Menu

People who won't make Christmas lists

Slartibartfast

I am finding it annoying when people just won't make a list.

I don't want to buy a bunch of giftcards. I find it annoying.

I don't mind a giftcard here and there but when people cannot even be bothered to make a list, it bugs.

If someone doesn't want to shop of course giftcards are ok so they can get things on their list are fine but hey, make a list!

I used to hate lists because the idea of knowing what I was getting each year was not fun. But then I had my first Christmas with dh's family and realize if I don't have a list they will get me things that are typical go to gifts for women like candles, home decor items, make up, clothes, romantic comedy movies, etc. I do not like most of those things.

I have loved lists ever since!

Maybe it's that some people feel like they're being selfish or greedy to literally make a list of stuff they want. I don't know. I've felt that way a little before when trying to make a list as requested. 

ETA that I don't think lists are necessarily selfish or greedy. They are very useful! I just think maybe it can feel that way to some people, kwim?

We don't make Christmas lists. :-) When people give us gifts, we thank them and hug their necks. We don't expect them to buy exactly what we want, because if it's something we really want, we get it ourselves. 

We don't ask for them from others. We make an effort to buy something thoughtful...and sometimes we include a gift receipt so they can exchange it if necessary.

I used to hate lists because the idea of knowing what I was getting each year was not fun. But then I had my first Christmas with dh's family and realize if I don't have a list they will get me things that are typical go to gifts for women like candles, home decor items, make up, clothes, romantic comedy movies, etc. I do not like most of those things.

See, I'd thank the people who gave them to me, and then I'd go home and donate those items to Goodwill or whatever. Then I'd buy for myself the things I really wanted. I don't expect anyone other than Mr. Ellie to buy things for me that I really want or need (and I don't give him a list, either).

I get tired of expending effort on 'thoughtful' only to be able to see quite clearly that the gift isn't what the person wanted. Besides anything else, it's a waste of money. I mean, dh once RETURNED a 'thoughtful gift' and if that's not enough to sour you on thoughtfulness, I don't know what is.

I'm sad your dh returned your gift.

Dh always has trouble buying for me. One year he knew I needed a waterproof watch for work and I also wanted it for open water races. He really didn't understand what I needed. He bought a fairly expensive dive watch, which was analog so no way could I use it to help with my race pacing. I wore that watch for four years because I knew dh put a lot of thought into trying to get just the right thing. I absolutely could not return it.

I'm sorry.  I'm good at having my kids make lists for me but it seems so *entitled* for me to have us make lists for other people.  I hate, hate, hate making lists for grandparents. I do it, mostly, but I don't love it.  I love that my mom gives me a lump sum for the kids, tells me to shop, wrap them, and put them under her tree, that way I don't have to do this dance of equality and asking for too big of a gift or too small, yada, yada. 

We never got into the habit of making lists.  When my kids were little we knew what they liked, and we bought that.  My husband and I tell each other about something we'd like sometimes, but we don't make lists.  Now, it would be easier if our kids made lists but what would be on them?

- car

- dslr

- gaming laptop

- books on x subject

We can't buy cars, dslrs and gaming laptops.  We can buy books.  But we know the subjects they like.   No need for  lists.

I used to make lists throughout the year of things I wanted. DH and I are frugal and I would only get what I wanted/needed at Christmas. But I found over the past 22 years that my Scrooge...er, I mean my dh would complain all December that "we're spending too much money!" And no, we weren't. And yes, I'm cheap, so we really weren't spending too much. It's not like I'm some sort of spendthrift. My friends make fun of me for how frugal I am. My DH just has Issues about Christmas and can barely bring himself to celebrate it. Oh, he tries, but it's hard for him.

So, this is the first year of my life where I don't have a list because I just went ahead and bought whatever I wanted for myself as soon as I wanted it. It was great! I don't even care if I don't get presents this year. This is the first year I'm not anticipating presents because it's the first year I actually already have what I want/need.

I like lists.  

We actually don't buy for anyone but the kids, so we don't get lists from anyone.  I did have the boys make us a list this year so that I'd have some ideas, but we don't necessarily stick to it.  I just know that there may be things that they think of that they'd like that wouldn't even be on my radar.  Kids can be surprising sometimes.  :)

I do love that my grandparents ask for lists.  If they didn't, it would be gift cards, because they don't want to give a gift that isn't what the kids (or DH & I) want.  We can say all we want about thoughtfulness, and yeah, that's the right way to be as the recipient of the gift, but the gift giver wants to be on the right track with the gift, too.  I appreciate that my gp aren't going out and mindlessly buying just more stuff to stick under the tree that will end up not being used or played with.  :)  I also appreciate that if there's something I'd like to have but won't necessarily buy myself because it's not necessary, I can put it on their list and most likely get it.  I don't appreciate that any less than something I didn't ask for - not do I appreciate it any more.  It's just a way of letting people know, kwim?

