Menu

Whitworth University Visit

GoodGrief

I got a request to post my thoughts on Whitworth University in Spokane after our recent tour there.  We also visited Gonzaga, and did a drivethrough of Washington State in Pullman, though did not tour there.

At Whitworth, we sat through a presentation by admissions and did a student-led tour.  We were the only ones touring that day.

The admissions presentation was a nice overview of their philosophy.  They emphasized their small size and "Mind and Heart" mission.  There is no particular faith/belief requirement for admission, and though they offer chapel twice-weekly, attendance is not mandatory.  Their average SAT score was on the lowish side, 1700s (can't recall specific number) and they are actually test-optional (I can't recall what could be submitted in lieu of the SAT.  It may have been an interview.)  There is a fairly high freshman retention rate, I believe it was 89% and a high 4 year grad rate.  Many opportunities for study abroad, and volunteer work is encouraged.  There are a couple of full scholarships available via the Honors program, and it sounds like just about everyone gets tuition discounting in some form.

Though Spokane itself has a high-ish crime rate, Whitworth's corner appears fairly clean and safe, and the stats bear that out.  It's definitely a suburban feel there.  The campus itself is compact, and easily covered by walking.  There are about 2500 students.  It does appear that a vehicle would be useful for getting around town, but not essential.

We went in one dorm, and the atmosphere was warm and inviting, with nightly activities scheduled in the common area.  "Puppy Night" was scheduled for that particular evening, which sounded more pleasant than the upcoming "Pie in the Face Night."  There appear to be a number of campus-wide community building activities as well.  There was a Thanksgiving dinner planned for the campus the evening we were there.

Though they have engineering (my daughter's current interest), it is either a pre-engineering/physics degree or a 3/2 program, with a few options for partner schools.  Classes in general appear small, and in fact there is only one lecture hall of any size (and that one appears to hold a couple hundred max.)

It reminded me a lot of my alma mater, Bethel University in Minnesota, though perhaps on a slightly smaller scale (Bethel has grown a lot since I was there.)  My daughter liked it okay, and I liked it okay.  I probably preferred Gonzaga's programs, but the intimacy at Whitworth is nice.

Gonzaga had more to offer as far as engineering, certainly.  We looked in their engineering building/lab, and there was lots going on.  It appears that sports are a bigger part of the Gonzaga experience.  They said 50% of the student body is Catholic, and there were certainly many references to faith around campus, probably more so than at Whitworth.  The chapel is GORGEOUS, appears Old World even.  There is better access to downtown and running trails, which is a factor for my daughter.