Menu

Harry Potter Curriculum

KaceeM

Would anyone be interested in using a literature curriculum based on the Harry Potter series? I wrote it a few years ago for a friend because her daughter loved the books and she wanted her to be able to understand the symbolism and classical roots in the books. It is a two year course done 3 days per week. The first four books are read the first year at 9 weeks per book. The last three are read the second year at 12 week's per book. It breaks down and defines all of the Latin and Greek roots in the books, which consist of mainly names and spells. It also covers the Greek mythological influences and cultural influences in the books, an example being Fawkes the phoenix being named after Guy Fawkes. It is a multi-sensory curriculum, there are plenty of projects and activities included. At the moment it is all in a notebook but if anyone was interested I would be happy to put it up for download. I would recommended it for students in 4th-9th grade but it could feasibly be completed by an advanced 3rd grader. Older grades who love the books would probably enjoy it as well.

• Like 22

I am going through and cleaning it up right now and reformatting it. Would it be easier if I put it up as separate guides per book or as the Year 1 and Year 2 bundles? For each book there are teacher notes and lesson plans, a notebook guide, comprehension questions, character pages, an activity guide, narration prompts, the Vocabulary and Cultural Connection pages and a "spell book" guide. A few of those are resources used for the entire curriculum though.

• Like 3

I am going through and cleaning it up right now and reformatting it. Would it be easier if I put it up as separate guides per book or as the Year 1 and Year 2 bundles? For each book there are teacher notes and lesson plans, a notebook guide, comprehension questions, character pages, an activity guide, narration prompts, the Vocabulary and Cultural Connection pages and a "spell book" guide. A few of those are resources used for the entire curriculum though.

You could list it as each - listing for each book individually, for those that want that, and you could list it as year bundles.

• Like 2

I vote for individual titles with an option for bundling all of them.

This sounds really wonderful.  I think I'd prefer to have the books separated, which will make it easier for users to find where they are at if they chose to use the lesson plans digitally rather than printing.   As far as workbook or reusable book---it depends on the format.  You might consider having the lesson plans and directions for activities in one file and then things like questions and such in a separate file to be printed as a workbook (if desired).

• Like 1

Alright, the Sorcerers Stone will be out in December. The plan is to publish the rest of them every 4-5 weeks. They will be pdf work texts. I'll also publish the guide I wrote for The Giver by Lois Lowery and Anthem by Ayn Rand. Its aimed at 6-8Th graders. It compares the two books and is a gentle intro to Rand.

• Like 10

Alright, the Sorcerers Stone will be out in December. The plan is to publish the rest of them every 4-5 weeks. They will be pdf work texts. I'll also publish the guide I wrote for The Giver by Lois Lowery and Anthem by Ayn Rand. Its aimed at 6-8Th graders. It compares the two books and is a gentle intro to Rand.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Thank you.

Awesome!