My ILs aren't so good with lists.  Even with them, they don't stick to them, and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.  I can't say any year was particularly bad except the time they still considered Link to be a 'little kid' and got all his cousins (1-2 years older) these cool Optimus Prime toys and gave him a baby toy that was even too young for Astro (this was many years ago, obviously - he was about 4, astro about 2).  He was devastated but tried SO hard not to show it.  To this day, I don't think anyone knows except DH and I, because he never said anything about it and neither did we.  

I don't write down my wish list but I do tell family (including cousins) what I want when ask down to brand and model number. My extended family thinks it's ok to be honest and say what you want when ask, just rude to demand someone get what you want.

My kids has a written wish list each rank by preference. My hubby doesn't expect gifts and anything goes for him.

See, I'd thank the people who gave them to me, and then I'd go home and donate those items to Goodwill or whatever. Then I'd buy for myself the things I really wanted. I don't expect anyone other than Mr. Ellie to buy things for me that I really want or need (and I don't give him a list, either).

But see, I don’t want you to go home and donate or toss the gift I went to the trouble of buying.  I see that as a waste of my time and money.  If you prefer to do your own shopping, fine.  Tell me the store you like and I’ll get a gift card.    Or that you do your grocery shopping at Kroger, or that you like to see first run movies (and the closest theater is AMC), or that your favorite charity is Habitat for Humanity. Give me a clue. 

FWIW I have ELEVEN children to buy presents for, not including my own children.

If kids could make lists of general things they like, what bands, what fandom, that would help.

I agree.  Lists are not mandates.  They are helpful hints.  ‘Billy likes Lego.  These are some sets he does not have.  He also likes transformers. Clothing size 8.   Sadie loves Frozen.  She likes to play dress-up.  She wears size 4.’   With this much information, I can shop.  If you say, ‘Oh, anything.’  I haven’t a clue.   Of course, if you give me exact descriptions and an item is in my price range, you will get that item.  Otherwise, you will get cash or a gift card toward the purchase price.

I agree.  Lists are not mandates.  They are helpful hints.  ‘Billy likes Lego.  These are some sets he does not have.  He also likes transformers. Clothing size 8.   Sadie loves Frozen.  She likes to play dress-up.  She wears size 4.’   With this much information, I can shop.  If you say, ‘Oh, anything.’  I haven’t a clue.   Of course, if you give me exact descriptions and an item is in my price range, you will get that item.  Otherwise, you will get cash or a gift card toward the purchase price.

That is what I mean.

Blah wants x or y video game. They like Doctor Who but don't get them a blah I already bought that. They also like Supernatural but please don't get them clothes with pentagrams because that leads to awkward conversations, particularly when the kid isn't Wiccan. (a lot of Supernatural stuff has pentagrams, it makes sense but I don't want my kid wearing religious symbols for faiths that are not their own, I don't think that's right)

Clothing sizes, random things they like or think are funny is nice.

I actually know quite a bit about video games, fandoms, cards games, and such. If people listed what they like I could find awesome things but I just have a cart full of itunes and not much shopping. Christmas shopping is boring. :(

I celebrate Christmas locally 4 times in 2 days with: my dad's side (5 adults, 4 kids)  my mom and step-dad's side (14 adults, 8 kids) my in-laws (6 adults, 5 kids) and my husband and kids (2 adults, 3 kids.)  All but one of those adults are married couples who want ideas for what to get the kids for Christmas.  They start asking after Halloween because one of my kids has a Nov. 23rd birthday and another January 1st.  I also have 2 more birthdays in December and 3 more in early January in addition.  Lists are required for the sake of sanity.

Most of the time they get something on their list.  Every now and then they get something else.  I notice more people ask for lists than give lists when asked for them.  That's annoying.

I hate shopping.  Every kind of shopping.  I hate guessing games.  I don't know what your 12 year old is interested in at the moment or what your 7 year old's favorite superhero is.  I don't know what kind of books your 9 year old is into at the moment.  If your kid is saving up for a laptop or special archery bow or for very specialized art supplies, I'd love to get them what they want by making a contribution to the fund.  I'm just as happy to give cash, gift cards or specific items.  I can't read their minds.  It's irrational and unrealistic to expect me to read your mind. Like I said, I hate guessing games.

