• I buy pie
    • other
  3. 3. canned pumpkin or bake your own pumpkin

• I bake pie pumpkins
    • canned
    • since I buy the pie, why would I bake a pumpkin
    • other

Whoa, I am the first voter!

But actually I've done all of the choices, at one time or another. I voted the way I more typically do it.

I wish I had bought a pie at Costco when I was there the other night.    Or, I wish I had made a few pie crusts ahead and stashed them in the freezer.  

So, for tomorrow, it's canned pumpkin, using the recipe on the can, with a bought crust.   Well, I may try this one, from King Arthur Flour, which is new to me.

I've tried lots of recipes but I think I like the nostalgic feeling I get when I eat "Mom's recipe" (which is the recipe on the can). 

I used to never make pumpkin pie because I didn't like it. I learned dd liked when she was very small. Then dd was diagnosed celiac and then we were advised to go dairy free. We aren't dairy free anymore, but we still like our gfcf coconut pumpkin pie. I'm waiting for it to bake before I start on more stuff to get ready for tomorrow.

I make the crust and bake the pumpkin because I usually  can't find canned pumpkin or prepared crusts.  I don't like store-bought pies of any type because they're too sweet. I use the recipe from the can except I cut down on the sugar and increase the spices. And I often don't have evaporated milk so I use whatever I can find like Mexican crema, whipping cream, coconut milk, powdered milk, regular milk, sour cream, etc.  Pumpkin pie isn't very picky.

I think crusts are easy, but I have no standards.  Mine are really, really ugly.  But they're yummy.

I need this recipe!!!!  This is our first year GF and DF and I'm scrambling for dessert recipes today.

I used to never make pumpkin pie because I didn't like it. I learned dd liked when she was very small. Then dd was diagnosed celiac and then we were advised to go dairy free. We aren't dairy free anymore, but we still like our gfcf coconut pumpkin pie. I'm waiting for it to bake before I start on more stuff to get ready for tomorrow.

My grandma's super-secret pumpkin pie recipe (which was passed on to the grandkids after her death) is the recipe from the back of a can of Libby's pumpkin. It is the older version, the one that says 1 cup of evaporated milk instead of 1 can of evaporated milk (or whatever the exact measurement is). I have been making it at the holidays for years, and it is always a hit. I do adjust the spices a tad, though. I increase the cinnamon and add a smidge of allspice and nutmeg.

I usually use canned pumpkin because it is easier.  I use the recipe on the can unless I don't have the right type of milk.  Then I dig out my conversion recipe.  I make my pie crust with butter rather than lard (my grandmother) or Crisco (my mom).

The few times I have used pie pumpkins, I cooked them on the stove.  Baking it would be less trouble than chopping and pealing raw pumpkin.

Canned pumpkin because it's really hard to find a good pie pumpkin here this time of year.  Two flops (moldy inside) have taught me to just use canned puree and be happy with it.

Crust from scratch because DD13 wants to learn pie crusts this year.  I'm perfectly happy with boxed pie crust, but some traditions must be carried on.

Recipe from somewhere else.  I like this one - the pepper in the puree sounds odd but makes a divine spicy pumpkin pie!  My grandmother used to make pumpkin pie with pepper, but never wrote down any of her recipes.  I had to search the internet to find one that matched. I use heavy cream since I never have any "light cream" on hand (whatever that is).  Crust was always lard or crisco, but I use frozen butter myself.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pumpkin-pie-recipe

I need this recipe!!!!  This is our first year GF and DF and I'm scrambling for dessert recipes today.

