIN5HK5BFVBOCQQZQ&tag=xxlsalecom-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00KYSZP2G&ascsubtag=XXL-Sale.com|Cj0KEQiAneujBRDcvL6f5uybhdABEiQA_ojMgqqFR8YSVdaBP9VSRWXKcFtrzV35E4FuZl1_2nDyuVoaAggO8

Just for fun-I have to show you all what my son is currently doing...using Keva blocks for his makeshift farm. He was also using Trio blocks and Tinker Toys but I couldn't handle the hundreds of pieces so I just boxed all of those up. Notice the wooden blocks as well...so ironic that you all are talking about how your kids do this too. The barns you see are small and cheap, which is why I'm considering upgrading like the OP. But now I'm wondering if it'd be a waste of money. Actually, he keeps asking for a milking parlor. Anyone know where I can get one of those? LOVE these farm loving kids!

ETA:Shoot, it says the file is too big and I don't know how to minimize it. Well that was anti- climatic. If anyone knows how to make the file smaller, I'll try to post it.

Just out of curiousity because I wanted to see it, what is the difference (if any?) between this Schleich barn and the $170 one?

http://www.amazon.com/Schleich-Portable-Barn-with-Accessories/dp/B00KYSZP2G?SubscriptionId=AKIAIN5HK5BFVBOCQQZQ&tag=xxlsalecom-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00KYSZP2G&ascsubtag=XXL-Sale.com|Cj0KEQiAneujBRDcvL6f5uybhdABEiQA_ojMgqqFR8YSVdaBP9VSRWXKcFtrzV35E4FuZl1_2nDyuVoaAggO8

After you posted this I took a close look at both & decided to go for the smaller, cheaper one. So thanks!!

Just for fun-I have to show you all what my son is currently doing...using Keva blocks for his makeshift farm. He was also using Trio blocks and Tinker Toys but I couldn't handle the hundreds of pieces so I just boxed all of those up. Notice the wooden blocks as well...so ironic that you all are talking about how your kids do this too. The barns you see are small and cheap, which is why I'm considering upgrading like the OP. But now I'm wondering if it'd be a waste of money. Actually, he keeps asking for a milking parlor. Anyone know where I can get one of those? LOVE these farm loving kids!

ETA:Shoot, it says the file is too big and I don't know how to minimize it. Well that was anti- climatic. If anyone knows how to make the file smaller, I'll try to post it.

Kids Globe makes 1:32 scale farm stuff, including a milking parlour, but it's all from the UK, so shipping may be prohibitive http://www.toyfarmers.co.uk/farmbuildings/cattle-sheds/wooden-cow-shed-with-milking-parlour.html

Brushwood Toys has some similar items, again, UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRUSHWOOD-BT2500-Rotary-Milking-Parlour/dp/B003DTFEHE

http://www.mcldirect.com/product-p/b10-b62621.htm 

In US, but not clear if it can be ordered online: 1:18 scale http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/new-ray-toys-country-life-dairy-cow-station-set-assorted/0000000210103

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/new-ray-toys-country-life-dairy-cow-station-set-assorted/0000000210103

http://www.toyfarmers.us/farmbuildings.html

We have the Schleich barn, large stables and castle. They are so well put together. We also had the Breyer stables -- fell apart almost instantaneously. Papo large castle -- super detailed, more so than the Schleich, but it is made of fiberboard and some tabs that hold it together broke off (fixed with blue). The Schleich toys just keep on going.

You might want yo look at Really Great Toys. When I spoke with the owner several years ago, he said they were the only U?S. Distributed with the complete Schleich line.mcheck out the prices -- small stable was $89 and large one was $106. Barn was still expensive though.

http://www.zulily.com/e/schleich-104277.html?pos=7&section=kids&sPos=4&tab=new-today&ns=ns_025095728|1417453086166

They have the 2 different Horse Stable sets, the rabbit pens and an Animal Nursery on sale right now.

Ah! Thanks! I didn't go far enough down. I am mobile only & no wifi :( makes shopping online difficult! Now I have to figure out amazons return policy ;)

Ah! Thanks! I didn't go far enough down. I am mobile only & no wifi :( makes shopping online difficult! Now I have to figure out amazons return policy ;)

What did you end up going with? You can probably cancel your amazon order if you just made it. I can't decide if I want to get the stable or not. I've only seen this price when amazon had it on their lightning deal and I'm tempted to buy it. But what my son really needs is the barn and I can't find that anywhere.

What did you end up going with? You can probably cancel your amazon order if you just made it. I can't decide if I want to get the stable or not. I've only seen this price when amazon had it on their lightning deal and I'm tempted to buy it. But what my son really needs is the barn and I can't find that anywhere.

I cancelled the stable from amazon & got it from zulily-shipping was $17 but total was still less than amazon. I also got the smaller barn from amazon that someone linked above.

These 2 things will be a joint gift to all 5 of my girls.

I wish the big barn had been available from zulily. That is just a lot of $$.