Once I give a gift to someone it immediately becomes their property and they have every right to do anything they want with it. I also think it's a waste of time, money and energy to shop for someone who refuses to give helpful general ideas about what to get them and have them immediately donate the gift to someone else. They should've just told me the name of their favorite charity to begin with and I'd donate something in their name.

Love gift lists. If you don't send me one you will get nothing. I don't have the money for people to donate my unwanted gifts...If you don't have a list you get a card.

There is always stuff people need..even if they don't ' want' anything at the moment. I'm practical...I have no issues with sending packs of toilet paper if I know it will get used lol.

My SIL sent me a gift list recently that was very vague. I had to message and question her for extra details. Finally got it out of her that things like socks and back to school things like backpacks and school shoes and lunch boxes where needed. So thats what my niece is getting. My other niece is 8 months old. SIL said... she needs whatever babies need. Again very vague. I haven't decided for her yet but diaper cream is high up on the list lol.

My sister has an Amazon list for her boys which I am grateful for as she is very picky about their gifts.

For my own kids who want and need nothing I give specific book titles and the name of their favourite candy. Except for Grandma who gets much more detailed lists as she likes to buy bigger gifts but who is also practical and is quite happy to buy pyjamas if thats what is needed.

I don't usually get my kids to make me a list...I know what they want already.

My family gives me a hard time bc I always make out long lists with a wide range of options (but only when asked by my mom & MIL). I don't want them to waste money on things that I don't like, want, or need.

I love having lists for other people. I like guidance bc I don't want my gift to go to Goodwill. I don't spend my $$ for that to happen.

i have the Don't Really Want Anything family.  They are always grateful for any gifts, but there is never anything that they really WANT.  Lists would be nice - but they never really put anything on them!

For the grandparents, I usually make something up.  DD13 always needs new pencils and sketch books, so that's always an easy win for grandma.  The older kids actually appreciate gift cards, so that's what they get.

Meh. I of course say thank you and am grateful for them but I find it quite rude to go home and immediately toss a gift out of my house that someone spent time and money on. If they are going to do that then I will happily oblige with a wish list request because they would rather give me something I want than something I might want to get rid of right away.

I come from a long line of 'no gift lists', but married into a family of extreme gift-listing. :lol:  So, I used to be in the no gift list camp, thinking it was fun to find cool stuff, etc.... Over the years, I've learned to love the gift list. Of course, you can still get unexpected stuff (giving or receiving), but I really love (and need) the gift list these days.

I've become much less of a shopper (almost a non-shopper) now, plus I don't like to spend a lot of time shopping/wandering around/trying to find some nebulous items that I think might work but don't really know, so a list is really helpful. (Well, unless you have someone who gives you a list of general items, then complains with whatever you tried to buy to match those items. :glare: )

:hurray:  for gift lists!

I hate guessing games.  I don't know what your 12 year old is interested in at the moment or what your 7 year old's favorite superhero is.  I don't know what kind of books your 9 year old is into at the moment.  If your kid is saving up for a laptop or special archery bow or for very specialized art supplies, I'd love to get them what they want by making a contribution to the fund.  I'm just as happy to give cash, gift cards or specific items.  I can't read their minds.  It's irrational and unrealistic to expect me to read your mind. Like I said, I hate guessing games.

Once I give a gift to someone it immediately becomes their property and they have every right to do anything they want with it. I also think it's a waste of time, money and energy to shop for someone who refuses to give helpful general ideas about what to get them and have them immediately donate the gift to someone else. They should've just told me the name of their favorite charity to begin with and I'd donate something in their name.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I'm not a fan of the gift list. I see the point of it, though. I am so exhausted with my own shopping, etc. and hate having to come up with ideas for everyone else for my kids, too. My kids say " I don't know" and then I am left trying to come up with thoughtful, creative gifts for them for every extended relative. Just exhausting...I want someone else to put some thought into some of them, too. ;)

I like lists. I am not good at shopping for people I only see once or twice a year and our parents and grandparents have almost everything they want or need. Anything they don't have is from some sort of hobby where I wouldn't know what to buy. My MIL was into oil painting for a while, but I have no idea what paints or brushes she might need (especially since she hasn't done it in a few years) so I guess that leaves canvasses and gift cards. She also likes two specific musicians but I have no way to know which albums she already owns.

Last year at the big family gathering for DH's family, I kept a small notebook nearby me and wrote downs notes about what I overhead cousins and aunts and uncles saying they liked. For once, we have some ideas for FIL. I plan to keep the secret list again. Maybe if I do it for enough years I can fool people into thinking I'm good at buying presents.