This is from Living Without years ago (hmm why can't I find it online)

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Pumpkin Coconut Pie

*If you don't want coconut you can use 1 3/4 Cup heavy cream or milk of choice (rice, soy, hemp, nut)

Filling

3/4 C brown sugar

1 T cornstarch or potato starch

1/2 t salt

1 1/2 t ground cinnamon

1/2 t ground ginger

1/4 t ground cloves

3 large eggs (may use pureed silken tofu in place of eggs)

1 14 ounce can coconut milk

1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (I cook my pumpkins and measure what I get)

1/2 C sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted (this is easy to burn when you are trying to toast it)

1 9inch pie crust

1. preheat oven to 425F

2. combine sugar, cornstarch and spices

3. beat eggs and coconut milk, add pumpkin

4 . add sugar mixture to pumpkin mixture beat to combine

5. sprinkle toasted coconut over bottom of par baked crust, reserve some for garnish

6. bake pie in preheated oven for 15 minutes

7. lower temp to 350F and bake for 40-50 minutes more or until knife inserted comes out clean.

8. remove from oven and sprinkle remaining coconut over top (if desired). let coo on a wire rack for 2 hours. serve or refridgerate.

I make my own crust which is gluten free, but not dairy free. I've also bake the custard with no crust--this is nice if you have individual custard bowls.

Here is a the crust recipe included with this pie which is gluten free dairy free

1 1/4 C gf all purpose flour blend

1/4 C coconut flour or 1/4 C more of gf blend

1 t xanthum gum

3/4 t salt

1 T sugar

1/2 t baking powder

1 t agar powder (or more xanthum gum)

6 T nondairy butter substitute cut in small pieces

3 T shortening

3-4 T cold water

1 t cider vinegar

1. put first seven ingredients in food processor with steel blade. Pulse

2. add butter and shortening. pulse until it looks like coarse meal

3. add half waterand all vinegar. Process until it starts to form a ball.

4. roll out dough between sheets of plastic wrap (I would use wax paper) Remove top sheet and press into pan. remove other sheet.

5. prick bottom several times place in freezer while preheating oven to 375F

6. bake 15 minutes remove from over and raise temp to 425 F for pie

DS is our resident pumpkin pie baker. It's his favorite food, hands down, followed probably by mushrooms (thankfully he doesnt put those in the pie!). The Libby's recipe has never failed and is always perfect, especially with Whole Foods pre made crust. It might be the only recipe I've ever actually followed without tweaking. DS adds in vanilla; it's his "secret ingredient". :)

Normally we do the recipe on the back of the Libby's can...with evaporated milk.  I buy the refrigerated pie crusts and usually I use the other one to make a turkey pot pie with leftovers.

This year, I saw Mrs. Smith frozen ones on sale for $3.99.  We're giving it a try.  I just feel too overwhelmed this holiday, and this makes my life a little easier.

Oh, we also like the recipe using canned pumpkin and Bisquik. I think it's Impossibly Easy Pumpkin Pie? Was going to try it with GF Bisquick...but it might be next week with leftovers.

Other. My mom bakes the pumpkin pies.

She does used canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling) and I believe she uses the recipe on the can. She makes her own crust because the store-bought ones all have food dye in them (except Trader Joes, but too expensive).

I never eat the crust. And it needs to be served on a dinner-sized plate so the whipped cream can overflow the serving of pie. :drool5:  And I don;t care if the whipped cream is homemade or from a squirty can, as long as it isn;t Cool Whip. :ack2:

I voted for my dad, since he is the official pie baker of the family!  :)  He has an awesome recipe that (I think) he got from his mom.  He uses canned pumpkin in his recipe, but he makes the crust from scratch.  It is truly delicious crust.  When we eat his pie, my kid compliments his crust rather than the filling.  ;)  But to me the whole thing is to die for.

He also whips the whipping cream, if anyone wants to know.  :)

I buy the can of Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix and a graham cracker crust.  Since my dd is allergic to milk and eggs, I just dump the can into the crust (adding nothing else) and bake.  Then refrigerate overnight for best texture.  (Although it will never be as firm as the regular kind.)  My dd loves pumpkin pie.

I do this, except we don't have a problem with milk or eggs so I use them.  The graham cracker crust makes it really good!  We like it so much better than a regular pie crust.

I answered that I bake the pie using a homemade crust, a slightly different recipe than what is on the can and that I bake my pumpkin.  But, the baking my own pumpkin thing is only this year, since I got a nice sugar pumpkin in my last CSA delivery this fall.  Off to fight the crowds at the store for the handful of ingredients I forgot to add to the list this weekend. 

I have baked pie pumpkins in the past, this year going easy with the canned.  I do toss a handful of brown sugar on the bottom crust before I pourin the filling - makes a nice line of darker brown sweetness between the pumpkin and the crust (my grandma did this. I do it for apple pies, too.)

I also use my grandma's pie crust recipe of flour, dash salt, enough oil to almost make it look like pie crust, then cold water to finish.  Mix lightly with a fork, roll out between sheets of waxed paper and use the paper to lift into the pan. 

I make the crust and bake the pumpkin because I usually can't find canned pumpkin or prepared crusts. I don't like store-bought pies of any type because they're too sweet. I use the recipe from the can except I cut down on the sugar and increase the spices. And I often don't have evaporated milk so I use whatever I can find like Mexican crema, whipping cream, coconut milk, powdered milk, regular milk, sour cream, etc. Pumpkin pie isn't very picky.

I think crusts are easy, but I have no standards. Mine are really, really ugly. But they're yummy.

We started using regular cream from our local dairy last year and will never go back to canned milk!

I bake a crustless pumpkin pie that is half pumpkin, with some acorn squash and butternut squash mixed in. Lots of spice, eggs, and milk with a thickening agent (that changes depending on which group will me eating it). I have made it with rice milk as well with really good results.

My mom always used the canned pumpkin and a frozen (purchased) crust.

My MIL is the pie queen, so after I got married, I had to learn how to make a homemade crust.  I still use the recipe on the pie can, though.  I've tried others and I actually like it best!  I do add a dash of rum, use blackstrap instead of regular molasses, and I've taken to using mostly stevia instead of sugar, but it's basically still the same old OnePie recipe.  I don't even buy OnePie pumpkin, anymore - I switched to organic canned pumpkin, but I wrote the recipe from the OnePie can down... :blush:

I do use an unconventional crust for the pumpkin pie, though.  I make 'regular' crusts for my other pies, but for the pumpkin I use a crust that I stole from a pear pie recipe - it has crushed walnuts and cinnamon in it.

I love fresh pumpkin, so I grow my own sugar pumpkins just for Thanksgiving pie. I always have extra, so I freeze all of the extra puree for pumpkin bread and muffins and scones and soup. :)

I've got a pie pumpkin roasting in the oven right now, as a matter of fact.

I use The New Best Recipe recipe, just sub fresh pumpkin for canned.

Cat

If I am making a pumpkin pie, I always make my own crust and use my mom's recipe for the pumpkin filling.  I try to always bake my own pumpkin, I like the flavor much better, but we can't always get the right kind of pumpkins around here.  My mom and dad always grew their own, so we used those growing up. 

This year we are going to the IL's and the pumpkin pie will be a bought one from my nephews school fundraiser. I am making one for at home for DH since he doesn't like store bought.  I am bringing a pumpkin cheesecake with a homemade ginger snap cookie crust.  It is in the oven now and smells wonderful.

We always get a whole bunch of pie pumpkins in our CSA share on the early fall so I just bake them all at one time, puree, and freeze in pie-appropriate portions to use the whole year.  

No one in my family can stand store-bought crust so I am on the hook there.  I make it with real butter so it is not as flakey as the crisco crusts I grew up on but still good.

We also usually have too much cream from our weekly dairy share so I typically use that instead of evaporated milk and use whatever is left over to whip up into the topping.

for me it goes like this.   I was gong to make pumpkin pie hwoever, I used my last can of pumpkin  I had on hand to make a pumpkin crunch cake for a get together  but did not know this until I was ready to bake the pie.   So I went to Publix bought Mrs. Smith pumpkin pie and it's now baking.