I asked my husband what he wants for Christmas. He said, "Coffee. Or money for coffee."

I asked my parents what they want for Christmas. They said, "We're so old, we don't need anything." (which is true)

I asked my in-laws what they want for Christmas. They said, "We already have everything." (which is true)

I asked my daughters what they want for Christmas. I got lists! :party:

I really don't understand needing people to tell you what to buy them. 

If it's "you buy me this, I'll buy you that", really, why not just exchange cash?

A gift to me is all  all about showing someone that you've thought about them, noticed them, and here is something you think that person will enjoy. 

My family does not make lists, because we view "gifts" as something someone chooses for you, not e omething you ask for. If I want to place an order for an item I want, I'm capable of doing that on my own, without a middleman.

It's not a personal affront. I'm notvtrying to make things difficult for others. My family culture is simply different. So, if you find it too stressful or difficult to shop for me without a list, it's fine to just skip it. I'd rather get a sincere hug or a card with a nice personal note than a thing puclrchased out of a sense of obligation, anyway.

Why not just exchange cash ? Trust me, if I could, I would do no presents.  Compulsory Christmas buying is stressful to me.

I think people are being a bit snarky about lists.

Some of us count on having actual needs met at Christmas, so being able to give a list of items to choose from, which would be helpful, instead of getting something the giver thought was 'perfect' for us, is very much appreciated.

Some find non-list-makers annoying, while others find "tell me what to buy or I'll give you a gift card" impersonal.  I don't think one side is nicer than the other of those two options!! 

And thinking that non-list-makers don't have "actual needs met" in the holidays is not fair, honestly.  It's not like I am a wealthy socialite who barely notices if I get gifts or not.  That would be delightful but, nope.  But I have a roof over my head and enough to eat (including a whole lot of rice and beans).  Any gifts I get are accepted with grace. 

I don't mind gift cards. I get them for my nieces/nephews and my dds receive them from my brothers/sister. It is sometimes nice to receive gifts from those closest to you and receive gift cards from others to get the things you didn't get or ask for. It works for us and everyone is happy.

I have loved lists ever since!

Be glad you're not in my sister's husband's family. They got her disposable razors and crap. :/ 

My mil and sil never want anything. We just give them cash. Really, we should just start not giving anyone anything. We're just swapping money. 

Be glad you're not in my sister's husband's family. They got her disposable razors and crap. :/ 

My mil and sil never want anything. We just give them cash. Really, we should just start not giving anyone anything. We're just swapping money.

My younger sister always threatens people with Yanni CDs. Everyone in the family makes lists except Mrs Mungo's dh because he likes Yanni. He's the only one.

My amazon list is literally named, "I do not want a Yanni CD"

I am not swapping money that would just be annoying. I would just get myself something and tell them what they got me and to invite them to do the same. :lol: Or I would be, "Hey you got me a tank of gas on the way here! Thanks! It was exactly what I needed!"

I have a few things on our lists. They are things we would genuinely appreciate and use.

Problem 1) people don't usually like getting us our list items, I think because they seem boring to others? Problem 2) I don't really like gifts for me. I'd rather effort was expended for the kids. Problem 3) ILs never ask for our list, plus they're CVS Christmas shoppers or something, or clothes gift givers either 3 sizes too small or large. Problem 4) no one else has lists either! :)

So we give gift cards and I wish we received them but instead we have a big goodwill box I have to sneak around using as DH feels we should just appreciate the passport jewelry clothes hangars gifts and stuff...

My kids keep constant wish lists in their rooms. I don't ever ask for Christmas lists. If they see something they want, I tell them to write it on their list. Sometimes they earn the money to get it themselves and it gets crossed off the list, and sometimes I will get it for them as a surprise gift. Because there is no real Christmas list, I can pick and choose something off of their lists and they will feel great, or I can pick something else that I know they'd like and they won't be disappointed because I didn't get what their Christmas list said they wanted (because there's no Christmas list).

For Grandparents and relatives, I send them a few smaller options off of the kids lists and well as a few ideas of what they are into lately. That way they have the same freedom in their shopping.

I know it can be hard to shop for someone else if you aren't always sure what they really are into or wanting lately, but at the same time, I don't like my kids making demands in the form of lists and then being disappointed when those demands aren't met. To me it's a lose lose. Either I'm telling them that they get to be greedy and demanding and I should fulfill their demands, or I'm telling them that I want to know what they want so I can ignore that.

I guess maybe childhood lists left me a little bitter.

Some find non-list-makers annoying, while others find "tell me what to buy or I'll give you a gift card" impersonal.  I don't think one side is nicer than the other of those two options!! 

And thinking that non-list-makers don't have "actual needs met" in the holidays is not fair, honestly.  It's not like I am a wealthy socialite who barely notices if I get gifts or not.  That would be delightful but, nope.  But I have a roof over my head and enough to eat (including a whole lot of rice and beans).  Any gifts I get are accepted with grace.

I was talking about wanting lists for children, I buy things on the list. If an adult wants a GC I don't care. Bleck, shopping for adults is not very fun. I have no idea what to get my parents and dh's parents this year.

I have adult relatives that don't make lists, I always buy them scarves, gloves, awesome threadless socks, books, you know...little things adults like. I do like shopping for kids, even if I hate the mall and just do most of my shopping online.

Why not just exchange cash ? Trust me, if I could, I would do no presents. Compulsory Christmas buying is stressful to me.

I think people are being a bit snarky about lists.

Some of us count on having actual needs met at Christmas, so being able to give a list of items to choose from, which would be helpful, instead of getting something the giver thought was 'perfect' for us, is very much appreciated.

Totally agree with this.. I would prefer not to buy my neice her 10th Barbie when she desperately needs new school shoes or pyjamas.

I think at this point I would seriously prefer to buy for a stranger than someone who gives me no darn idea what they would like!

I know this isn't quite what you meant, but the best "present" I ever got was a note from a friend letting me know she had donated to my former church's angel tree iny honor. So, fom my point of view, you're welcome to shop for a stranger instead of for me.

Ugh, so now wanting a list equates to a lack of grace ? I give up.

No, that's not fair.  I was talking about my attitude, not yours.

This reminds me of discussions where one mom says "I feel so blessed to be able to breastfeed my child" and the other says "It's wrong of you to judge formula users".  Both are coming from legitimate places but there is some unfortunate disconnect somewhere that results in hurt feelings.

I am finding it annoying when people just won't make a list.I don't want to buy a bunch of giftcards. I find it annoying.I don't mind a giftcard here and there but when people cannot even be bothered to make a list, it bugs.If someone doesn't want to shop of course giftcards are ok so they can get things on their list are fine but hey, make a list!

It's November!!!

I am finding it annoying when people just won't make a list.

I don't want to buy a bunch of giftcards. I find it annoying.

I don't mind a giftcard here and there but when people cannot even be bothered to make a list, it bugs.

If someone doesn't want to shop of course giftcards are ok so they can get things on their list are fine but hey, make a list!

I insist on lists. So far, my dds have sent Word Documents with websites and pictures. ;) This is good, since a couple of my kids never want anything and I hate guessing.

Way back someone said something about obligatory gift-giving, or something that made me think of it. 

I find obligatory gift-giving so difficult and stressful, and I have almost stopped doing it.  The only obligatory gifts I can't get out of are my in-laws.  And my husband has tried and tried to get out of exchanging gifts with them, but they equate gifts with showing love, so we keep it up. 

But I have less than a handful of people outside my immediate family to buy gifts for.  A few close friends get a bottle of wine or a favorite spirit.  Some long-distance friends get a "care package" type gift of little things we think the family would like:  coffee, tea, cookies, a cute pincushion for the sewist, a beautiful dish towel, stuff like that.  Little ones get books.  Local people we enjoy get invited over for food and drink.   It's not really a gift to them but it's a symbol of goodwill and friendship. 

It has made gift-giving season so much easier for me.   Oh, we also don't get gifts from people outside our family, unless you count a contribution to a meal or some chocolate as a hostess gift.  So we also don't get a lot of stuff we don't need.  No more scented candles or soap products (which set off allergies), no more poorly-fitting clothing.

But I will mention one of the best gifts I've ever gotten.  When I was about 20, my sister was an Avon lady for a while.  (Avon is a makeup and personal care products company that used to sell door-to-door.)  One year she gave me a packing box full of the products I used, each individually wrapped.  Deodorant, hand cream, shampoo... it was so great because I didn't have any money so that gift freed up some cash so I could buy something fun.  

We don't exchange presents with adults. I give my parents coffee beans or loose tea on xmas eve just as a symbolic gift under the tree. That's it. I can't remember when we stopped the presents for adults thing but it's been way more than 10 yrs ago. It sure makes life a lot simpler to not be buying gifts for anyone except my kids.

We give our kids presents (even the 19yo still though this might be the last year because she's technically well into adult territory now) & I ask for a list. This yr I got one from both of them by end of Oct & did pretty much all the shopping 1st week of Nov. It was etsy & books & other online stores. I just have a couple books to buy for ds & we're done.